Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 06:07 PM

1,162 posts, read 457,773 times

Advertisements

Some people call me "strong" in being able to lift heavy stuff relatively easy, yet I can barely do one pushup at 6-3 195 pounds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 07:04 PM

6,480 posts, read 4,013,885 times
So, practice pushups. Start with your hands elevated if need be (on a table, on a chair, on a stack of books, on a step) and lower as your pushup ability grows, until you're on the ground.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:24 PM

10,598 posts, read 7,825,128 times
Go ahead and remove the quotes, you are strong. Lifting heavy stuff is a helluva lot more useful than doing pushups.

This is an unusual situation. Most people have an easier time with pushups than pullups.

I don't like to do pushups palm down anymore because of the pain it causes in a wrist that's a bit messed up. So, I grasp dumbells held against the floor to do them. It's a bit more difficult for me to do them this way. Who knows? Maybe easier for you. Give it a try.

Old 06-21-2022, 09:47 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,707,627 times
I was going to say the same thing. Usually it's pullups that are the problem. Pushups are weird too. You can benchpress everyday and still struggle with pushups if you don't do them regularly. They work different muscles, including those of the core. It's one of things that need to be done regularly to be easier.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:15 PM

75 posts, read 66,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
So, practice pushups. Start with your hands elevated if need be (on a table, on a chair, on a stack of books, on a step) and lower as your pushup ability grows, until you're on the ground.
Great recommendation. Another option is to do slow eccentric pushups (where you just focus on lowering yourself as slowly as you can to the ground). Believe it or not, eccentric work like this can build quite a bit of strength.

That is strange situation to be able to do pullups but not pushups. Pushups do involve quite a bit of core stability. And not just core strength necessarily. I've even seen people with strong upper bodies who are able to easily hold a plank (in push-up position) but they don't have the core stability to do pushups.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:50 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,701,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
Some people call me "strong" in being able to lift heavy stuff relatively easy, yet I can barely do one pushup at 6-3 195 pounds
That is really unusual. I've taught high school gym classes and coached, so I've seen a lot of guys who struggle to do a couple pull-ups. What is a lot of pull-ups? Not many guys who weight 195 lbs. can do more than 10-12.

Most guys have done pushups since they were 11-12 years old. We had to do them in most physical ed. classes in junior high. As opposed to pull-ups, they don't take any special equipment and you can do them anywhere. I'm guessing you somehow avoided doing pushups your entire life. I really don't understand how you can do a lot more pull-ups than pushups.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:09 PM

4,262 posts, read 3,187,947 times
Extremely unusual! I've never seen anyone with a reasonable amount of strength not be able to do some pushups!!! I'm over 70 and don't do them often but can still knock out 30-40. Pullups are far more difficult for most people!

Old 06-21-2022, 04:21 PM

2,288 posts, read 1,592,042 times
That's odd. Pull-ups are far more difficult for me and others. Are you mixing up the two?
I stopped doing pull-ups after I partially tore my left shoulder from pull-ups. I worked myself up to 8 or 10 from just two.

Anyway, you have to start slowly for push-ups then one day you'll be able to do 20-40 easy.

Make small goal of 4 in a row one week, then 8 in a row by month end.
Pretty soon you'll be doing burpees. Core strength is the key in sports performance using a ball.

You have a good height to weight ratio.

Old 06-21-2022, 04:23 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,707,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
That's odd. Pull-ups are far more difficult for me and others. Are you mixing up the two?
I stopped doing pull-ups after I partially tore my left shoulder from pull-ups. I worked myself up to 8 or 10 from just two.

Anyway, you have to start slowly for push-ups then one day you'll be able to do 20-40 easy.

Make small goal of 4 in a row one week, then 8 in a row by month end.
Pretty soon you'll be dong burpees.

You have a good height to weight ratio.
Yikes. How did that happen? Did you have an accident of some sort? Must have been painful.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:59 PM

2,288 posts, read 1,592,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Yikes. How did that happen? Did you have an accident of some sort? Must have been painful.
Yea, it just popped when I did a pull-up. I was hunched over on my left side in pain. They took x-rays, MRI and put it in a sling for a few weeks. I went back to my standard workouts; push-ups, curls, seated pull-downs and might sneak in 2-3 careful pull-ups every now & then.
Lesson learned is always do exercises slow and with good form, no herky jerky quick movements up or down.

Last edited by frankrj; 06-21-2022 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness