Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2023, 05:16 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times

Advertisements

SmartRow, the maker of power meters for the WaterRower, sponsors a monthly competition. It varies each month and this month, it’s a 500m sprint. Last month, it was for distance.

A distance competition during February was perfect for me despite the month only having 28 days. My rower sits outside and the temps, which ranged from 30F to 79F were manageable. Being retired and with MrsK7’s support, I knew I could win but, I set a goal. Despite back pains, blisters on my hand and a bit of chafing, I met my goal of exceeding 1,000,000 meters.

MrsK7 surprised me with champagne and cannoli.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2023, 11:55 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,370,882 times
Congratulations Gerry, you covered a lot of water in one month. That's roughly 620 miles!

I am a frequent bike rider, but due to snow/ice/nasty conditions had a bunch of non-ride days from late Dec to now. So far this year I've pedaled about 1700 km (1050 miles), and will ramp up 600-700 miles per month in the upcoming Spring through Fall months.

My legs and lower body get a lot of exercise, but I need more upper body workout as I have lost a lot of muscle in arms & chest (age 68). Rowing would probably be a good activity, but I don't know if I have the mental stamina for a rowing machine. I think I would be tempted to say "that's enough for now". The thing I like about bike riding is the scenery and the adventure of taking a big variety of different routes. If I were to try rowing, I'd like to try it on a lake. Have you rowed on Lake Martin or Lake Wedowee? There's even a small lake near you, Chambers County reservoir or a couple of lakes on the north side of Opelika.

Old 03-02-2023, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Congratulations Gerry, you covered a lot of water in one month. That's roughly 620 miles!

I am a frequent bike rider, but due to snow/ice/nasty conditions had a bunch of non-ride days from late Dec to now. So far this year I've pedaled about 1700 km (1050 miles), and will ramp up 600-700 miles per month in the upcoming Spring through Fall months.

My legs and lower body get a lot of exercise, but I need more upper body workout as I have lost a lot of muscle in arms & chest (age 68). Rowing would probably be a good activity, but I don't know if I have the mental stamina for a rowing machine. I think I would be tempted to say "that's enough for now". The thing I like about bike riding is the scenery and the adventure of taking a big variety of different routes. If I were to try rowing, I'd like to try it on a lake. Have you rowed on Lake Martin or Lake Wedowee? There's even a small lake near you, Chambers County reservoir or a couple of lakes on the north side of Opelika.
I haven’t kayaked in this area yet. I did a trip a decade ago from the “New Capital” to “Old Cahaba” which was about 70% solo though. With everything fairly well organized, I’m looking forward to cycling and kayaking this spring!

A friend of mine just pointed out that my total was more than the other winners combined. Holy smokes.

BTW, it seems that indoor rowing is very popular in Europe esp Germany, Austria, Belgium, etc. I based that on the number of participants in our competitions from these countries.

Hope you’re doing well!

Old 03-03-2023, 07:16 AM

737 posts, read 410,335 times
It's my favorite exercise. It's been my foundational exercise for the past 2 years.

Made respect OP!!! I cannot afford outdoor rowing, it's very expensive in my area, so I am exclusive indoor rower. Again mad respect!

Old 03-07-2023, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
It's my favorite exercise. It's been my foundational exercise for the past 2 years.

Made respect OP!!! I cannot afford outdoor rowing, it's very expensive in my area, so I am exclusive indoor rower. Again mad respect!
Thank you! Appreciate the kind words.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:15 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
What does rowing do for you as far as exercise goes. I would think it's as much strength training as cardio??

Old 03-14-2023, 09:01 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

Rowing isn't really an upper body exercise although the arms and chest contribute more than cycling. It is a leg>back>stomach>chest/arms>wrists exercise.

In my experience it is the hardest thing I've ever done when going full out. It's like doing a leg press machine at a reasonable high rate of speed except the resistance doesn't break as you go through the motion. It's the same all the way through.

To be proficient on the water it takes a bit of time and practice and certainly it's better start with sweeps rather than sculling. On the water a lot of times your wrists get really fatigued until you are trained because you have to "feather" the oars.

Skill wise, rowing on the water is harder than you would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness