Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 01:09 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Emma Gonzalez, the young lady who was viewed by millions last year, making a Gun-control speech outside the U.S. Capitol, had on tattered, shredded blue-jeans.
She did care about her looks, apparently, because she was wearing the latest fashion!

Old 09-23-2019, 01:53 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ha, I was in Jersey, too, no school buses and no sidewalks. We didn't have a wealthy side--the next town over was the wealthy one.

Now it's different there. Still no school buses, but there are sidewalks now and the parents all drive the kids everywhere, and it's no longer a working-class small town but an expensive suburb.
Here in IL we have buses for short distances for the small kids, but that’s only due to the large intersection (8 lanes) the kids would have to cross to get to the school. That’s not a plausible solution. The kids who live about 3 blocks down are in another school district where it is easily/safely walkable (I walk past the school sometimes during my lunchtime exercise walk break)- with only two-lane roads and stop signs and a mailperson who walks to deliver mail. The high school kids do walk because it is very close. It is still across a larger intersection of 6 lanes, but the older kids are better able to handle it. They cannot/do not put the school zone up on that road, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 02:19 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I was 20 when Woodstock happened. When I was a kid in the 50s and 60s, I walked everywhere, or at least walked to a bus stop, to get places. There were a few TV shows, but nobody spent much time sitting around watching it. Kids went out to play, and did not want to stay in the house.

We did not have soda or snacks. We had 3 meals at scheduled times and that is it.
In grade school, I walked to school in the morning, walked home for lunch, then back to school.

We had no convenience foods. We did not have fried foods.

I confess that I play a game if I find myself in a place to people watch. I count the fat people, and figure the percentage of fat people to regular people. There are always more fat people than non. I could stand to lose 20#, but I dont know how people let themselves get morbidly obese. The saddest thing is to see young families with fat parents and fat children.
You never ate fried chicken or a Swanson TV dinner growing up?

As for kids walking today, how many parents want to take a risk of letting them walk anywhere? I'm not talking about the bad guys being out there. I'm talking about Nosy Nellies and the police who will arrest anyone who lets their kid walk more than a block in any direction.

When I was 8, I roamed for miles and hours by myself and with friends. I was walking the 4 block to school when I was in first grade. Now I read about cops who threaten parents with CPS if their kids walk their dog around the block and women who call the cops on kids just walking by her house on the way to the park. One woman even called CPS on a neighbor's kids because they were playing out in the rain - in their own backyard! She wanted the mother to bring them in because they were getting wet.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:29 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
IMO, it is the whole "do what you want, be lazy if you want" lifestyle. It is just much easier and cheaper not to care. And if no one else cares either, then why bother? Fifty years ago and more, people would care what the neighbors and even strangers would think, but I think we are so generally isolated right now, that most people just don't care what almost anyone else thinks about their appearance -- and when someone does criticize someone's appearance on social media, more often than not it is the "critic" who is criticized for being so judgmental, and not the slob or exhibitionist or "human whale" s/he was criticizing.

Now, I personally love dressing in comfortable clothes, and I could stand to lose 10-20 pounds (which, of course, is not the same as needing to lose 100+, but . . . ), and I have also been known to be judgmental, too, but the above was only my attempt to answer the thread's question.

P.S. I also agree that it is the convenience food that is much of the problem. Kraft macaroni and cheese is much cheaper and much less trouble to make than a dinner of salad, grilled salmon, and fresh broccoli. And if you want something sweet, nothing is simpler than opening a container of Ben and Jerry's at about 1,000 calories per pint.

Last edited by katharsis; 09-23-2019 at 03:27 PM..

Old 09-23-2019, 02:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
People have become way too comfortable with their shortcomings
It’s no longer about self improvement it is now all about self acceptance
Watched a video of American bandstand yesterday 1965 all in dresses, coat and tie doing the fox trot
And again 1969 jeans tennis shoes short sleeve doing the frug
It has not been a gradual decline but first came the outward decline that was sudden

Old 09-23-2019, 02:38 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You never ate fried chicken or a Swanson TV dinner growing up?

As for kids walking today, how many parents want to take a risk of letting them walk anywhere? I'm not talking about the bad guys being out there. I'm talking about Nosy Nellies and the police who will arrest anyone who lets their kid walk more than a block in any direction.

When I was 8, I roamed for miles and hours by myself and with friends. I was walking the 4 block to school when I was in first grade. Now I read about cops who threaten parents with CPS if their kids walk their dog around the block and women who call the cops on kids just walking by her house on the way to the park. One woman even called CPS on a neighbor's kids because they were playing out in the rain - in their own backyard! She wanted the mother to bring them in because they were getting wet.
Nope, no fried chicken, but I did have TV dinners when I went to my friend’s house and her parents went out for the evening. They were a treat.

Interestingly, my youngest grandchild, a toddler, goes to a daycare in which the children go outside to play every day, rain or shine. They are expected to dress appropriately for the weather. The lady who runs it is old school. She even bakes bread for them every day.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:44 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Like one of the above posters mentioned, when we were kids we were outside doing something all the time or walking here and there. I seldom remember us in the house unless it was rainy. Even w/ the snow and cold we were out roaming around. It sets the stage for activity through out life I think, keeping you healthy.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:21 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
When I watch Nat. Geo. episodes filmed in Africa, I notice the men looking lean and fit; as they still must perform manual labor for a living.
Even as little as 30 years ago, we in the U.S. had more careers involving at least some physical activity.
Most of those jobs have been converted to tech, also eliminating PE in school is not helping.
As mentioned, social acceptance of over-weight conditions also adds to the very expensive problem; as it relates to health care costs.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:28 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
People have become way too comfortable with their shortcomings
It’s no longer about self improvement it is now all about self acceptance
Watched a video of American bandstand yesterday 1965 all in dresses, coat and tie doing the fox trot
And again 1969 jeans tennis shoes short sleeve doing the frug
It has not been a gradual decline but first came the outward decline that was sudden
I was in Seattle, WA last week visiting my daughter. The South Lake Union area is filled with young, fit-looking pedestrians in tennis shoes and jeans wearing backpacks. These are not school kids. These are the smart, millennial employees of companies like Google and Amazon. Many of them are taking mass transit into town and then walking blocks to offices and again out walking at lunch. I hate to think of the young women teetering around in heels and pearls trying to operate in that work culture. I am glad to see more practical attire.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:24 AM

28 posts, read 15,774 times
There is no education about the right diet in school, so young people believe in commercials, and what is more- young people copy their parents eating style. So I think the first of is parents should change their habits to give the right example for young people.
But if we are talking about young people (above their 20s) who live alone there is a huge problem.
I mean nowadays most young people don't even think about vegetables, saturated fat, and a healthy lifestyle, and even if they are trying to eat healthier or get rid of fast-food they choose 'healthy' food which isn't healthy at all because of its composition.
I think it is just a big concern's trophy. That s their goal.

So.. if someone of you here is in that situation I would like to say that there is nothing healthier than eating the most natural food like vegetables, fruits, various cereals, legumes, raw nuts, water. If someone of you eats meat or animal products just make sure this product is not from the grocery but from real from a real country farm.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness