Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 08:50 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,787,858 times

Advertisements

G'mornin everyone,

I am a 64 year old woman.

As a New Year's resolution, I have decided that it's time for me to shed my extra Covid weight!

Pre-Covid, I was walking about 5 miles a day. I also went to the gym and worked out 6 days a week. Nothing major, but just enough to stay 'toned'. My work outs were split between barbells and dumbbells. I got up to 40 lbs. on the barbells, and 10 lbs. (each) on the dumbbells. Ten reps for each exercise, two sets per work out.

But looking at my schedule, I realize that I simply won't have the time to get to the gym. I don't have a car, and the bus I'd need to take to the gym and back only runs every hour. I'd be spending more time waiting for the bus/travelling than actually working out!

So, I figured that I'd try to work out at home. I really can't afford much equipment-wise, so I figured I'd try using resistance bands. I had a small set before, but they were kind of flimsy (the tubular type). Plus, the maximum weight 'load' for what I had was only 15 lbs.

I'm looking for recommendations for bands that start at about 10-15 lbs. and increase to about 40-50 lbs. Something long enough for me to wrap around the back legs of a chair. Something that would come with a set of handles (if possible. If not, and I like the bands, I could always purchase the handles separately). Something that doesn't have a reputation for snaping easily.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 10:21 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
I bought Athletic Works resistance bands at Walmart and they are pretty good. They come in light, medium, heavy, and ultra heavy. They don't list the resistance in terms of lbs, but I think the light ones would be around 15 lbs or so. One did eventually snap after a lot of use and I simply bought another one, but they aren't flimsy by any means.

The one pictured below is the light band. I forget the price but it was less than ten dollars.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageHoverTitle

Old 12-22-2022, 11:11 AM

Thanks, Michael!

After doing a little more research on this, I just found out that the color coding of the bands varies from one manufacturer to another. I'll probably have to get more than one set. I saw a set online today, and the tension increases 10 lbs. per color (yellow is 10 lbs, blue is 20...up to 50). But there's no way I'd be able to jump from 10 lbs to 20! I'll have to get something else that can get me from 10 to 15, 20 to 25, etc.

I think I got my first set at WalMart, but that was like, 8 years ago. The WalMart I go to has a pretty decent athletic section, so I'll probably start there. The band in the picture looks pretty sturdy, with a decent length. Hopefully, WalMart will have that brand.

I won't be able to get to WalMart until next Wednesday. If they don't have what I'm looking for, I'll just order them online.

Thanks again!

Old 12-22-2022, 07:55 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Thanks, Michael!

After doing a little more research on this, I just found out that the color coding of the bands varies from one manufacturer to another. I'll probably have to get more than one set. I saw a set online today, and the tension increases 10 lbs. per color (yellow is 10 lbs, blue is 20...up to 50). But there's no way I'd be able to jump from 10 lbs to 20! I'll have to get something else that can get me from 10 to 15, 20 to 25, etc.

I think I got my first set at WalMart, but that was like, 8 years ago. The WalMart I go to has a pretty decent athletic section, so I'll probably start there. The band in the picture looks pretty sturdy, with a decent length. Hopefully, WalMart will have that brand.

I won't be able to get to WalMart until next Wednesday. If they don't have what I'm looking for, I'll just order them online.

Thanks again!
You're welcome.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:20 PM

5,961 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Thanks, Michael!

Thanks again!
I think that you are misunderstanding the "10 pound" and "20 pound" ratings and meanings. I think that the pound limit is the weight for that band when fully stretched.

I have a set of the round tubular resistance bands. I highly recommend them. They came with handles and bars/brackets that hold the bands. You can easily change the bands and even group several into one bracket.

When you first start stretching the band, the force/weight required is minimal. The farther you stretch it, the greater the force required. It doesn't jump from 10 pounds to 20 pounds instantly. It is gradual as you stretch the band(s).

I have mine wrapped around one leg of a very heavy work bench in my garage. I've got the work bench loaded down with heavy tools so I don't have to worry about it moving when I pull on the bands.

I don't recall the name of it, but I'm pretty sure I got it on Amazon. Check it out. If I find a name on it, I'll let you know.

Here ya go. This is very similar, if not exactly like mine.

https://smile.amazon.com/Resistance-...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Old 12-22-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I think that you are misunderstanding the "10 pound" and "20 pound" ratings and meanings. I think that the pound limit is the weight for that band when fully stretched.
Yeah. I figured that out...AFTER I posted. Thanks.

Quote:
I have a set of the round tubular resistance bands. I highly recommend them. They came with handles and bars/brackets that hold the bands. You can easily change the bands and even group several into one bracket.

When you first start stretching the band, the force/weight required is minimal. The farther you stretch it, the greater the force required. It doesn't jump from 10 pounds to 20 pounds instantly. It is gradual as you stretch the band(s).

I have mine wrapped around one leg of a very heavy work bench in my garage. I've got the work bench loaded down with heavy tools so I don't have to worry about it moving when I pull on the bands.

I don't recall the name of it, but I'm pretty sure I got it on Amazon. Check it out. If I find a name on it, I'll let you know.

Here ya go. This is very similar, if not exactly like mine.

https://smile.amazon.com/Resistance-...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
Oh, wow. I like those! Didn't see them in my 'surfing' today. They look much more durable than the set I had.

Thanks, Chas!

Old 12-23-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I figured that out...AFTER I posted. Thanks.

Oh, wow. I like those! Didn't see them in my 'surfing' today. They look much more durable than the set I had.

Thanks, Chas!
You're welcome. They are very durable. I've had my set for about 5 to 7 years (don't remember exactly how long). I've had zero problems with mine. Of course, I don't use them every day or even every week.

My usage is somewhat sporadic. Sometimes I'll use them regularly for a few months, then I may not use them again for a couple of months. I wish I were dedicated enough to use them 2 or 3 times every week, but unfortunately, other activities get in the way and I don't find or take the time to use them as much as I should.

Old 12-23-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
You're welcome. They are very durable. I've had my set for about 5 to 7 years (don't remember exactly how long). I've had zero problems with mine. Of course, I don't use them every day or even every week.

My usage is somewhat sporadic. Sometimes I'll use them regularly for a few months, then I may not use them again for a couple of months. I wish I were dedicated enough to use them 2 or 3 times every week, but unfortunately, other activities get in the way and I don't find or take the time to use them as much as I should.
O.k. Thanks for that.

I'm hoping to be able to use these for at least a few months. Daily, taking Sundays off. Luckily, once I dedicate my mind to something, I'm pretty good at keeping it up to the point where I reach my goal.

Right now, my goal is to lose the Covid weight, and 'tone up'. So, I'm hoping that the bands I get will support me in that endeavor!

I think I'll go with your recommendation.

Thanks! And, Merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2022, 08:30 PM

I think that it helps a lot if you find something to anchor the other end to. Of course, you can just stand on the stretchy tubes as shown in the video or use the door attachment, but I find it better to have something sturdy/heavy to anchor it to.

If you don't have a heavy workbench to anchor to like I have, you might be able to improvise some other way. For example, if you have a garage, you could use some long screws to attach a piece of 2x4 wood to several studs in the wall. Then use something like this to fasten to the 2x4.

https://smile.amazon.com/Premium-Sta...852040&sr=8-11

The reason for using the piece of 2x4 is to spread the weight/force over several of the vertical wall studs. If you just screwed the bracket into one stud, you might be able to pull the stud loose if you pull really hard on it.

Old 12-30-2022, 07:13 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
G'mornin everyone,

I am a 64 year old woman.

As a New Year's resolution, I have decided that it's time for me to shed my extra Covid weight!

Pre-Covid, I was walking about 5 miles a day. I also went to the gym and worked out 6 days a week. Nothing major, but just enough to stay 'toned'. My work outs were split between barbells and dumbbells. I got up to 40 lbs. on the barbells, and 10 lbs. (each) on the dumbbells. Ten reps for each exercise, two sets per work out.

But looking at my schedule, I realize that I simply won't have the time to get to the gym. I don't have a car, and the bus I'd need to take to the gym and back only runs every hour. I'd be spending more time waiting for the bus/travelling than actually working out!

So, I figured that I'd try to work out at home. I really can't afford much equipment-wise, so I figured I'd try using resistance bands. I had a small set before, but they were kind of flimsy (the tubular type). Plus, the maximum weight 'load' for what I had was only 15 lbs.

I'm looking for recommendations for bands that start at about 10-15 lbs. and increase to about 40-50 lbs. Something long enough for me to wrap around the back legs of a chair. Something that would come with a set of handles (if possible. If not, and I like the bands, I could always purchase the handles separately). Something that doesn't have a reputation for snaping easily.

Any suggestions?
I suggest avoiding resistance bands and getting dumbbells and kettlebells instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Resistance bands are one of the most dangerous ways to exercise. There are many reports of severe eye injuries.

https://www.google.com/search?q=resi...hrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.rsblawfirm.com/st-louis-...band-injuries/

"Injuries from the use of exercise resistance bands and tubes have skyrocketed in the last 10 years. These injuries began to be noticed by the medical community in the early 1990s, and they have grown exponentially since then. In particular, injuries to the eyes, face and other sensitive body parts are frequently experienced"

Senator Harry Reid was severely injured by a resistance band.

https://www.distractify.com/p/what-h...harry-reid-eye
If you really want to use resistance bands I suggest using one with an inner safety cord like the ones by Bodylastics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness