Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 08:17 PM

387 posts, read 408,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Maybe you should get an outside opinion on your 180-200 reps, just saying.
Lol, could I go heavier? More than likely. I really focus on form (squatting to make myself short as possible) and range of motion. My side hustle is bouncing on weekends and surprisingly the stamina really helps when having to bounce a drunk patron. I remember a few years back you actually pm'd me some workout tips for lower body. They worked like a charm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 05:35 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,052 times
I can see 65 just over the horizon. This month, I’m attempting to row 1,000,000 meters on my WaterRower. I hit 370,000 meters today on schedule for 500,000 meters by the 14th. This is rowing on average 23.9 miles a day. Even though I’ve made it this far, the next two weeks are going to extremely tough. I’m scheduled for 40,000 meters a day from Monday-Friday, 30,000 meters on Saturdays and 20,000 on Sundays. Weekends are for a bit of recovery.

You can follow my progress here - just click the male > 55.

Old 02-11-2023, 12:55 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Im 46 and I'm a runner. But I would like to start weightlifting.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:20 AM

574 posts, read 267,027 times
I'm 55, 56 next week.

I exercise 2-3 hours a day, with a sustained BPM during those of around 140, with spikes to 170. My Apple watch claims on average I burn around 2000 calories over these sessions, but I don't know how accurate this. I do cardio, strength training, stretching, all in these 2-3 hour sessions back to back.

Your mind sets your limit. Your body follows. Don't think about staying in your limits, but how to smash them.

Old 02-11-2023, 11:42 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
I'm 55, 56 next week.

I exercise 2-3 hours a day, with a sustained BPM during those of around 140, with spikes to 170. My Apple watch claims on average I burn around 2000 calories over these sessions, but I don't know how accurate this. I do cardio, strength training, stretching, all in these 2-3 hour sessions back to back.

Your mind sets your limit. Your body follows. Don't think about staying in your limits, but how to smash them.
Is Apple Watch the equivalent of FitBit?

Old 02-13-2023, 08:40 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Is Apple Watch the equivalent of FitBit?
Very similar. Beware of the latest version if you're a skier. They're mistaking users for dead and calling 911.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/watch...130634509.html

For OP: Over training is rare but can be "a thing". It's happened with ultramarathoners, for instance.

Last edited by Arktikos; 02-13-2023 at 08:55 AM..

Old 02-13-2023, 09:39 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Very similar. Beware of the latest version if you're a skier. They're mistaking users for dead and calling 911.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/watch...130634509.html

For OP: Over training is rare but can be "a thing". It's happened with ultramarathoners, for instance.
Overtraining can come very easily to people in their 60s and older, particularly if they're not able to get enough effective sleep (very often the case with older people).

Old 02-13-2023, 09:55 AM

401 posts, read 275,346 times
I only started going to the gym on a regular basis in my late 30s. The past year and a half I go on an average 4 times a week, only using free weights, I do some body weight exercises sometimes there or at home, and the machines. I do little cardio. I am naturally thin by default and built muscle really quickly. Too much cardio like I was doing at home during COVID times and I will loose weight really quickly which I do not want to do. I either alternate my days with a rest day or two in between or go 4 days straight and feel just fine.

There is a guy at my gym though who has to be well over 40, maybe even pushing 50, who has a RIDICULOUS body and he can push an enormous amount of weight, striated legs, like he beats any young guy there. I want to say he is there every day I am there and way past the time I leave. I wouldn't be surprised if he is there every day. I always wonder how someone his age can train that much..

Old 02-13-2023, 10:06 AM

574 posts, read 267,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYa80s View Post
I only started going to the gym on a regular basis in my late 30s. The past year and a half I go on an average 4 times a week, only using free weights, I do some body weight exercises sometimes there or at home, and the machines. I do little cardio. I am naturally thin by default and built muscle really quickly. Too much cardio like I was doing at home during COVID times and I will loose weight really quickly which I do not want to do. I either alternate my days with a rest day or two in between or go 4 days straight and feel just fine.

There is a guy at my gym though who has to be well over 40, maybe even pushing 50, who has a RIDICULOUS body and he can push an enormous amount of weight, striated legs, like he beats any young guy there. I want to say he is there every day I am there and way past the time I leave. I wouldn't be surprised if he is there every day. I always wonder how someone his age can train that much..
I'm 55, 56 this week. I train everyday, 2-3 hours a day at an intense level that combines both strength and cardio.

I cannot remember the last time I took a day off though sometimes I just go for 1 hour, usually due to time crunch, not because I'm tired.

The reason I can do this is because I have been working out consistently since highschool. I can workout with 3 hours of sleep, I can workout sick, I can workout practically asleep.

Old 02-13-2023, 10:37 AM

401 posts, read 275,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
I'm 55, 56 this week. I train everyday, 2-3 hours a day at an intense level that combines both strength and cardio.

I cannot remember the last time I took a day off though sometimes I just go for 1 hour, usually due to time crunch, not because I'm tired.

The reason I can do this is because I have been working out consistently since highschool. I can workout with 3 hours of sleep, I can workout sick, I can workout practically asleep.
Wow really! That's impressive, considering people half your age have every excuse you can imagine NOT to exercise lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness