Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 03:43 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
What school district is this that has an elementary school running club? I 100% doubt that this is true. There is no way in the world that any elementary school, public or private will have students running 4-5 miles three times per week. It just isnt true. This is fake.
My kids had a running club during school. No teacher said how far they had to run. They did not even have to run and could just walk. However, I know there were plenty of times that my son ran 3 miles and at least once that he ran 4 in the period they had for it. Id say this isn't fake. Just because you didn't do it doesn't make something fake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 05:24 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Just because you didn't do it doesn't make something fake.
Nah. Its fake. I dont have to do it to know that its fake. There are no grade school running clubs that meet after lunch 3-4 times per week. There just isnt. If you choose to believe this baloney then that is on you. I know this to not be true at all.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:31 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
Whaaaat?

Elementary school kids are running near 10k distances after lunch in a "running club"?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

The period right after lunch, in an elementary school, is recess. Traditional outdoor school playground recess, or indoor classroom/cafeteria activity recess. Depending on the particular school. A 30 minute period, maybe?

The average mile time for the average 10 year-old is maybe, what...10 minutes? And that's being quite generous.

So we're talking about a minimum of 40 minutes for this after-lunch "running club". Assuming they can run a 10-minute mile for the duration of all 4 miles. Which probably is not the case.

The average HIGH SCHOOL freshman CROSS COUNTRY team runner runs maybe 20-25 miles per week. With a permission slip. Signed by a parent. Allowing their high schooler to do 5k practice runs around town or the streets nearby the high school.

And this elementary school has elementary school-aged kids doing 12-15 miles per week as a "club" activity?

Where is an elementary school "running club" group doing 4-5 mile runs? I doubt that any elementary school would allow kids to go off school grounds for 4-5 mile runs, to be possible hit-and-run victims, or pedophile bait.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:58 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
I have two girls under 12. Their Elementary School has a running club that meets on campus multiple times a week (I think twice a week before school) and yes, some of the kids run several miles. The annual Fall carnival has a 5K run, and the kids who enter (mostly the same kids who are in the running club) are in it to win it. In the Spring, the PE coaches also have a special team building running group for only the 5th grade girls that lasts for several weeks and culminates in participation in a local 5K.

So, while what the OP describes seems like a lot more running that I did in Elementary School, I certainly believe their post to be plausible. Docendo makes a good point about the time involved for an average kid to run 4-5 miles, though.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:18 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
I grew up in a running family & did 5 & 10-mile races all the time that we trained daily for. Nobody understood the runner's culture back then & as I'd pass all my friend's houses they'd ask me; 'Who are you running away from?' I even got picked up once by a worried cop who insisted on driving me home.

Athletic clubs in elementary school grew in popularity during the Obama administration because 'childhood obesity' was the first lady's pet cause but they were all afterschool activities. I didn't think federal regs allowed for instructional time to be used for these activities but certain grades might have PE class scheduled after lunch.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:29 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I grew up in a running family & did 5 & 10-mile races all the time that we trained daily for. Nobody understood the runner's culture back then & as I'd pass all my friend's houses they'd ask me; 'Who are you running away from?' I even got picked up once by a worried cop who insisted on driving me home.

Athletic clubs in elementary school grew in popularity during the Obama administration because 'childhood obesity' was the first lady's pet cause but they were all afterschool activities. I didn't think federal regs allowed for instructional time to be used for these activities but certain grades might have PE class scheduled after lunch.
Many schools have recess after lunch. I would imagine that the running club is during this time, although 4-5 miles during a 30-minute recess seems really excessive for an elementary school. It’s possible these kids have a longer recess of 40-45 minutes, which would be more reasonable for a kid to be able to run 4-5 miles.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:16 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Nah. Its fake. I dont have to do it to know that its fake. There are no grade school running clubs that meet after lunch 3-4 times per week. There just isnt. If you choose to believe this baloney then that is on you. I know this to not be true at all.
I am with you. No school public or private will be having children 10 or younger run those kinds of distances. And it being a 'club' is even stranger. Clubs are extra circular that kids attend during lunch or after school. No school is going to allow a club to meet during precious educational hours. PE classes can be after lunch but do not have kids run distances except around a track, and I would imagine never more than a mile at that age.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:33 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
OP, how old are your children? Why is the running club after lunch and not after school?? Regardless if it's elementary, middle, or high school, don't they have class again after lunch until 2 PM - 3 PM?

Old 09-13-2019, 02:55 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times
Quote:
So what my kids were doing wasn't actually happening either? Interesting.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
What school district is this that has an elementary school running club? I 100% doubt that this is true. There is no way in the world that any elementary school, public or private will have students running 4-5 miles three times per week. It just isnt true. This is fake.
Quote:
No need to worry about this. The OP is not telling us a truthful story. There are no elementary schools that have "running clubs" where students (grade 5 and below) are pulled out of regular class three to four times per week to go running for 4-5 miles.
Some of the elementary schools in my area have "walking clubs" during their recess after they eat lunch. Yes, they can walk five days a week. Some of the children do run, during that time, but I don't know how far the fastest runners can go in the 30 to 40 minute recess break. In those schools the student would have from 20 (minimum) to 30 (maximum) minutes to eat lunch then 30 to 40 minutes of play time. It is possible that the "runners" in this school made arrangements to completely skip lunch, or their school has a shorter lunch period, and the kids have a full hour for running. And, if that happened (that my child would be allowed to totally skip lunch), as a parent, I would be miffed, too.

Also, it is possible that the school may have a completely different type of recess system, with a much longer free period.

As an elementary school student my son entered numerous competitive "fun runs" on the weekends ranging from two miles to five miles and one time entered a ten mile race. Some of those children were extremely fast.

Last edited by germaine2626; 09-13-2019 at 05:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness