Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2020, 03:50 AM

427 posts, read 245,657 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out which would be more effective as cardio.

12-15% incline @ 2.4mph

6% incline @ 3.7mph.

Input? Would this workout be similar at all to running in terms of heartrate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 04:47 AM

609 posts, read 349,384 times
For me that first setting would cause HR increase. I say no in regards to running...jogging, I say yes.

If your trying to save your knees then I think toggling between incline and speeds under 4.0MPH will help find your answer.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:08 AM

3,688 posts, read 2,409,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post

12-15% incline @ 2.4mph

6% incline @ 3.7mph.

Do both.

Mix things up.

The body adapts, so you can also do different kinds of cardio also.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:27 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
Most treadmills will show you calories burned. Do one on one day and the other the next day for the same period of time and compare the two.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:21 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Vary what you do on a treadmill or elliptical machine or stationary bike, just like you would vary it if you were walking running or bicycling, what with hills, traffic, fatigue, etc.

What you want for a complete cardiovascular routine (not all in one session, necessarily) is a combination of

1) Low intensity long duration (heart rate still elevated, but always able to converse in normal speech) - 9-10 minute miles for me, 40-70 minutes
2) Medium intensity medium duration - 8 minute miles - maybe 3 miles
3) High intensity short duration - a single 7:30 mile, for me
4) Sprint - 100 yards or so, max effort

Your body needs to experience all of these regularly.

Most people like to finish up a run or bike ride with a sprint or "sprint-ish" effort, anyway - it just seems natural, so do something like that on the stationary machine too.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Vary what you do on a treadmill or elliptical machine or stationary bike, just like you would vary it if you were walking running or bicycling, what with hills, traffic, fatigue, etc.

What you want for a complete cardiovascular routine (not all in one session, necessarily) is a combination of

1) Low intensity long duration (heart rate still elevated, but always able to converse in normal speech) - 9-10 minute miles for me, 40-70 minutes
2) Medium intensity medium duration - 8 minute miles - maybe 3 miles
3) High intensity short duration - a single 7:30 mile, for me
4) Sprint - 100 yards or so, max effort

Your body needs to experience all of these regularly.

Most people like to finish up a run or bike ride with a sprint or "sprint-ish" effort, anyway - it just seems natural, so do something like that on the stationary machine too.
I do HIIT about once a week with body weight exercises. I have problems with my feet so I avoid running, so I'm trying to get high/medium intensity exercise somehow using inclines and stuff. Maybe I need to start using the exercise bike...

Old 10-15-2020, 10:57 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post

12-15% incline @ 2.4mph

6% incline @ 3.7mph.

Uphill is a great cardio. I would strive for 3.8 or faster at 15. You can do it in increments. One minute or less and then back down. Start where you are and every time add just a bit more incline or speed or both.

I started like you and 6% incline ended up being my cool down incline . I mixed it up quite a bit with incline and then sprints. It made my 30 minutes go by faster than just plodding along at one speed and incline. And its much more efficient for burning calories and building cardio health.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Uphill is a great cardio. I would strive for 3.8 or faster at 15. You can do it in increments. One minute or less and then back down. Start where you are and every time add just a bit more incline or speed or both.

I started like you and 6% incline ended up being my cool down incline . I mixed it up quite a bit with incline and then sprints. It made my 30 minutes go by faster than just plodding along at one speed and incline. And its much more efficient for burning calories and building cardio health.
I'll probably try to do this, or just try to do 30 minutes, 15% @ 3.5-3.8, but that's probably pushing it already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness