Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:03 PM

432 posts, read 1,660,466 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm about 180 pounds and I'm 5' 7''! I was wondering if you guys can help me to devise a work-out plan in which I would able to see my abs one day, get bigger biceps and triceps, and being able to jog for a longer time! I was thinking about focusing on a different muscle group each day of the week in a cycle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 02:38 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,971,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
Well, I'm about 180 pounds and I'm 5' 7''! I was wondering if you guys can help me to devise a work-out plan in which I would able to see my abs one day, get bigger biceps and triceps, and being able to jog for a longer time! I was thinking about focusing on a different muscle group each day of the week in a cycle!
Are you new to working out? Sorta new?

One thing I will say off the bat is that focusing on a different muscle group each is is extremely inefficient and I would not advise it.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:50 PM

It has been a long time that I did work out! I used to do push-ups, curl-ups, jogging, and using dumbbells!

Old 05-18-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
It has been a long time that I did work out! I used to do push-ups, curl-ups, jogging, and using dumbbells!
OK. Sounds to me like you qualify as a beginner since you did those things a long time ago. It's not a bad thing- it just makes it easier to advise you.

Do you have access to a gym or are you working out at home?

Old 05-18-2008, 09:18 PM

I was thinking about at home because I don't have a source of income that I can used to pay for a gym membership, so I was wondering what kind of work out should I do without the use of an equipment! P.S. I don't want to buy gym equipments and put them into my parent's home!

Old 05-18-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm about 180 pounds and I'm 5' 7''! I was wondering if you guys can help me to devise a work-out plan in which I would able to see my abs one day,
To see your abs you'll have to lose fat. This is not a workout issue but a proper diet issue.

Quote:
get bigger biceps and triceps,
Heavy back and chest work, respectively, will give you bigger biceps and triceps, as well as stronger chest and back.

For back work you can do pullups (palms facing away) and bent over rows (either with bands or dumbbells or something). You can also do supermans for lower back.

For chest you can do pushups and dips.

Leg work would benefit you as well. Single leg squats, GHRs, and walking lunges will kick your ass. Do them.

Quote:
and being able to jog for a longer time!
That will come with jogging practice and heavy leg work.

Quote:
I was thinking about focusing on a different muscle group each day of the week in a cycle!
Bad idea.

Since you don't have much variation to choose from, do a full body workout 3x/week with at least 1 day of rest between them.

Quote:
I was thinking about at home because I don't have a source of income that I can used to pay for a gym membership, so I was wondering what kind of work out should I do without the use of an equipment! P.S. I don't want to buy gym equipments and put them into my parent's home!
How old are you? Having no equipment at home and by not going to the gym you are limiting yourself to next to nothing. Do you at least have sand bags, boulders in your area?

Old 05-19-2008, 07:28 AM

I'm 19 years old!

Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I'm 19 years old!
I suggest getting a gym membership, even something inexpensive like to a YMCA gym.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:30 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,348,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Are you new to working out? Sorta new?

One thing I will say off the bat is that focusing on a different muscle group each is is extremely inefficient and I would not advise it.
I was wondering why you think that because I was told to concentrate on working legs and lower body one day and upper the next time going back and forth as not to overwork the muscles in toning up.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I was wondering why you think that because I was told to concentrate on working legs and lower body one day and upper the next time going back and forth as not to overwork the muscles in toning up.
What you were advised is perfectly fine and I workout that way myself. The OP was talking about bodypart/day type split where people will train back one day, chest another, legs another day, then shoulders, then abs and arms, or some variation thereof... spending much too much time in the gym when they could be doing other necessary fitness activities such as resting.

What is your routine? What do you mean by "toning up"? I ask because that is often the goal that's least defined among gym goers and gets the worst advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness