Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 10:13 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,629,426 times

Advertisements

Next time he approaches you, look at him with wide eyes and a smile a la Jack Nicholson, and say loudly "you know, vomit...ain't half bad!" and stare off into space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 10:15 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,136,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Next time he approaches you, look at him with wide eyes and a smile a la Jack Nicholson, and say loudly "you know, vomit...ain't half bad!" and stare off into space.
NJmmadude, I always like your posts!

Old 11-03-2022, 10:19 AM

29,765 posts, read 34,474,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
UPDATE

At the gym this morning:

Yet again, I was listening to music on wired earphones, and working out, and the gym manager came up and started talking at me. I tapped the earphones, smiled, said, “I’m working out”, and walked away. He kept on talking for a bit.

I saw him jump on treadmills next to people who were running, and he’d talk at them.

The cycle repeats!
It sounds like you're making progress. You train people like you train animals--you reward the behavior you want and ignore the behavior you don't want. Every day, he's learning that he won't get his desired response from you.

Old 11-03-2022, 04:34 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,208,360 times
I think it's important that a Gym Manager get feedback from members about what members like, and don't like, about their gym. If we don't give them feedback, we are doing the gym a disservice because we are their customers. Businesses want to know if their customers are satisfied with their service.

What if you were to stop by his desk and ask him if he'd like some feedback? If he says 'yes', then use only a few sentences to let him know whqt is important to you about your gym experience. You could preface it with saying you only have a couple minutes, and wanted to give the gym your brief feedback. I'll be interested to hear what you decide to do.

Old 11-03-2022, 06:40 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,214,669 times
Quote:
UPDATE

…… He said that he actually didn’t like it but figured that it wasn’t a battle worth fighting.

Long story short, his wife is sending a letter to the manager, telling him to stop. She’s not a club member so the manager can get mad at her all he wants.
^^^This is as bizarre if not more so as is the behavior of the manager.

Aren’t you a lawyer?
How the person could complain about something - if they are not present to witness the behavior? Hearsay?

Or do you mean that she has used the gym as family of the member of the club and was “talked to”during her work outs ?

Then the gym people would know who she is; they would know that her husband - the member of the club = the 2 of them are the same.

What is wrong with you people that you are afraid to make your concerns known?

Then just enjoy the chatting company during your work outs…

Old 11-03-2022, 06:50 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Quote:
Thanks. You have great advice.

If the gym manager has been there 30 years, and I’ve just one of hundreds or thousands of members and have been there just a few years, I figure that management would take his side, not mine. And in any event, the manager could trash talk me to other employees and I’d be marked as someone difficult (not just in the gym but in other parts of the building, such as the restaurants, which I like).
You are willfully disempowering yourself, with this kind of self-talk. You're a paying customer. What's more, there are other paying customers like you, who aren't happy with the situation. And furthermore, I imagine you pay a tidy sum for the country club membership that gives you access to the gym associated with it. Do the club members not have clout? Are they all just nobody? The way you reason, none of you are anyone to take seriously.

You could take a "safety in numbers" approach, by formulating a letter, and collecting a few signatures, and sending it to the gym owner. All you have to say, is that you members would like to be left alone when you're working out, and that the mgr's behavior is not only very distracting, it's potentially dangerous when he waves in your face to try to initiate some chatting. You can state, that some of you have limited time for working out, so you're not able to spend idle time in extensive conversation, and that you don't go to the gym to socialize, but to work out.

This could be brief. The overall gist is, that all you're asking is to be left to work out in peace, so you can focus on your routine.

That's very reasonable. From what I've understood from your posts, the gym is an amenity pertaining to the country club. Members have every right to request a simple thing like being allowed to work out undisturbed and uninterrupted.

I'm starting to think, that the whole lot of you need assertiveness training. You're afraid the manager would harass you in some way, if you were to complain about him, but if he ever did that, you would have even more grounds to report his behavior to the owner. Maybe you should do some internet research to see if the manager is a relative of the owner. Is that what you're afraid of?

Or, alternatively, maybe something could be done from the country club side of the equation. Maybe a few of you could talk to a couple of gym board members, who are probably your own fellow club members. From a club membership perspective, you're peers with them. You might be able to approach board member at the next club event.

Old 11-03-2022, 06:56 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,136,232 times
Ruth4Truth, as ways, great advice, and thanks!

The club is run by a board and is a nonprofit.

Old 11-07-2022, 02:06 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,235,401 times
Quote:
Could I ask how you’d handle this?

I am a member of a gym that is part of a private club (like a country club or the like). It’s a nice place and there are very strict rules about members’ behavior, including no rude treatment of staff.

I work out in the mornings. I like to go to the gym then. I cannot go later in the day. I wear headphones or earphones when I work out, and I listen to music. I really don’t like being interrupted.

However, the gym manager won’t leave me alone. Every morning at the gym, he’ll come up and start talking at me about random topics, such as work or current events. He does this when I’m working out. For example, I’ll be running on the treadmill, listening to music, and he’ll interrupt. I’ll be in the middle of a set of lifting free weights, and he’ll interrupt. When I ignore him, he’ll come within inches of me, waving his hands within inches of my face (which I ignore until he goes away). Or when I’m running, he’ll stand there and talk at me.

Would you just keep ignoring him, as eventually he’ll go away?

Would you tell him, “Leave me alone!”?

Would you ask his boss (the club’s general manager) to tell him not to interrupt people who are in the middle of workouts or listening to music?

Would you ask him and his boss for a meeting to discuss why I’m not allowed to work out, and ask for a refund of gym dues?

I’m thinking that I should keep ignoring him. It seems rude but that is better than telling him to leave me alone, I think. But ignoring him means that he’ll come within inches of my face when I’m running on the treadmill, waving his hands and talking at me, which is really disturbing.

Thanks.
That's a difficult one saying something convey that you're annoyed it might come off as rude.

I would say I'm trying to focus on my run or whatever you're doing. I'm trying to keep count or act like you're talking on the phone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness