Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 12:10 AM

24 posts, read 9,871 times

Advertisements

It's great to hear that you're already incorporating exercise into your routine! To answer your questions:

You don't have to be an athlete or a Hollywood actor/actress to train hard. However, it's important to know your limits and gradually increase intensity over time to avoid injury. It's also advisable to seek guidance from a qualified fitness professional if you're unsure about proper form or technique.

Overtraining is definitely a real thing and can lead to fatigue, injury, and decreased performance. It's important to listen to your body and take rest days as needed. Proper warm-up, stretching, and sleep are also essential components of a well-rounded workout routine.

Regular exercise for older adults can actually be beneficial for overall health and can help prevent age-related decline in muscle mass and bone density. It's important to incorporate a variety of exercises and listen to your body to avoid injury.

Sprinting, running, and HIIT can all be done without injury if proper form and technique are used and intensity is gradually increased over time.

Low impact habits like walking and yoga can definitely have a positive impact on general wellness, health, alertness, and strength. These types of exercises can help improve flexibility, balance, and cardiovascular health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2023, 04:26 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
My dad is 85 years old and is still doing 50 pushups plus other exercises before jogging most mornings before eating breakfast! My dad started this routine when he was 29-30 years old.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:02 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,074,714 times
There are a number of studies that have shown a strong correlation between strength and longevity in older people. Strength training also generally improves bone density, balance, and flexibility assuming you are doing it correctly. Higher amounts of all of those things have strong correlations to lower mortality and better health markers in older adults. Personally, I'm 45 and I swim a couple thousand yards 2 days a week plus do pretty hardcore strength training 3 days per week. I'm one of the strongest guys in my gym. In the late spring/summer I'm also mountain biking every weekend. I can honestly say I'm in as good of shape as I've ever been, and I will continue to do what I'm doing as long as I'm able.

Rage, rage, against the dying of the light!

Old 04-07-2023, 10:23 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
At my last trackday I saw three different guys in two different paddock spaces that were all pumped and ripped. All had grey hair. I'm guessing late 50's, early 60's.

Paul Newman wasn't too shabby being on the 24 Hours of Daytona winning team at age 70.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:44 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,171,757 times
You CAN be in really good condition in your 70's! It takes physical effort in addition to some good old common sense! Will you be like a well tuned athlete in their 20s-30's....nope, but you can still do things a lot of 40 and 50 year old people can't! At 72, I am in training right now to do some mountain climbing, ice climbing and extreme hiking in Alaska in June. The gains in strength and endurance I've made in just the last 5 weeks has been surprising...even to me (and I was starting from a pretty good baseline). People need to get off the couch and do something...it will pay off!

Old 04-12-2023, 01:37 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,286 times
62 years-old here. My weekly goal is to exercise 4 days per week. I mostly do resistance and cardio exercises. Once in a while, I'll do three 2-minute rounds on the heavy bag and that I mostly do to have some form of self-defense in case needed. Happy to announce it was only last week that I was prescribed a daily oral medication for the 1st time. Blood pressure, cholesterol, etc., all else in check so far.

Old 04-13-2023, 05:23 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
How much exercise can one do in their 40s, 50s, 60s?
Quite a lot, I am finding - if they keep it up every week.
I see a lot of people who waited too long to start. I'm sure their efforts are helping, but you kind of need to get a running start, so to speak.
I'm 78.

Old 04-17-2023, 04:51 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,286 times
Today is April 17, 2023. In the course of running errands, today I ran into a fellow "gym rat" (Mr. Gee) whom I had not seen in over 16 years. He was in his 60's when I was in my 40's. We both exercised at the same Community College gym for at least a decade. I had not seen Mr. Gee since 2007. I was both surprised and elated to see my fellow "gym rat" after so many years. I'm now in my 60's and Mr. Gee is 89 years old. He still drives, is coherent, his memory is relatively intact, and still goes to the gym religiously. Says much about exercising.

It was nice to see you, Mr. Gee. May you live an even longer life.

Old 04-19-2023, 05:37 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
I work out now. Nothing crazy--I lift twice a week (only for 30 mins, I don't max), I walk ALOT and I do hard sprints 2-3 times a week. I rest completely on weekends, but during the week I"m working out every day essentially. So I'm wondering if this is sustainable into my 40s and beyond. How much training is 'overtraining' and is working out more than 2-3 days a week overall sustainable? Not like powerlifting or maxing out but just going in for moderate strength exercise 2-3 times a week.

I'm thinking in terms of physiology and lifestyle what's reasonable and advisable for older people. I do have a couple of questions:

*Should only athletes or Hollywood actors/actresses with personal trainers be training hard at all? Bear with me for how basic this question is, but what I'm getting at is how safely we can push ourselves without guidance.

* Is overtraining a real thing or do most of us (including me!) flatter ourselves at how hard we are actually working out? I've seen it put that many men overthink overtraining but underthink the small stuff like warmup, stretching and sleep.

* It sounds counterintuitive, but how can regular exercise for older folks be good? Doesn't it introduce wear and tear to your body?

* Is sprinting, running or HIIT possible without injury?

* Do low impact habits like walking or yoga matter at all for general wellness health alertness and strength?

But more generally curious to hear from those that are 50+ and exercise regularly but also enjoy it and find that it adds to their life. How you're able to keep fitness and exercise into your routine in a sustainable way and if you have made any changes along the way?
I’m 59 and I just switched from cardio (pretty hard running or cycling) 5 days in a row with 2 days off on the weekend to a 3-day-on, 1-day-off, 2-days-on, 1-day-off pattern. So I’m still doing the same amount of cardio, just not 5 days in a row.

Old 04-21-2023, 07:29 AM

735 posts, read 406,849 times
I'm in my mid 50s, I take 2 days off of a month. I average 10-14 of hours of exercise a week. I don't chit chat with people, so my routine is jam packed with cardio and lifting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness