Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 10:00 PM

1,655 posts, read 779,278 times

Advertisements

I went roller skating at a rink yesterday and wow — what a workout. My first time in 20 years so I felt like a fool out there, but it really worked out my legs and muscles I don’t think I’ve used much in long time. Another thing I like about it is that it doesn’t beat up your joints like running (and no getting wet like swimming or danger like biking on the road)…really makes you work on coordination/balance too. I fell once and almost fell about 2,000 times. Think I might try it once every week or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2022, 08:56 AM

6,076 posts, read 3,794,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I went roller skating at a rink yesterday and wow — what a workout. My first time in 20 years so I felt like a fool out there, but it really worked out my legs and muscles I don’t think I’ve used much in long time. Another thing I like about it is that it doesn’t beat up your joints like running (and no getting wet like swimming or danger like biking on the road)…really makes you work on coordination/balance too. I fell once and almost fell about 2,000 times. Think I might try it once every week or two.
Interesting, but roller skating might not be such a good idea for older folks. Too much danger from broken bones.

Perhaps something similar like a skiing exercise machine or stair climber would give a similar workout with nearly zero chance of injury from falling.

Old 08-20-2022, 10:10 AM

3,074 posts, read 2,059,596 times
GoAmerica

Your post reminded of the time I rented inline skates to take on vacation years ago. Like you I thought it would be a low-impact good cardio exercise. Hahaha nope. I was in my 50s then, in very good shape from playing tennis at a competitive level several times a week, also went to gym twice a week.

My knees and other body parts could not handle skating--oh the pain.
I skated as a child indoors and loved it soooo much.
Even after 30 years of tennis and then pickleball I never had knee problems until trying those darn inline skates.

If it feels good to your body then keep it up.
My knees cannot take skating level of stress.
I take a brisk walk once a day now in my late 60s, working up to more strenuous hikes hoping spouse will join me.

Old 08-20-2022, 12:27 PM

10,375 posts, read 10,701,022 times
Yes, it is surprising how new activities will cause pain to muscles you didn't realize your have. Even not doing an activity for a few weeks can cause intense muscle soreness. Many of us have made this mistake too often. Best to ease into any new activities or exercise you haven't done in awhile. I wish I would take my own advice.

Old 08-20-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
GoAmerica

Your post reminded of the time I rented inline skates to take on vacation years ago. Like you I thought it would be a low-impact good cardio exercise. Hahaha nope. I was in my 50s then, in very good shape from playing tennis at a competitive level several times a week, also went to gym twice a week.

My knees and other body parts could not handle skating--oh the pain.
I skated as a child indoors and loved it soooo much.
Even after 30 years of tennis and then pickleball I never had knee problems until trying those darn inline skates.

If it feels good to your body then keep it up.
My knees cannot take skating level of stress.
I take a brisk walk once a day now in my late 60s, working up to more strenuous hikes hoping spouse will join me.
Do you think it was just that you were using a lot of muscles trying to stabilize yourself? I felt some mild pain too, but I think it was just my muscles and mind giving it everything they had to balance myself. I would think once you’ve got the coordination part licked and maintain it — roller skating should easier on the joints than most forms of cardio. The people who had it down were just gliding with small movements like they were on ice. I imagine that kind of balance would be a good thing to achieve and maintain for as long as possible.

Old 08-25-2022, 01:26 PM

9,452 posts, read 8,429,879 times
There is WAY too much danger in falling and injuring a hand/wrist/elbow/SHOULDER/knee from roller skating (at least for me). You're essentially on hard concrete. I'd rather go for a two hour walk or do some high intensity stair climber or eliptical machine. Not for this guy but I could see how you'd use muscles that you wouldn't ordinarily use.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
There is WAY too much danger in falling and injuring a hand/wrist/elbow/SHOULDER/knee from roller skating (at least for me). You're essentially on hard concrete. I'd rather go for a two hour walk or do some high intensity stair climber or eliptical machine. Not for this guy but I could see how you'd use muscles that you wouldn't ordinarily use.
I definitely saw how dangerous it could be until it feels like a natural movement. Plenty of times I thought I was falling…a few times like I could fall backwards and hit my head.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:27 PM

17,565 posts, read 39,217,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I definitely saw how dangerous it could be until it feels like a natural movement. Plenty of times I thought I was falling…a few times like I could fall backwards and hit my head.
I have a friend in his 60s who went skating, fell backward and hit head and had a stroke. Very dangerous activity for most people over 30.

Old 08-27-2022, 07:15 PM

6,480 posts, read 4,013,885 times
So wear a helmet. Life doesn't end for a person once they hit 30. And people don't automatically turn into decrepit senior citizens once they hit 30.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:52 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,924,065 times
The perfect cardio is skiing.
The athletes with the highest VO2Max are Norwegian skiiers.

Then when there isn't snow, you can rollerski!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness