Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 02:31 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
1. How do you feel like in general?
2. Is your flexibility ok (your own standards, not like a split or anything)
3. And (knock on wood) have you generally avoided niggling injuries?
1. I feel good so I can't complain
2. Not bad but not as good as it used to be
3. I have pulled my lower back twice in the gym. Had to be carried out to my car by strangers. So I'm very careful with that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 04:42 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
I am 45 and work out 5 days a week. I usually do barre or Pilates 2-3 times a week (45-60 minute classes) and hiking/biking the other days of the week if the weather is good. One weekend day is often a longer bike or hike that may be 2-3 hours. In winter it’s usually a cardio machine at the gym 2-3 days a week also aiming for about 45 minutes of cardio activity. I change it up and do the treadmill, elliptical, stairmaster, bike, or rowing machine.

The only thing I’ve found is different in my 40s that I can’t really do anything high impact because I have feet arthritis and extended high impact activities make my feet hurt. I don’t run, for example. I can do shorter interval-type options, but when I do HIIT style workouts, I usually stick to 30 minute ones at home.

The only time I’ve really injured myself other than my normal ankle injuries was a shoulder injury I got in my early 40s. I think it was just from doing repetitive weights that were too heavy for me with that number of reps. It actually wasn’t a heavy weight, but since then I have tried to be safe and will switch down to lighter weights if needed. I gave up using the weight machines at the gym during the pandemic because the weight area was just filled with obnoxious roaming teens or too busy. The barre and Pilates classes suit my needs just fine.

I am also more flexible than I was before. I think that’s just the type of classes I do as they all focus on flexibility and do more functional mobility moves.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:18 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
I'm a 68-year-old woman. I run 4-5 miles 3 times a week (I walk the same route 2 times a week), swim, do light weight lifting, yoga...until I sold my horse a couple months ago, I was riding him 4 times a week.

I don't care that I can't run or swim as fast or as far as I used to. I'm just glad I can still do all the things I want to do.

My ex is 73 and used to run a lot of 50- and 100-mile ultramarathons until he was about 50. He still cranks out a 10-mile run several times a week. Again, not as fast as he used to, but that's not the point.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:07 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I'm 46, going on 47.

I work out 4 days a week, and never more than that. I'm a working mom, with two kids and the pandemic has taught me that I don't want to surrender family time for extended gym time.

Cardio is about 45 minutes, and I lift two days a week.

Two years ago, a trainer pushed me too hard and I took a rotator cuff injury. Trying to get back my form from that injury was daunting and even now I don't think I'm the same. But for 46, I'm not so hard on myself. Again, the pandemic has taught me a lot of things.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:59 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
It depends on your general health. The answers will differ if you develop heart disease, long COVID, a spine fracture from a car crash, or something else. I've had major back surgery, a nerve injury in one leg, knee surgery, and a bunch of hand surgeries in the past few years. I practically lived at the physical therapy office. Now that I've recuperated from the acute problems, I work with a personal trainer, which I've found extremely helpful in keeping me focused on things I need to improve and avoiding new injuries. I do stretching, treadmill or exercise bike, light weights, and/or resistance training every day.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:41 PM

764 posts, read 507,869 times
I'm older than you, I go to tennis court almost daily exception rain or other unfavorable situations, I just hit racquetball real hard against the net, this is a form of HIIT, it lets you work out your whole body, and since it's in the open, you got fresh air as well while working out. I want 20 to 30 minutes daily, however, I often go overboard in spite of myself, LoL,
and some times, I even do 80, 85, 90, 100 pushups afterwords.

I feel stronger than when I was 40; also, when I walk I feel my body is super light as if I can fly. I contribute this to continuous workout with HIIT.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:42 PM

387 posts, read 408,225 times
It comes down how much you're willing to push yourself. Over the course of the pandemic I developed a bad habit of drinking 3-5 tallboys (24oz cans) daily. I mean cheap beer. Natty Daddys , OE 800, etc. Once I hit about 250 (6'8 lean & lanky frame) and got called out for carrying a few extra pounds. I kicked it into high gear. I purchased a treadmill and started using it at least 3 days a week (32 mins 4.3 mph-10% incline). Since I work from home M-W-F I curl with a 75lb straight bar (10 sets /180-200 reps) on my lunch break. The real kicker is that I started rucking again. Usually 4-5miles 3-4 days a week with the military standard of 15min/mile. Nothing too heavy (35lbs). Over the last week I've shaved about 4-5 mins off my total. Today was 5 miles/64:10. In the last month I've dropped 15lbs. Confidence has definitely increased. I'll turn 47 in December.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:43 PM

695 posts, read 702,471 times
I’m a 62-year-old woman. I do strength training with heavy-ish weights for about 45 minutes 3 days a week, walking the mile to and from the gym. I also run 3-4 miles 3 days a week. On the 7th day, I rest (or maybe walk a few miles). I also do line dancing for an hour and a half once a week.

My goal is to be a strong and healthy as possible for as long as possible. I keep telling myself that I’ll incorporate Pilates and the all-important stretching into my routine, but that hasn’t happened yet.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:06 PM

689 posts, read 637,966 times
I'm in my 50s. I do the elliptical for 40 minutes 4-5 days each week (settings 13/12) and hit 500 calories. I then spend 30 minutes on machines. I also walk 4-5 miles once a week. I enjoy it and it helps keep off the weight. I've been doing this pretty steadily for the last 20 years. I'll keep at it as long as I can. I see people in their 70s and 80s in the gym.

Old 08-03-2022, 01:19 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
well, no one knows the future. You are the best judge of your injuries and over-training.

Shawn Rhoden, Mr Olympia in 2018 at the age of 43... (comic book superhero body) then sadly he died of a heart attack at 46.

I feel that a man's *physical* strength, doesnt actually PEAK until his 40s. Sure, you fast-twitch cardio people, you can see the decline in your sprint times. I remember cringing at Ken Shamrock in UFC, and Joe Montana in football, whatchu doing 40 yr old man? When my kid ran cross country at school, I can TRAIN with my kid, but I cant run faster or longer than my kid. Each decade that goes by, you judge (or measure) your VO2 MAX/lung capacity, and adjust your workouts accordingly.

But, you can look at older fitness influencers like David Goggins (47) or Joe Rogan (53) they still very fit and training every day. (one of them had a knee replacement from a cadaver). I guess Jack LaLanne will forever be the gold standard of whats possible in your later years.

There are some sports, like the Badwater Ultramarathon (135 mile foot race from Death Valley to Mt Whitney) - the winners/finishers/survivors are all older rather than younger. It takes YEARS of cumulative practice and skill and lucky genetic potential to perform at that level.

you can lookup 'world records in masters athletics' on wikipedia, blows your mind that a 60 yr old dude from Germany can throw a discus or shot put or javelin farther than you *ever* could at 22. There is an amazing variation in humanity, some people cant walk a mile and buy a red mobility scooter at the first opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness