Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 06:50 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,740 times

Advertisements

Which activity puts less strain on the hips? Cycling or running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 07:02 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
What type of hip problem are you trying to avoid?

Old 10-05-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What type of hip problem are you trying to avoid?
I both cycle and run. I upped my mileage on both my cycling and running this week and now am feeling some discomfort (some achiness and stiffness) in one hip (the side rather more towards the front than the back). I am thinking it might be some mild tendonitis or incipient overuse injury brought on by my relatively sudden increase in activity.

I am wondering if I should pull back on cycling or on the running, or both, or stop the cycling (temporarily) while keeping on with the running or keeping on with the cycling while stopping the running (temporarily). That kind of thing. I think that cycling involves my hips more, but is also gentler (less pounding), whereas running in the opposite.

(BTW, I am also incorporating some more hip stretches into my stretching routine).

Old 10-05-2022, 11:38 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
.. I think that cycling involves my hips more, but is also gentler (less pounding), whereas running in the opposite.

(BTW, I am also incorporating some more hip stretches into my stretching routine).
Perhaps it's the stretching!

I would agree that cycling is generally more hip intensive.

Also, your bike outings are probably longer than time spent running, so my bet is on the extra biking for causing the discomfort.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:02 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,360,805 times
I'll turn 68 in a few months and bike ride on average 4 or 5 times per week, 28 to 35 miles per bike ride. It adds up to about 6500 to 7000 miles per year.

I did a lot of trail running in prior years, especially age 30 to 50. I ran on dirt trails more than on pavement because it was a bit easier on the body. Of course I had good running shoes too. I was also a bike rider in those years, but on average a bit less than now. Running IMO puts more strain on the knees and lower body than riding on a properly adjusted bike. The key words are properly adjusted.

Riding on a bike that is not adjusted right, not the right size for the rider or on a saddle that is not right for the rider can cause a lot of pain and suffering. When I go for a ride, I usually don't feel pain or strain during or after the ride. And my rides are not on flat terrain - not much of that in my current home base location. However, my bike fits me well, just right in fact.

I don't do any stretches before or after my bike rides. Last year and earlier this year, I had some discomfort in my right hip, but it has disappeared. Not sure what the cause of the hip pain was, but glad it went away.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Perhaps it's the stretching!

I would agree that cycling is generally more hip intensive.

Also, your bike outings are probably longer than time spent running, so my bet is on the extra biking for causing the discomfort.
I think you maybe onto something with the stretching

Old 10-06-2022, 06:36 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,888,677 times
Quote:
I both cycle and run. I upped my mileage on both my cycling and running this week and now am feeling some discomfort (some achiness and stiffness) in one hip (the side rather more towards the front than the back). I am thinking it might be some mild tendonitis or incipient overuse injury brought on by my relatively sudden increase in activity.

I am wondering if I should pull back on cycling or on the running, or both, or stop the cycling (temporarily) while keeping on with the running or keeping on with the cycling while stopping the running (temporarily). That kind of thing. I think that cycling involves my hips more, but is also gentler (less pounding), whereas running in the opposite.

That's it. It's too much volume too fast.

IF your bike isn't set up right, high volume can make your hips miserable. When my Q factor is too wide, it's horrible.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:54 AM
bu2

24,071 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
I think you maybe onto something with the stretching
Also make sure you are giving yourself adequate rest days. If you work hard every day, you will break down and get overuse injuries.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:26 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
In a properly setup bike, stress on hips should be MUCH less than running; no impact.

Setup factors that could stress hips are crank length (Most bikes these days have cranks that are too long for the frame size; I'm 5'10" and the correct crank length for me is 165-170 mm but most bikes that fit me come off the shelf with 175 or 180 mm) and "tread width/Q factor" - the distance between two pedals. Most bikes today put your feet way too far apart.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:07 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
In a properly setup bike, stress on hips should be MUCH less than running; no impact.

Setup factors that could stress hips are crank length (Most bikes these days have cranks that are too long for the frame size; I'm 5'10" and the correct crank length for me is 165-170 mm but most bikes that fit me come off the shelf with 175 or 180 mm) and "tread width/Q factor" - the distance between two pedals. Most bikes today put your feet way too far apart.
You are spot-on correct. I am 184 cm / 6'0" and I use a 170 mm crank. I am somewhat tall in the torso vs. legs so 170 mm fits me fine. My bottom bracket is also narrower because my bike was designed for cassettes with maximum 9/10 speeds. The new bikes with 11/12 speed have wider bottom brackets that push out the Q factor, due to the wider rear hubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness