Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 09:59 AM

574 posts, read 269,382 times

Advertisements

I'm 55 (almost 56 in 2 weeks), 6'4, 190 lbs. My 1 rep max on military (overhead, standing) is 290lbs. That's with some leg power.

what works for building strength is finding the weight you can only do 5-6 reps. And then do this weight for 5reps, 2 minute rest 5 times. Then do some other strength exercises. Very important the rest does not exceed 2 minutes, and you do 5by5.

I'd suggest getting a gym membership, where you can work your overhead press and triceps as well as the log. Do the log everyday, and a targeted gym session at least 4 times a week where you do overhead press and triceps and rear delts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2023, 02:28 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,698,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
I'm 55 (almost 56 in 2 weeks), 6'4, 190 lbs. My 1 rep max on military (overhead, standing) is 290lbs. That's with some leg power.

what works for building strength is finding the weight you can only do 5-6 reps. And then do this weight for 5reps, 2 minute rest 5 times. Then do some other strength exercises. Very important the rest does not exceed 2 minutes, and you do 5by5.

I'd suggest getting a gym membership, where you can work your overhead press and triceps as well as the log. Do the log everyday, and a targeted gym session at least 4 times a week where you do overhead press and triceps and rear delts.
I do a modified StrongLifts 5×5. Everyone has opinions about weight, reps, and time between sets. According to StrongLifts 5×5, they state:

Quote:
Rest times matter because ATP is your primary energy source for lifting. Each set depletes your ATP stores. It takes three minutes for them to recover 80%. Rest five minutes and you have 95% back. So resting longer between sets gives you more ATP for your next set. It helps you lift heavier.

Short rest times make you sweat more and cause more pump. But they limit how heavy you can go by forcing you to lift with depleted ATP stores. The goal of StrongLifts 5×5 is to lift heavy because that triggers maximum strength and muscle gains. Rest longer so you can go heavy.

Old 02-02-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I do a modified StrongLifts 5×5. Everyone has opinions about weight, reps, and time between sets. According to StrongLifts 5×5, they state:
The purpose is not to fully recover, which is why I said 2 minutes. If you want to build muscle, you really need to be a bit fatigued when you get to round 4 and 5. If you breeze through your 5by5 with 2 minute pause, then add weight. If you're doing it right, you won't get to 5 reps the last round or maybe even the 4th one. It's by pushing through these missing 1-2 reps over the last 1-2 rounds where you grow.

Old 02-02-2023, 03:18 PM

2,456 posts, read 1,701,035 times
Quote:
Quote:
The purpose is not to fully recover, which is why I said 2 minutes. If you want to build muscle, you really need to be a bit fatigued when you get to round 4 and 5. If you breeze through your 5by5 with 2 minute pause, then add weight. If you're doing it right, you won't get to 5 reps the last round or maybe even the 4th one. It's by pushing through these missing 1-2 reps over the last 1-2 rounds where you grow.
From my understanding you need to do it both ways. The shorter rest builds muscle size and then the longer rest period makes the bigger muscles stronger. I work out 6 days a week. Monday and thursday are upper body, tuesday and friday are legs/lower back, and wednesday and saturday are log days.

Because my log is homemade I have been lifting it the way I do because I couldn't add weight. I could just add repetitions. I just got back from the local welding shop and they are building ends for my log so I will be able to add weight to it.

Old 02-02-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
From my understanding you need to do it both ways. The shorter rest builds muscle size and then the longer rest period makes the bigger muscles stronger. I work out 6 days a week. Monday and thursday are upper body, tuesday and friday are legs/lower back, and wednesday and saturday are log days.

Because my log is homemade I have been lifting it the way I do because I couldn't add weight. I could just add repetitions. I just got back from the local welding shop and they are building ends for my log so I will be able to add weight to it.
No, your understanding is not correct. I suggest you take a look at this:

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Rest_Times

Old 02-02-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:

I love reading about the science of weightlifting, but the science is catching up since this is a complex topic.

If you pick a weight you're 86% @ but only do 5reps (where you should be at 90%) , you don't want to be fully rested. You want the last rep on round 5 to be ugly, where you dig in and pull it out. Obviously if you rest a long time between you will be able to do it indefinitely without seeing any progress.

Now, in practice, you won't be able to do this 5by5 with 2 minutes the first time you do it if you pick the weights right. Round 1 should be easy, by round 3 you're getting creative with form. And in actuality, to not hurt yourself you'd probably rest a little longer or not put out 5. But that's the goal, when you do 5by5 in 2 minutes, you have gained strength, and your 1rep should be budged by about 5lbs.

Old 02-02-2023, 03:51 PM

Quote:

That could be correct. Yesterday I watched a podcast with Matt Wenning and he said you first had to do bodybuilding style lifting to get bigger. Then change over to more weight with longer rests to make that bigger muscle stronger. Maybe he is wrong. I have no idea.

I just know personally I like the longer rest period. It keeps me from being sore and lets me do more reps with heavier weights. I am in no hurry to reach my goal so I use what keeps me wanting to lift the next day. When I have tried the shorter rest period I always get sore and just don't want to lift the next day.

Old 02-02-2023, 03:56 PM

Quote:
That could be correct. Yesterday I watched a podcast with Matt Wenning and he said you first had to do bodybuilding style lifting to get bigger. Then change over to more weight with longer rests to make that bigger muscle stronger. Maybe he is wrong. I have no idea.

I just know personally I like the longer rest period. It keeps me from being sore and lets me do more reps with heavier weights. I am in no hurry to reach my goal so I use what keeps me wanting to lift the next day. When I have tried the shorter rest period I always get sore and just don't want to lift the next day.
If you're new to lifting weights, that's probably right. I've been lifting since my high school days, and now my soreness generally goes away very fast.

But as the saying goes, no pain no gain. I love that feeling of being sore, because I know im getting stronger.

Old 02-02-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Shorter rest periods will increase endurance. CrossFit workouts are a good example of this. Check out some of the workouts on https://www.crossfit.com/

Old 02-02-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
If you're new to lifting weights, that's probably right. I've been lifting since my high school days, and now my soreness generally goes away very fast.

But as the saying goes, no pain no gain. I love that feeling of being sore, because I know im getting stronger.
So did I in my 20s and 30s. Not so much in my 50s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness