Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 11:21 PM

4 posts, read 3,392 times

Advertisements

I'm in pretty bad shape. My chest is chronically tight, my posture is awful. If I go more than a few hours without using my foam roller I'm hunched forwards, feel tight and am in a lot of pain. In the past, stretching my chest a lot and using the machines at physical therapy to strengthen my back and core helped me a lot. I can no longer go to PT and I never make it into the gym when I have gym memberships. What could I buy to help me do some good back and core exercises at home? I've looked into a functional trainer but they're too expensive. I need to be able to target my upper back/shoulder blades. What kinds of equipment would you be looking to buy if you were in my position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 11:57 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,718,437 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsFSgSflOZc

Old 06-07-2022, 12:03 AM

798 posts, read 504,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VermillionNova View Post
I'm in pretty bad shape. My chest is chronically tight, my posture is awful. If I go more than a few hours without using my foam roller I'm hunched forwards, feel tight and am in a lot of pain. In the past, stretching my chest a lot and using the machines at physical therapy to strengthen my back and core helped me a lot. I can no longer go to PT and I never make it into the gym when I have gym memberships. What could I buy to help me do some good back and core exercises at home? I've looked into a functional trainer but they're too expensive. I need to be able to target my upper back/shoulder blades. What kinds of equipment would you be looking to buy if you were in my position?
I have lost almost 30 lbs since I bought these from Amazon:

I read the reviews and was convinced.

NutriFlair Ceylon Cinnamon (Made with Organic Ceylon Cinnamon) 1200mg per Serving, 120 Capsules - Joint Support, Anti-inflammatory & Antioxidant - True Sri Lanka Cinnamon
Visit the NutriFlair Store

LifePro Vibration Plate Exercise Machine - Whole Body Workout Vibration Fitness Platform w/ Loop Bands - Home Training Equipment - Remote, Balance Straps, Videos & Manual

Old 06-07-2022, 01:13 AM

3 posts, read 3,536 times
Default Home Workout

if you are working out at home , you can buy dumbells or resistance band for better contraction on muscles.

Old 06-07-2022, 04:37 AM

5,119 posts, read 2,694,333 times
I will second resistance bands but you may need to go outside to connect them to something sturdy. Dumbells are also a good option. Most people don't have room for big gym equipment but if so, go for it. A rowing machine may also be useful. You can't buy motivation though.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:46 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,100,581 times
It sounds like you have a posture and physiological issues more than a need to simply workout at home without professional help.

My advice is to buy a standing desk, if you work on a computer.

Be more conscious of what your back and stomach are doing when sitting and standing. When you slouch, tense up your stomach drop your shoulders down and pull them back.

Stomach in, chest out, be proud

Old 06-07-2022, 05:58 AM

1,143 posts, read 627,410 times
The simplest and cheapest option are dumbells. Grab some adjustables where you can dial in your beginning weight low, and then slowly add plates as you get stronger.

For core and all around whole body strength, do squats. Grab the dumbells low weight and do some slow squats (no bouncing) and build up your legs, butt and yes your core.

Do planks and crunches too.

The good thing about working out at home is that you cut out the travel time, money and any excuse that you have for going to a gym lol.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:44 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,696,733 times
You can start Pilates without any equipment. There are many YouTube videos online that are good and require no to minimal equipment other than a resistance band/loop and some light dumbbells. I basically just have a bin I put all my equipment. It really doesn’t take up much space at all.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:01 AM

4 posts, read 3,392 times
Thanks for all the responses! I think I'm going to go ahead and pick up some dumbells. I do have some resistance bands already but never used them before. I'm hoping to get to where I don't feel like I have to constantly be conscious of my posture to prevent myself from slouching. I accomplished this with PT and maintained it until I had a long plane ride that encouraged me to be in a poor posture position for several hours. Between that and not doing the machines at PT or anything else to compensate, my posture very quickly deteriorated. Towards the end of PT they actually showed my posture to someone else with poor posture and told them mine was as bad as theirs when I started and they could've believe I went from being hunched over to standing up fully straight. So I know I can get back to that point and hopefully even to the point where I'm strong enough that poor posture feels extremely uncomfortable so that I won't slouch. Currently, forcing myself to stand up straight, even with my chest fully stretched out and mobilizing my joints with my foam roller, causes me immense upper back pain. I tried doing this recently and holding the posture for a few hours. I was feeling extremely sore for almost a week after.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:33 AM

983 posts, read 611,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VermillionNova View Post
Thanks for all the responses! I think I'm going to go ahead and pick up some dumbells. I do have some resistance bands already but never used them before. I'm hoping to get to where I don't feel like I have to constantly be conscious of my posture to prevent myself from slouching. I accomplished this with PT and maintained it until I had a long plane ride that encouraged me to be in a poor posture position for several hours. Between that and not doing the machines at PT or anything else to compensate, my posture very quickly deteriorated. Towards the end of PT they actually showed my posture to someone else with poor posture and told them mine was as bad as theirs when I started and they could've believe I went from being hunched over to standing up fully straight. So I know I can get back to that point and hopefully even to the point where I'm strong enough that poor posture feels extremely uncomfortable so that I won't slouch. Currently, forcing myself to stand up straight, even with my chest fully stretched out and mobilizing my joints with my foam roller, causes me immense upper back pain. I tried doing this recently and holding the posture for a few hours. I was feeling extremely sore for almost a week after.
Can you describe the equipment you used in PT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness