Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 08:26 PM

427 posts, read 245,987 times

Advertisements

I have been fat for a while. Not super fat, but noticeable enough that I decided it was time to lose weight so I can play football without having a shirt on (and also without dying). I've been weighing myself on one of those smart scales and it says that I am losing weight, but I'm losing more muscle than I am fat...I really would prefer to not lose muscle...I am about 132lbs muscle (59.8kg) and 68lbs (26.3kg) fat. But before I started to lose weight, I had 130.1lbs (59kg) of muscle when I was 200 lbs (90.7kg)

I started training with a trainer 3 days a week and so far it's been going amazing. I have lost 6.6lbs (3kg) in about 23 days. We do HIIT once a week and the other 2 times a week we focus either on arms, spine/abs, or legs. He said that this week we're going to be starting full body workouts.

I'm eating around 1500 calories a day, trying to fit in as much protein as I can. For example, yesterday (a workout day when I ran a mile (1600m) as a warm up and also did HIIT), My macros looked like this:

104g of protein

171g of carbs

38g of fat.

In total I ate 1397 calories (I often eat closer to the 1500, it's just I'm running out of food until I get paid in a few days, so I couldn't find something else to fill the gap, I'll eat a bit more veggies and stuff today to take care of it.

The trainer said that I do have a lot of muscles and I've never been the super skinny kind of guy, even before I was fat so I'm just worried that I'll be losing all of that muscle...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 12:14 PM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
You cannot lose fat only. You can lose mostly fat, but you will lose lean mass with it. Now, lean mass isn't just muscle. It is all non-fat mass, but yeah, some muscle.

So what you want to do is mitigate that lean mass loss. In your calorie deficit, make protein the highest percentage of your calories (and you already are) and just keep hammering the weights.

My advice on weights has changed dramatically over the last few years, and while I am still all about the big compound movements, I am now firmly on the "lighter weight, higher rep volume" side of the spectrum, and my workouts have never been more effective. When I say rep volume, I mean 20 rep sets as the average, always. If you do pyramids, it is 30-20-10-20-30, if you do super sets, it is 20-20-20 etc, drop sets 20 then 20. Center everything around 20 reps. And every set should suck somewhere around rep 15 or so.

Lighter weights and big rep volume ftw. I've been on again, off again lifting for 30 years and at age 53, the lighter weight higher rep volume thing has been my most productive weightlifting progress ever.

I am losing weight at a decent clip, but my weights on each exercise are going up slowly and surely, so the strength is getting better even with losing some lean mass along with the fat. percentage fat going down is still the goal, even if some muscle goes with it. Gotta accept that.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:39 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
I've been weighing myself on one of those smart scales and it says that I am losing weight, but I'm losing more muscle than I am fat.
Ignore those things. They are laughingly inaccurate.

Quote:
The trainer said that I do have a lot of muscles and I've never been the super skinny kind of guy, even before I was fat so I'm just worried that I'll be losing all of that muscle...
In general, the way to prevent muscle loss while dieting is to do the following.

- Keep protein intake to 1 to 1.5 grams per pound of LBM. As you get even slimmer, this can sometimes go up to 2 grams.

- Lift weights, heavy weights relative to your strength level. Keep intensity (weight on the bar) up but reduce volume.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:31 PM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Short answer - enough to create caloric deficit in your body and maintain it. That's it.
Problem being, as you create caloric deficit, organism lowers metabolism and starts storing, stockpiling, nutrients. Normally, form of fat. So you still have to maintain deficit, keeping in mind lowered energy requirement.

that said, I have patients that eat nothing but water and still gain weight.

Also, watch you fluid intake. Water is heavy and stored in fatty tissue.

Old 09-24-2020, 06:00 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
that said, I have patients that eat nothing but water and still gain weight.

Also, watch you fluid intake. Water is heavy and stored in fatty tissue.
You must be the only person on Earth who thinks drinking water can make you fat. That may not be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard but it's close.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Ignore those things. They are laughingly inaccurate.

In general, the way to prevent muscle loss while dieting is to do the following.

- Keep protein intake to 1 to 1.5 grams per pound of LBM. As you get even slimmer, this can sometimes go up to 2 grams.

- Lift weights, heavy weights relative to your strength level. Keep intensity (weight on the bar) up but reduce volume.
I've been aiming for about 150-160g of protein a day, and I upped my calorie intake to around 1700 calories a day. Today ran 2km and then did weight training with the trainer.

I'm losing centimeters off most of my body (in a good way) but gained one centimeter on my neck and my weight doesn't always go down... Am I eating too much?

Old 09-28-2020, 09:41 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
I've been aiming for about 150-160g of protein a day, and I upped my calorie intake to around 1700 calories a day. Today ran 2km and then did weight training with the trainer.

I'm losing centimeters off most of my body (in a good way) but gained one centimeter on my neck and my weight doesn't always go down... Am I eating too much?

1700 calories isn't that much. I'm really curious how someone can eat 150-160g of protein per day. How do you manage this? Seems like one helluva lot to me. I don't imagine there's any way I ever come close to that number.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
1700 calories isn't that much. I'm really curious how someone can eat 150-160g of protein per day. How do you manage this? Seems like one helluva lot to me. I don't imagine there's any way I ever come close to that number.
Lots of shrimp, tuna, Chicken breast, and protein cocktail once a day.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:23 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
You must be the only person on Earth who thinks drinking water can make you fat. That may not be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard but it's close.
lol....these truisms to obvious delusions always make me just flat out laugh. so raw, so to the point.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:46 AM

5,116 posts, read 2,672,758 times
My experience is that intermittent fasting is one of the best ways to train your body to burn fat, rather than sugar. You might want to look at it, in consultation with your physician.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-guide#effects
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness