Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 11:05 AM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
I work out now. Nothing crazy--I lift twice a week (only for 30 mins, I don't max), I walk ALOT and I do hard sprints 2-3 times a week. I rest completely on weekends, but during the week I"m working out every day essentially. So I'm wondering if this is sustainable into my 40s and beyond. How much training is 'overtraining' and is working out more than 2-3 days a week overall sustainable? Not like powerlifting or maxing out but just going in for moderate strength exercise 2-3 times a week.
I'm emphasizing walking and water treading, but feel that I have to get back to jogging/running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 12:33 PM

3,082 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
I work out now. Nothing crazy--I lift twice a week (only for 30 mins, I don't max), I walk ALOT and I do hard sprints 2-3 times a week. I rest completely on weekends, but during the week I"m working out every day essentially. So I'm wondering if this is sustainable into my 40s and beyond. How much training is 'overtraining' and is working out more than 2-3 days a week overall sustainable? Not like powerlifting or maxing out but just going in for moderate strength exercise 2-3 times a week.

I'm thinking in terms of physiology and lifestyle what's reasonable and advisable for older people. I do have a couple of questions:

*Should only athletes or Hollywood actors/actresses with personal trainers be training hard at all? Bear with me for how basic this question is, but what I'm getting at is how safely we can push ourselves without guidance.

* Is overtraining a real thing or do most of us (including me!) flatter ourselves at how hard we are actually working out? I've seen it put that many men overthink overtraining but underthink the small stuff like warmup, stretching and sleep.

* It sounds counterintuitive, but how can regular exercise for older folks be good? Doesn't it introduce wear and tear to your body?

* Is sprinting, running or HIIT possible without injury?

* Do low impact habits like walking or yoga matter at all for general wellness health alertness and strength?

But more generally curious to hear from those that are 50+ and exercise regularly but also enjoy it and find that it adds to their life. How you're able to keep fitness and exercise into your routine in a sustainable way and if you have made any changes along the way?
Heres a little dose of reality- there are plenty, PLENTY, of people in this country who are still riding, training, and showing horses in their, 60s, 70s and 80s. They clean stalls, carry 40/50 lb bags of grain and bails of hay. There are plenty of farmers in this country whose efforts put the food on your table. Then tend their cattle and corn and wheat etc etc. They work from sunrise to sunset, eat almost anything they want and dont think about general wellness, or injury, etc. They have a job to do and yes they have machinery but even the machinery needs tending too. So "how can reg exercise for older folks be good?" You tell me. Much of the time they live long lives like they always have. And Im over 70 and still carry bags of grain etc.

Old 08-04-2022, 02:41 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
I will add this: Making sure you get a good amount of at least moderately strenuous exercise, cardio and weight-bearing, becomes even more important as you get older.

For sure, it's important to avoid injuries, avoid overtraining, get sufficient recovery time and sufficient sleep, and get sufficient nutrition.

But it becomes more important the older you get that you make exercise a high-priority activity every day.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:45 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
female age 63 here.
i do qi gong daily.

it helps immensely with balance, strengthens immune system, increased vitality and well-being, reduces fall risk (everyone past age 60 is a fall risk), reduces illness, shortens recovery time when sick, and can be done at any age by any physical capacity, sitting, standing or bedridden recovering from illness or injury.

i am still working full time, and i also walk outdoors three times a day during my work day at lunch and on my breaks.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Depends on the body, genes, other activities, and by far more important.... Attitude!

Just had BD party for (2) 97 yo's who have never been to a gym, but did physical work all their life. They are in quite good shape, and they still walk a lot, garden, run errands....

Best friend climbed all 14,000 ft peaks in Colorado After retirement at age 68. Some he climbed several times. He never worked out, but lived vigorously to age 96.

If you have a sedentary lifestyle or job.... Get moving!

Gym routines can be moderate and safe, depends on the person and their build and health, and health history. I use a 'senior gym' that is tailored to elderly. Both heavy lifters, body builders + occasional light workout members attend. I swim 70+ laps daily because I have a light frame and cannot do impact due to work injuries. Gym time is by far the least important and likely the least strenuous of many of my daily duties. (Farmer, builder, construction, WW adventure travel.) Well north of age 60, still vertical (and capable and active).

Old 08-05-2022, 09:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
female age 63 here.
i do qi gong daily.

it helps immensely with balance, strengthens immune system, increased vitality and well-being, reduces fall risk (everyone past age 60 is a fall risk), reduces illness, shortens recovery time when sick, and can be done at any age by any physical capacity, sitting, standing or bedridden recovering from illness or injury.

i am still working full time, and i also walk outdoors three times a day during my work day at lunch and on my breaks.
Quote:
everyone past age 60 is a fall risk
I'll think about that the next time I get knocked to the floor playing basketball.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:25 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Gosh, it varies depending on one's fitness goals and physical shape, doesn't it??

What works for me might not suit you.

Me? I do enough to stay toned and work most of my muscles...plus cycling (outside) and walking (treadmill in gym) or outside, weather permitting.

My weight is normal.

But that's me.

I don't exercise to the point where I injure myself or have major pain in muscles or joints.

For those of lesser fitness levels, pool work is terrific....water aerobics or swimming...

Old 08-05-2022, 05:31 PM

66 posts, read 48,141 times
Kama Sutra but it takes a partner.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:06 PM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'll think about that the next time I get knocked to the floor playing basketball.
This summer, one of my tennis partners, who turned 95 this past September, finally hung up his tennis racket. I played tennis with him regularly. He must not have worried too much.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:55 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
How much exercise can one do in their 40's, 50's, 60's? Why stop there? If you want to stay healthy the importance of exercise can't be overstated. I have been athletic a good portion of my life, playing and coaching football, basketball, etc. Now in my 70's, I still train pretty hard, lifting weights, circuit training, cardio, etc. While my recovery time is a little longer, and you need to be a little more careful to prevent injury, I haven't lost near the muscle mass my inactive friends have by my age. I can still do extreme hikes and climb as well as I did in my 50's. I am heading out to Olympic National Park and the North Cascades to hike, scramble and climb in a few weeks. If you live life on a couch.....you'll probably die on it! Get moving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness