Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 01:09 PM

265 posts, read 239,220 times

Advertisements

I just thought of this. Buying dumbbells that I can only do one rep and placing them in my room. I was thinking maybe do my one rep max once a day, 3 times a week. Will that work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 01:27 PM

1,462 posts, read 973,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
I just thought of this. Buying dumbbells that I can only do one rep and placing them in my room. I was thinking maybe do my one rep max once a day, 3 times a week. Will that work?
Will it work for what? If you are buying them because you got a good deal, you can always use them for shoulder presses, overhead tricep extensions, dumbbell chest presses and if the weights are too much to use for each arm, you can use one holding it with both hands for curls to get more reps.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
Will it work for what? If you are buying them because you got a good deal, you can always use them for shoulder presses, overhead tricep extensions, dumbbell chest presses and if the weights are too much to use for each arm, you can use one holding it with both hands for curls to get more reps.
Will it work to increase strength?

Last edited by Mike2017; 09-18-2020 at 02:16 PM..

Old 09-18-2020, 02:01 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
No.
It will do nothing.
Take it back. You have very high chance of hurting your joints. And your room, when you drop your weights.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:32 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
LOL. My goodness.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:42 PM

1,462 posts, read 973,618 times
Quote:
Will it work to increase strength?
No.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:56 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times
Quote:
I'd suggest to follow an expert's advice on how to build strength and endurance

https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/How...20in%20between.

Quote:
...personal trainer Max Weber, NASM, ACE, set the record straight with an Instagram post. He breaks down the three common goals people have when they lift weights: getting stronger, building muscle, and improving endurance. To get stronger, he recommends three to 10 sets, each consisting of one to six reps, and only two to five minutes of rest in between.

To build muscle, he advises three to five sets and six to 12 reps, with only one to two minutes of rest in between. If you're looking to improve endurance, he says to do two to four sets with 12-20 reps, and 30-60 seconds of rest in between.
When I first started lifting weights over 20 years ago, my personal trainer recommended alternating days between building strength and endurance. I typically did strength training for large muscles and endurance training for small muscles per training session and the reverse the next day.

I found the best weights to start was ones which I can do 6 reps for strength and 12 reps for endurance. I moved to heavier weights at 5 lbs increments for large muscles and 2.5 lbs increments for small muscles. It took about 2-3 weeks to increase the weights if I trained every day. If I skipped for 2-3 weeks, I could still lifted the same amount of weights but if I let it lax over a month, I had to reduce the weights.

BTW, I did not start weight training until nearing 50. I am female with a light/small build at 5'2" and 100+-5 lbs pretty much my whole life.

I have not done any weight training since moving from NY to ID 2.5 years ago. However, I have been doing heavy landscaping/yard work and row on the river for ~1 hr every day. These activities have helped to maintain my strength and endurance. Once we whip our 2.2A property in shape, I will resume my weight lifting routine.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I'd suggest to follow an expert's advice on how to build strength and endurance

https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/How...20in%20between.

When I first started lifting weights over 20 years ago, my personal trainer recommended alternating days between building strength and endurance. I typically did strength training for large muscles and endurance training for small muscles per training session and the reverse the next day.

I found the best weights to start was ones which I can do 6 reps for strength and 12 reps for endurance. I moved to heavier weights at 5 lbs increments for large muscles and 2.5 lbs increments for small muscles. It took about 2-3 weeks to increase the weights if I trained every day. If I skipped for 2-3 weeks, I could still lifted the same amount of weights but if I let it lax over a month, I had to reduce the weights.

BTW, I did not start weight training until nearing 50. I am female with a light/small build at 5'2" and 100+-5 lbs pretty much my whole life.

I have not done any weight training since moving from NY to ID 2.5 years ago. However, I have been doing heavy landscaping/yard work and row on the river for ~1 hr every day. These activities have helped to maintain my strength and endurance. Once we whip our 2.2A property in shape, I will resume my weight lifting routine.
Thank you I am just starting out.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:03 AM

609 posts, read 349,856 times
Eventually your body strengthens/improves. Two things will happen, the one rep plan is replaced with higher repetition or your poor because your constantly buying new weights for 1 rep goals.

Old 09-19-2020, 12:45 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
This is obviously a troll post. With all the resources available on strength training no one should come up with something so ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness