Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 10:04 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times

Advertisements

I work at home nearly full-time in a second storey bedroom on a laminate floor. I spend a lot of time on the computer, and have been looking at treadmills. This would keep me active during my workday. My workflow basically needs me to keep the mouse moving to be active on Teams, so I don't need a full desk on the treadmill (though that would be nice). Under-desk would be nice if it otherwise meets the needs, but is not required.

I'm looking for something that could accommodate a 250 lb. man for walking at a mild grade - say, 6.0 or below at 3 mph. No one lives above or below me, so I can walk to my heart's content. I do want side bars to hold/support. The side bars are nearly non-negotiable.

What kinds of treadmills would you recommend at ~$1,000 or less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 07:30 AM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I work at home nearly full-time in a second storey bedroom on a laminate floor. I spend a lot of time on the computer, and have been looking at treadmills. This would keep me active during my workday. My workflow basically needs me to keep the mouse moving to be active on Teams, so I don't need a full desk on the treadmill (though that would be nice). Under-desk would be nice if it otherwise meets the needs, but is not required.

I'm looking for something that could accommodate a 250 lb. man for walking at a mild grade - say, 6.0 or below at 3 mph. No one lives above or below me, so I can walk to my heart's content. I do want side bars to hold/support. The side bars are nearly non-negotiable.

What kinds of treadmills would you recommend at ~$1,000 or less?
Some posters here have recommended NordicTrack C series Treadmills. They also get very good reviews on Amazon and other sites. But do not pay more than $700 for one. They can be hard to get hold of and the prices can range from less then $600 to $2,000. But I have seen them on sale on Amazon for under $600. Also avoid the cheap knockoffs. Even in promotional pictures they look like complete crap, and the ratings are never great. Just keep shopping until you find a good deal on a legit NordicTrack.

Old 03-24-2023, 07:33 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
What a lot of people do is not a treadmill, per se, like you'd see in a gym, but what's called a walking pad. It's smaller and can slide under a standing desk. When they need to sit, they roll the pad away and lower the desk.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What a lot of people do is not a treadmill, per se, like you'd see in a gym, but what's called a walking pad. It's smaller and can slide under a standing desk. When they need to sit, they roll the pad away and lower the desk.
The prices for those are almost as much as a lowend treadmill, and you don't get all the features of a treadmill, such as Adjusting Incline and Speed Controls. They also look too small for any serious exercise.

That said I might consider buying a walking pad myself. The main reasons I haven't bought a treadmill is 1. Cost. 2. Space. 3. Will I actually use it enough to make it worth buying? The walking pad would solve #1 and #2, and it would give me the answer to #3.

But for anyone really serious about exercise, I don't think cheaper alternatives make much sense, when you can buy a good quality full feature NordicTrack for $600 - $700 on sale.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The prices for those are almost as much as a lowend treadmill, and you don't get all the features of a treadmill, such as Adjusting Incline and Speed Controls. They also look too small for any serious exercise.
The difference is that it's not really for serious exercise, because you're using it while you're doing work. You're standing at your desk, walking slowly, while you're in Zoom meeting or typing emails. In that case you don't really want to break a sweat and be out of breath. That might not be what the OP is looking for. I have one of those peddler machines under my desk at home. Is it the same thing as riding a bike, not really, but I feel like I'm less sedentary during a boring meeting or webinar.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
The difference is that it's not really for serious exercise, because you're using it while you're doing work. You're standing at your desk, walking slowly, while you're in Zoom meeting or typing emails. In that case you don't really want to break a sweat and be out of breath. That might not be what the OP is looking for. I have one of those peddler machines under my desk at home. Is it the same thing as riding a bike, not really, but I feel like I'm less sedentary during a boring meeting or webinar.
You might be right. Maybe that is what the OP is looking for. Two problems I can see though. 1. He says it must have side bars. I don't see any walking pads with side bars. 2. It must accommodate 250 lb. Some walking pads are rated below that. So he would have to check the specs for maximum weight.

I still think a low end NordicTrack would be his best option. If he can get it on sale it will be in his price range, and it will give him excellent quality and features.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:34 AM

846 posts, read 681,244 times
If you're 250 lbs, this is not just an exercise problem. Fitness is 80% nutrition, 20% exercise. A treadmill isn't going to fix a poor diet.

You should track your calories. Measure your food with spoons/cups or weigh it on a food scale.

I went from 310 to 190 lbs while barely ever exercising. I ate around 2200-2400 calories per day. I just ate smaller portion sizes, cut out sugary beverages, and drank less alcohol.

Make sure you're getting in enough protein (at least 100-150g per day) so you're not losing too much muscle while you lose fat.

A treadmill alone won't help your muscle development. Maybe you can get some dumbells, or do bodyweight exercises.

And lastly, my main objection against a treadmill is that most people just find it boring. Many people spend $500-1000 on a treadmill, use it for 3 months and then stop using it because they find it monotonous. Are you able to go for walks outside before/after work or during a break?

Last edited by lair8; 03-24-2023 at 10:07 AM..

Old 03-24-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
If you're 250 lbs, this is not just an exercise problem. Fitness is 80% nutrition, 20% exercise. A treadmill isn't going to fix a poor diet.

You should track your calories. Measure your food with spoons/cups or weigh it on a food scale.

I went from 310 to 190 lbs while barely ever exercising. I ate around 2200-2400 calories per day. I just ate smaller portion sizes, cut out sugary beverages, and drank less alcohol.

Make sure you're getting in enough protein (at least 100-150 per day) so you're not losing too much muscle while you lose fat.

A treadmill alone won't help your muscle development. Maybe you can get some dumbells, or do bodyweight exercises.

And lastly, my main objection against a treadmill is that most people just find it boring. Many people spend $500-1000 on a treadmill, use it for 3 months and then stop using it because they find it monotonous. Are you able to go for walks outside before/after work or during a break?
OP asked about none of this, he's just looking for options to not be so sedentary during the workday.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:47 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Quote:
OP asked about none of this
It was exactly what the OP needed to hear, though, and will stop the OP from even having to worry about looking for an expensive treadmill in the future.

Old 03-24-2023, 10:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Hopefully you have better balance than I do (at age 70). My older treadmill has a flat surface that can accommodate my company laptop over the treadmill's display. The problem is that unless I set it reeeeeally slow, I have to hold onto the side bars, at least one of them, and it's hard to type with one hand. I ended up just taking a 1/2 hour morning break to walk on it while keeping my company phone in case I get an urgent email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness