Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2019, 09:24 AM

11 posts, read 11,302 times

Advertisements

A few days ago I posted about my issues with being too thin (I know poor me) and I really liked the feedback I received from you guys. This is a very nice community and it's overall extremely welcoming and the way everyone handles my particular issue was very kind.

In that post, I brought up fitness applications and my disappointment in the lack of effective options. There are a few here and there that do a pretty good job of setting up habits for people, but honestly, they feel very bare bones and most of them are just checklists with different names slapped on top of them.

I have a bit of experience creating applications so I figured I might try my hand at making a better one, but before I sink hours and hours of time into this project I wanted to see what people in the community have to say about what's currently available, and my idea in regards to the competition.

My Question to Y'all

My first question is, how many of you use an application to assist you in your fitness goals and are you satisfied with what they provide? Personally, I just use an app called "Tasks" which is just a super simple checklist. It has helped me make some good morning routines but its fairly simple and puts most of the work into the hands of the user (which is not always a bad thing, but it's not always optimal).

The Idea

My "idea" is to produce a mobile application that takes advantage of habit-forming strategies and does a little more guiding when it comes to the process. There would be courses, specially designed for a given goal that takes a lot of the "input goal here, input tasks here, input work here" out of the equation, which is what I find most frustrating about many of the apps available today. The application would also be intelligent in how it notifies you, attempting to catch you when you stumble or fall on your path. Providing a little motivation at the toughest points to give you a little boost when you need it most.

Now, I'm a very visual person, and I'm sure many of you are as well. So I put together a fancy image to help put the concept into form.

https://ibb.co/6rnKBGh

This also shows the hardware aspect, which would take advantage of association by allowing the user to physically "Click" a button upon completing a goal or task. This has been shown to significantly help in the reinforcement process of good habits and takes advantage of Classical Conditioning.

I have a lot of the details figured out, but I didn't want this post to be more of a novel than it already is. If you have any questions feel free to ask in the comments.

TL;DR

It would be an app that combines the aspects of a checklist, self-help courses, and real-world psychology to produce better results for us. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thank you for reading =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 11:38 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCranberry View Post
My first question is, how many of you use an application to assist you in your fitness goals and are you satisfied with what they provide? Personally, I just use an app called "Tasks" which is just a super simple checklist. It has helped me make some good morning routines but its fairly simple and puts most of the work into the hands of the user (which is not always a bad thing, but it's not always optimal).
I use Nike training NTC and It has helped me a lot in my goals.

Your idea of the app looks good to me, but in my opinion is important to show videos in movement of the rutines.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:15 AM

3 posts, read 782 times
Hey guys am curious about what your biggest problems are in regards to Fitness. Please fill out my survey below, I'll be more than happy to share the results, let's brainstorm some solutions together.
[url]https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeNda9K8KpJXIdSigUydv2ub3jAI7eNJIC-rWstJIoy-8Wuxw/viewform?usp=pp_url&fbclid=IwAR322cyngOLVVAQEPX0KW 9qsas8xJn8ZKEoGOucVBXR8w7bZZXs2ttkOXUU[/url]

Old 07-19-2019, 03:26 AM

3 posts, read 782 times
Default Fitness Survey

Hey guys am curious about what your biggest problems are in regards to Fitness. Please fill out my survey below, I'll be more than happy to share the results, let's brainstorm some solutions together.

Copy the link below and paste into a new tab and click enter to view.

Note! Copy from https: to pp_url and ignore the [url] beside the link for it to be successful.

Cheers!

[url]https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeNda9K8KpJXIdSigUydv2ub3jAI7eNJIC-rWstJIoy-8Wuxw/viewform?usp=pp_url[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness