Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:18 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
HIIT training is great!! Im thinking we could use a new thread to promote this. Lots of people want to do cardio to burn fat/lose weight but very few actually know about HIIT.
Maybe we should, with a HUGE, PINK, GLITTERY disclaimer that this is NOT the main vehicle for fat loss but rather a good supplement to weight lifting and reining in dietary mismanagement, which is actually the main vehicle for fat loss.

Edit: gotta spread some before I can rep you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 01:11 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
HIIT training is great!! Im thinking we could use a new thread to promote this. Lots of people want to do cardio to burn fat/lose weight but very few actually know about HIIT.
Agreed about HITT..I do EIT (enhanced interval training) which I have been following from one of Ross Enamait's programs. Basically it's bodyweight calisthenics combined with interval running.

I also enjoy the TABATA protocol, which is 20 secs of all out work followed by a 10 sec break.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:55 AM

621 posts, read 3,205,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
That's a great goal. I take it you're interested in losing fat, not muscle. Correct?

Negatory. To lose fat you will have to diet it off. Fat cardio bunnies are a dime a dozen. Just cardio doesn't work unless you also starve yourself... there is no need for martyrdom in fat loss.

For efficient cardio look into HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), look into Hill Repeats, but don't do steady state cardio for 40 mins like so many people do. Your cardio should take you no more than 10-15 minutes/day.

Look into lifting weights, also, as this will actually give you a shape you'll like.

You'll have to change the way you eat, for life. Post for me what your typical daily food intake looks like.

Yes, I'm interested in losing fat not muscle. If anything I need to gain more muscle. I will look into the HIIT. I've heard about that kind of training before so I will see what it entails. I don't want something to complicated and where I have to jump through hoops to do the exercises. I know my self and I won't do it....

I don't have a gym membership, I'm kind of out far and there is not a gym close well atleast not as of now. I just bought turbo jam and have been doing that at home for about a week now.

I've already cut back in the diet dept. I usually have an eggwhite with a slice of cheese on an english muffin for breakfast. Some apples or carrots throughout the day. I don't really eat lunch as the egg sandwich keeps me full for a long time and I leave work around 2-2:30 so I just usually have an early dinner. Which usually consists of grilled/sauteed chicken breast with either a veggie or rice. I only drink diet soda and tea. I'm trying to drink more water, but I'm definitely a diet coke girl...lol. I don't really eat a lot of sweets as that is not my thing. Carbs are my downfall. I could LIVE off of bread, pasta, etc. I love bread, which now I'm trying to only buy the whole grain and no more white . Does this sound acceptable?? Is there something I need to tweek??

Old 05-02-2008, 12:38 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,168,522 times
Personally, i try to eat little meals through the day. Not just 3 meals.

I always have snack ready here at work ) Usually it's fruit, nuts, or something low in calories. Most of my day is spent in the office, sitting around, but i get up a lot and move around.
I try to have breakfast every day, and i try to have light dinner, sometimes i just have a salad or bowl of cereal instead of full meal.
They say that eating small meals during the day (4-5 meals) keeps your metabolism going.
Also, reverse your dinner with your breakfast, meaning eat more in the morning and less at night. )

Old 05-04-2008, 07:28 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,643 times
Apologies for taking so long to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Yes, I'm interested in losing fat not muscle. If anything I need to gain more muscle.
What weights do you have at your disposal? Do you have barbells? Dumbbells? Bench? Pull up bar? Dip Station?

Quote:
I will look into the HIIT. I've heard about that kind of training before so I will see what it entails. I don't want something to complicated and where I have to jump through hoops to do the exercises. I know my self and I won't do it....
It's really not complicated. Two simple ways to do HIIT:

Way #1:

Treadmill: walk 30 seconds (low intensity), run 30 seconds (high intensity), walk 30 seconds, run 30 seconds, etc. Start with, say, 8 minutes of such intervals. When you run, run hard, when you walk, walk at moderate pace.

You can do this by varying speed (running/walking), or at constant speed but varying incline (flat for low intensity, and, say, 6%+ incline for high intensity). You can even do this intensity variation on a stationary bike.

Way #2: Hill Repeats:

Treadmill: At a good, fast walking pace, 0 incline inverval, 4% incline interval, 0 interval, 5% interval, 0 interval, 6% inverval, 0 interval, 7% interval, etc.

Simple, right?

Quote:
I don't have a gym membership, I'm kind of out far and there is not a gym close well atleast not as of now. I just bought turbo jam and have been doing that at home for about a week now.
What's a turbo jam?

Quote:
I've already cut back in the diet dept. I usually have an eggwhite with a slice of cheese on an english muffin for breakfast. Some apples or carrots throughout the day. I don't really eat lunch as the egg sandwich keeps me full for a long time and I leave work around 2-2:30 so I just usually have an early dinner. Which usually consists of grilled/sauteed chicken breast with either a veggie or rice. I only drink diet soda and tea. I'm trying to drink more water, but I'm definitely a diet coke girl...lol. I don't really eat a lot of sweets as that is not my thing. Carbs are my downfall. I could LIVE off of bread, pasta, etc. I love bread, which now I'm trying to only buy the whole grain and no more white . Does this sound acceptable?? Is there something I need to tweek??
I don't like your diet for the following reasons:

1- You are not eating enough.
2- You are letting your body starve for lengthy periods.
3- You drink soda (that is says "diet" on it is no better than if it didn't. That processed crap is still affecting your body negatively).

Recommendations: (natural foods, please, and water)

Breakfast: oats+ fruit. Not pre-packaged sugary oatmeal. or Eggwhites + whole wheat matzo (it's actually a great thing) or cottage cheese with fruit.
Mid-morning snack: nuts
Lunch: Salad, lean meat (chicken, turkey) or fish.
Dinner: similar to lunch but add brown rice or sweet potato.
Bedtime snack: cottage cheese.

Here's the thing about losing fat and gaining muscle: they require opposite methods of food intake. To gain muscle you need caloric excess, while to diet down you need caloric deficit. This is true for the vast majority of people. I think that in your case you should be eating a good, healthy meal plan and working out hard. Build up some muscle before you really diet down so that once you shed the fat you'll have something good looking to expose: the muscle.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:22 AM

621 posts, read 3,205,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
What weights do you have at your disposal? Do you have barbells? Dumbbells? Bench? Pull up bar? Dip Station?

What's a turbo jam?

I don't like your diet for the following reasons:

1- You are not eating enough.
2- You are letting your body starve for lengthy periods.
3- You drink soda (that is says "diet" on it is no better than if it didn't. That processed crap is still affecting your body negatively).

Recommendations: (natural foods, please, and water)

Here's the thing about losing fat and gaining muscle: they require opposite methods of food intake. To gain muscle you need caloric excess, while to diet down you need caloric deficit. This is true for the vast majority of people. I think that in your case you should be eating a good, healthy meal plan and working out hard. Build up some muscle before you really diet down so that once you shed the fat you'll have something good looking to expose: the muscle.

Thank you very much for your help!! To answer your questions:

I have 5 lb weights right now, but was going to buy a different weight so I can have variety. I don't have anything else, but could get it if it would help out. I don't know what a dip station is??

Unfortunately I don't have a treadmill to do the HIIT, but was thinking about maybe getting one in the future. Turbo Jam is a workout video. It's on all the infomercials, it's made by the same people who did the P90X and some other ones.

I love your diet advice! Besides the diet coke, which I know is bad I do buy mostly all organic and natural food.

You've all been so helpful, I think I'm going to print this thread out and keep it!

Old 05-05-2008, 05:56 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,358 times
I soo agree with twilomike! escellent advise.

The food thing is a HUGE part of it also. awhile back when I first started trying to loose weight and get back into shape I go so frustrated. I finally started being able to have more energy (I really think the pilates helped with that) and could exercise more but I wasnt loosing any weight. I finally joined a gym and they had a free nutritionist that I started seeing. She had me write down everything I ate for about a month. what we found out is that I wasnt eating enough. I thought I was doing good because I do not drink sodas and very rarely have anything sweet. anyway, you have to get your calories. a friend of mine snacks on nuts to get her calories. She doesnt have much of an appetite and only seems to eat low calorie foods.

I havent checked out this website but another friend of mine keeps raving about it. apparently gives you calories for everything you eat and helps you plan your meals better. I know counting calories is a pain but it does help. I did it for about 5-6 months and then stopped. I still do it in my head just rough guesses because I got so used to everything. although every once in awhile I will break out the scale and count calories for a few days to make sure i'm still on track.
hopefully it will help.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I also enjoy the TABATA protocol, which is 20 secs of all out work followed by a 10 sec break.
I just discovered this the other day. I had been doing interval training a few times a week, but really, REALLY hate it. I tried this and it was just brutal. I was sweating profusely before I reached the halfway point. But I think it's worth continuing.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:47 AM

10 posts, read 33,318 times
Hi! I am not experties but i am sure here you will get some great ideas by all members for your work out stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness