Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,246 times

Advertisements

Hiya! Formerly a ballerina (not professional) just loved to dance. I'm a freshman in college and have picked up the infamous freshman 15 I'm new to "weight loss" because I spent so much time rehearsing and teaching that I never had to think about my weight. This is going to sound horrible - but can anyone provide the name a of a product that REALLY works? I just need to jumpstart my weight loss. I'll change my diet, too. But - you know - COLLEGE. Ramen noodles are cheaper than apples. Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 07:31 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Go to the school gym, and start working out. Cut back on starches and sweets, including fruit (i.e. carbs). If you do start working out, boost your protein intake a bit, to rebuild your lean muscle mass, which will help you lose weight. Snack on protein, not carbs: cheese, or Greek yogurt (it's higher-protein, lower carb), or cottage cheese with a few berries, or some leftover chicken with some salad greens and oil/vinegar.

Walk rather than driving or taking the bus relatively short distances.

IOW, raise your activity level to the extent time allows, while dialing back the carbs. You'll see results, after your body adjusts to the lower carbs. (You'll be hungry every day at first, but after about 10 days, you'll adjust.).

Old 12-29-2021, 06:31 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Many colleges have fitness programs and classes at the gym.

I'd encourage and dieting, but nothing that is unhealthy for you. If you're still within "weight" standards for your height, etc., I wouldn't sweat the freshman 15 too much. But I know that's easier said than done considering how everyone wants to look fit, especially for those spring break vacations

Old 12-30-2021, 04:35 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Get an idea of how many calories you actually need to function at a optimal-level and maintain your best weight.

Then be honest, if you are eating over that amount, you will gain weight.

Old 12-30-2021, 05:51 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Intermittent fasting. You stop eating at 8pm and don't start again until 12pm the next day.

No fitness program, strict diet, or calorie counting necessary.
Quote:
For instance, you may choose to try 16/8 fasting: eating for eight hours and fasting for 16. Williams is a fan of the daily regimen: She says most people find it easy to stick with this pattern over the long term.
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...w-does-it-work

Old 12-30-2021, 06:11 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixfye View Post
Hiya! Formerly a ballerina (not professional) just loved to dance. I'm a freshman in college and have picked up the infamous freshman 15 I'm new to "weight loss" because I spent so much time rehearsing and teaching that I never had to think about my weight. This is going to sound horrible - but can anyone provide the name a of a product that REALLY works? I just need to jumpstart my weight loss. I'll change my diet, too. But - you know - COLLEGE. Ramen noodles are cheaper than apples. Thanks in advance for any help!
ALL of the diet plans work, like nutrisystem and Jenny Craig. You eat what they sell you, and nothing else, and the weight comes off. Once you stop, the weight comes back. They are a lot more expensive than Ramen Noodles, though.

The easiest way to lose weight is to count calories. Get yourself an online calorie counter and once you hit 1200 calories, you’re done for the day. Protein will make you feel full, and empty carbs will leave you hungry all the time. You will quickly learn which foods give you the best bang for your 1200 calories. Think eggs, deli chicken and turkey, hard cheese.

Old 12-30-2021, 09:40 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Walk. Walk. Then walk some more.

Think thin. Ask yourself "would a thin person do this?".
Thin people are rarely concerned about eating a treat. They just do it infrequently.

Old 01-01-2022, 07:27 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixfye View Post
Do activity you enjoy - if you still enjoy dance then find a way to bring it back into your life at some level - don't do it as "exercise" but do it is as "fun" and the exercise is an additional benefit.

I don't think there is a "product" solution out there, but if you do want a jump start here is a good program intended for just such a purpose - it is well-designed and safe and should work with your budget. It is pretty extreme but is only intended for short-term use. And it is pretty cheap, not expensive or long-term monthly fees, etc. You have to be able to tolerate a bland boring diet for short time. If you can't, then try some other program.

https://visualimpactfitness.com/visu...at-loss-boost/

Those of us who are older will tell you a lesson you're going to have to learn, the sooner the better. Many of us had to learn it later and it is much harder then. That is that no matter how busy you are and how poor you are, you absolutely must organize your time and budget to prioritize your health. Good exercise, good diet, good sleep, etc. You have to get past excuses and make the time - you'll find once you get it into your routine, it is easier than you expected and you'll feel better in so many ways you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

Last edited by otowi; 01-01-2022 at 07:45 PM..

Old 01-12-2022, 12:09 PM

260 posts, read 656,566 times
One thing that really got to me on losing weight was I felt like I should see results faster than I was seeing them. Then I was reminded that I didn't just gain that weight all of a sudden, it was up and down, two steps forward and one step back, then three steps forward and one step back and I had gained it over months or years. Expecting to lose it quickly and in a set way was not realistic.

One thing I also noticed was that my activity level was a huge factor in how much weight I lost. Also, remember that if you are following a scale, it can lie to you. If you are losing fat, but gaining muscle, that scale readout won't satisfy you. I found using a tape measurer was more satisfying and told me I was actually losing weight. Mod cut.

Also, arguably, the hip to waist ratio is better scale of healthy weight as compared to weight to height method. My family is built more stout than gracile and the height to weight ratio was never "healthy" for me after my teen years when I was actually underweight from a severe illness I had. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-15-2022 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness