Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 08:10 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
This study claims that the average American will gain 6 pounds from mid-November to mid-January.

https://www.studyfinds.org/average-a...oliday-season/

That seems really high.

Anyways, lets get some tips together to help us stay fit and trim!

(1) eat slowly as it takes about 20 minutes for your brain to get signals from your stomach that it is full.

(2) set aside time to exercise and stick to it. Make plans with friends to jog, do aerobics, do Yoga, etc...

(3) if the weather is bad and you don't want to jog outside drive to a mall and walk around briskly or do some calisthenics in your home.

(4) drink water and pass on sugary items.

(5) eat a honey crisp apple instead of candy.

(6) watch less football on Thanksgiving and go play catch or two-hand touch football outside.

(7) before you take a shower do some planks and other exercises.

What ideas do you all have to keep fit?
In the past, I've heard that people gain about 7 #s in the Thanksgiving-Christmas season. That's a combo of male & female gain, I guess. In that sense, that sounds about right. It adds up and is easy to take in thousands of calories because of fatty turkey & ham, rich desserts, fattening casseroles & such. If others are like me, it's not just ONE day of eating for each holiday. There's the feast, followed by days of leftovers!

I don't know how much I gain, because I avoid weighing at that time.

THIS year, though, I just lost about 7 lbs, which takes me down on jeans size. So I don't want to gain that back. It took me two months of eating less than 1,000 calories on most days, so it was a hard won loss.

Sooooo....I have eating & activity plans that I hope will see me at the same weight next week, or at worst 1 lb more. It would be nice not to have to spend the next several weeks trying to take off Thanksgiving pounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 03:11 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
drink lots of water before the meals .. avoid desserts and make sure others take the desserts home and not leave them if at your place....I will have mostly meat and little carbs....but If any dessert I will have berries and whipped cream

Old 11-26-2019, 06:39 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
drink lots of water before the meals .. avoid desserts and make sure others take the desserts home and not leave them if at your place....I will have mostly meat and little carbs....but If any dessert I will have berries and whipped cream
I concur. If we host for the holidays I make sure everyone takes home leftovers. I'll throw out any desserts or anything fattening, which pretty much means everything. And if we ever go to someone else's house for the holidays I never take left overs. I just don't need another day of eating candied yams or mashed potatoes and gravy.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:46 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I really don't understand why people need to gorge themselves during the holidays. Why is it so complicated to just make a normal sized plate? What is the need to eat in excess to the point you are uncomfortable? To me a thanksgiving or Christmas dinner is usually a festive occasion where you are conversing, eating and drinking. But once you sit down and have dinner I make myself a plate and tend to finish it. I might have a little more lasagna or another meatball but that's about it.

I don't see how people can use one or two meals as an excuse to gain considerable weight.
Agree^^. And by the same token, no one needs to "lift heavy" or do heavy training 5 days a week. MODERATION people. In everything, all the time. That is what I do. At 70 y.o. with a deteriorating spine I am modest in my exercise - lots of walking and a few other things. Small plates all the time, never ever gorge on anything. My weight and BMI stays in a constant healthy range.

Old 11-26-2019, 12:43 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,602 times
1. Eat less, exercise more.
2 Calories in should be less than calories out. The bigger the delta the bigger the weight loss.
3.Want to keep the weight off-- don't stop dieting.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:17 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
I did it! I kept my same weight! (patting self on back)

I ate some very favorite things on Thanksgiving. I ate too much & thought my stomach was going to burst. Since I'd been dieting for 2 or more months, my stomach has apparently shrunk, and I couldn't eat as much as I usually do.

I didn't weigh on Friday or Saturday. But I restricted my eating a lot on those two days. When I weighed Sunday, I weighed the same as before Thanksgiving!

It doesn't end there, since the whole month of December is a big temptation. Christmas cookies & candies are everywhere. Eggnog beckons me at the grocery store.

How'd everyone else do?

Old 12-14-2019, 11:03 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I did it! I kept my same weight! (patting self on back)

I ate some very favorite things on Thanksgiving. I ate too much & thought my stomach was going to burst. Since I'd been dieting for 2 or more months, my stomach has apparently shrunk, and I couldn't eat as much as I usually do.

I didn't weigh on Friday or Saturday. But I restricted my eating a lot on those two days. When I weighed Sunday, I weighed the same as before Thanksgiving!

It doesn't end there, since the whole month of December is a big temptation. Christmas cookies & candies are everywhere. Eggnog beckons me at the grocery store.

How'd everyone else do?
Destroyed it. Goal weight, crushed, new goal weight, crushed. Down 80 pounds.

Running 35 miles a week and eating <1500 calories a day will do that.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:39 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Agree^^. And by the same token, no one needs to "lift heavy" or do heavy training 5 days a week. MODERATION people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXjyii97Veo

I'd rather be like this guy when I get old. Lifting heavy has many, many health benefits. One of which is increased bone density.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:56 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Agree^^. And by the same token, no one needs to "lift heavy" or do heavy training 5 days a week. MODERATION people. In everything, all the time. That is what I do. At 70 y.o. with a deteriorating spine I am modest in my exercise - lots of walking and a few other things. Small plates all the time, never ever gorge on anything. My weight and BMI stays in a constant healthy range.
So you are 70 y.o. with a deteriorating spine and you think everyone should exercise the same as you do? "Heavy" is a relative term. Everyone should push themselves to their limit. Everyone's limit will be different. I see too many people in the gym who don't push themselves at all. The worst ones are the guys who go to the gym to use the sauna or steam room and think they have worked out.

BTW, I'm 64 and getting ready to go to the gym for "squat day." I have a torn meniscus in my knee so I can't squat like I used to, but I'll still lift as hard as I can. Hopefully, I'll get in some basketball before I lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXjyii97Veo

I'd rather be like this guy when I get old. Lifting heavy has many, many health benefits. One of which is increased bone density.

Yeah, same here.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:24 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
To the poster who took a shot at the elliptical - uh yes, you are working out. What do you think I'm doing for 30 minutes? Strolling? It's all about the heartrate, baby, and I exercise in the 75-80 percent zone. The nice thing about the elliptical and AMTs is that they're good for the joints. Especially for us exercisers with bad knees.

I lost 70 lbs sweating it out on the elliptical and lifting. That's "working out" for sure.

As for the topic at hand, I'm not going to go into the pyschological aspect of "why", but I do gorge during the holidays. And I feel no guilt about it either. I'm on point throughout the year. heaven forbid that I don't exercise my willpower to fullest extent for a couple of days.

I "gain" 7 lbs. A week or two later, I "lose" it. The "gain" is really water and probably extra stored glucose. Whatever it is, it usually disappears after returning to my normal eating patterns and exercise routine.

People gain weight for good because they eat like that ALL OF THE TIME. Big difference.

Not knocking the iron willed people here, but I admit that I can't be that way all of the time if I expect long term results and maintaining my weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness