Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 07:01 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,813,452 times

Advertisements

Some of the best things you get out of life are the enjoyments of your pets. I grew up in a dog environment. Had a relative who had a purebred Dalmatian kennel. He kept us in Dalmatians for many years. They were beautiful dogs but shed indoors profusely. So it was mine and my younger brother's job to pick up the dog hair. You get used to that after a while.

After attending UC and getting married, buying a house, and having two kids we decided had to have a dog. So we did the normal thing - go look for a dog. We ended up with a Norwegian Elkhound we named Viking. He was a fine dog, even if he did not pay any attention to my wife. Let me revise that, he paid attention, just growled at and ignored her. Over a period of years acquired a female collie/german shepard mix from the neighborhood we simply called Missy. She was a great dog. Next thing I know we have 3 dogs in the house as the one daughter's fiancee bought her a Japanese Akita as a gift.

Suddenly the youngest daughter asks for a cat. I go OK go to the SPCA up in Lebanon and pick one out. If it is not already you will take it to the local vet to be declawed. OH dad that is so cruel! Cruel or not that is the rule of this house. We ended up with that cat for 17 years. Noticed she was behaving unusual, took her to the vet and were informed she had a tumor in the head behind the eyes causing her to go blind. So we had her put down. Two days later we were in the Sharonville SPCA for a new cat. We now have had this one for about 3 years. There is no better remembrances than your pets.

So lets hear it out there pet lovers, how much do you receive from your pets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 07:21 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,950,769 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/pets/

Old 04-01-2015, 07:37 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
Declawing will be illegal everywhere someday. In the meantime, I would tell you that declawing the cat is like blinding your dog. I will make him easier to control but then that is really not a good enough reason, is it?

Old 04-01-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Declawing will be illegal everywhere someday. In the meantime, I would tell you that declawing the cat is like blinding your dog. I will make him easier to control but then that is really not a good enough reason, is it?
Sure it is. If you decide your cat will be strictly indoors I have no problem with declawing. The cat doesn't seem to miss it either. Having had two now have no regrets at all. Those who want to complain go and castrate all of the bulls out there.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:04 AM

30,541 posts, read 16,236,133 times
Declawing is a form of mutilation.

Bulls have nothing to do with it.

But adopting from a shelter is good! Thank you for that.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:48 AM

You can call declawing mutilation all you want. So is spaying and neutering which I also believe in. Now on our 2nd cat from a shelter, wouldn't do it any other way. Went to the shelter, went in with the cats, and waited for one to come up to us. That's the one, sign us up.

This cat is a real joy. At night she comes into the bedroom where I sleep, jumps up, and lays on me to sleep. Wants me to scratch her head some, but basically just enjoys being close. I enjoy it too. If a field mouse gets into the house she is not a good chaser. Oh she chases all right, but the objective is to play. Once she wears them out I will just pick up and toss back outside.

She just loves being held. During the day she is in the wife's handicapped chair in the family room. When the oldest daughter who lives with us comes home from work she is in her lap within seconds.

She has several what we call her thrones around the house. They are all cushions in one window or the other. She follows the sunbeams, sits or lays on the cushion, and looks out the window at the activity. She is completely engrossed with the chipmunks who occupy the beds around our house, likely since they are small.

A pet is a form of solitude to a home, brings peace and harmony. We have several neighbors who have cats and pitch them outdoors at night. Now that is what I consider cruel.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:37 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
I have a dog and 2 clawed cats....the cats NEVER scratch anything except their scratching posts and their cat tree.

I will never declaw a cat. It is cruel and unnecessary.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I have a dog and 2 clawed cats....the cats NEVER scratch anything except their scratching posts and their cat tree.

I will never declaw a cat. It is cruel and unnecessary.
You have your criteria and I have mine. Do you not consider spaying or neuteuring not cruel or unnecessary? Sorry we will disagree.

But we will agree to keep our pets happy.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:39 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
You have your criteria and I have mine. Do you not consider spaying or neuteuring not cruel or unnecessary? Sorry we will disagree.

But we will agree to keep our pets happy.
I also keep mine healthy....wet and raw food only.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:20 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,950,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Do you not consider spaying or neuteuring not cruel or unnecessary?
You should have been neutered.

Declawing Cats: Far Worse Than a Manicure : The Humane Society of the United States

Humans get vasectomies and tubal ligations all the time, they just don't have their fingertip bones removed at the nail salon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets