Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 06:33 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

that is the question.

Is stretching after a work out beneficial? Recommended? Or is it a myth.
I'm asking because I read or heard somewhere that stretching doesn't really prevent one from injuries.

I detest stretching so I would like it to be so... heh, heh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 06:38 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
It's an absolute must. It will save you unnecessary pain and stiffness, as well as potential injury. When I was younger I did not appreciate stretching as much. Now in middle age I realize it's a life saver and I wish I had learned this lesson sooner. I probably could have saved myself some serious discomfort and injury over the years.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...-of-stretching

Old 05-31-2022, 07:26 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
that is the question.

Is stretching after a work out beneficial? Recommended? Or is it a myth.
I'm asking because I read or heard somewhere that stretching doesn't really prevent one from injuries.

I detest stretching so I would like it to be so... heh, heh.
It's mostly sports specific, probably, which is why you have so much conflicting information. In some sports, soccer, football, basketball where you have short, explosive movements muscle compliance and flexibility is probably important. If you're just a fat guy who jogs three times a week and goes on bike rides you don't really need your muscles to be able to absorb and release the kind of high-intensity energy that an NBA or NFL player does. Even if you're a serious cardio junky Ironman triathlete or professional marathon runner, there stretching isn't really important and there's a preponderance of evidence that stretching does nothing for injury prevention. Probably the biggest problem is with couch potatoes where stretching actually likely increases risk of injury. Lately there's a lot more emphasis on mobility as being far, far more important than flexibility for most people who are sedentary. If you have lots of flexibility but no ability to actually use those muscles over their available range of motion that's worse than having limited flexibility. All you're doing there is giving yourself more rope to hang yourself with since the muscles are too weak to actually do any useful contracting over their available range of motion.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:11 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Stretching might not prevent injury but it probably will help improve or at least maintain range of motion for your muscles.

What good is strength if you can't move your body adequately?

Flexibility is considered one component of physical fitness, BTW.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:20 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
I always do some stretching and mild movements to loosen up before playing golf, playing pickleball, lifting weights, or anything similar. I don't do stretching afterward because the muscles are already warmed up and loose... although weight lifting does tend to tighten them up.

Old 06-01-2022, 05:15 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
I disagree it's only needed by players of certain sports. Many people as they get older get injuries simply getting up off a chair or out of their car. And I'm not talking very old people here. People tighten up and stretching keeps you limber and less prone to injury. In many cases it's even more important for the average couch potato to stretch. Do some yoga and keep it interesting.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:00 AM

1,116 posts, read 606,309 times
I hate stretching too lol.

However, for myself I find it is necessary... esp after all working out with free weights. For example, my forearms and wrists hurt like a MF from overuse (gripping dumbbells etc). I NEED to lightly stretch the afterwards (and use a foam roller). In fact I habitually stretch my wrists throughout the day just to keep it limber and non-hurty (lol). Ppl must stare at me on the subway doing it... another nutjob.

The key is to NEVER bounce or rush the movement. Another supposed benefit is that it helps with blood flow and hence rebuilding of your muscles. I definitely stretch my chest after the appropriate exercises.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:01 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I generally do a 5 minute warm up on an eliptical, stretch thoroughly, lift and inbetween sets I stretch stretch stretch but generally I do not do a ton of stretching after I'm done. I know that's not the advice du jour lately as it seems that most people claim stretching after you workout is the best time, but what I do has worked well for me so that's what I continue to do.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Stretching might not prevent injury but it probably will help improve or at least maintain range of motion for your muscles.

What good is strength if you can't move your body adequately?

Flexibility is considered one component of physical fitness, BTW.
I think it does help to prevent injury over time. For example, I tried canyoneering for the first time over the weekend. During one drop, my arm got extended up backward a bit. Since I go to yoga once or twice a week and do other shoulder mobility exercises, I did not injure my shoulder. I did injure that shoulder about 4 years ago, so I know that the stretching has helped.

FWIW, I think doing activities with active stretching is more helpful than relying only on static stretching. I also take a Pilates class and she does a lot of mobility work to help with functional movement. The reality is that you are going to injure yourself doing some sort of unusual movement, not a static stretch.

Old 06-03-2022, 04:44 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
All I know is if you ever end up with any chronic stiffness or muscles that can get inflammed easily, stretching after exercise is a godsend. I have piriformis issues that can get inflammed and cause signficant sciatic nerve pain, but after I started stretching it consistently after exercise, I exhibit zero symptoms. However if i stop, the symptoms slowly come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness