Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 04:05 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times

Advertisements

You're complaining about weighing 107? (That's pounds, not kilo's, right?)

You're more than ideal in your height/weight dept.

We've got a poster here that eats a 107 pound lunch, every day! (Amazing, for a librarian.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2023, 04:53 PM

666 posts, read 478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
You're complaining about weighing 107? (That's pounds, not kilo's, right?)

You're more than ideal in your height/weight dept.

We've got a poster here that eats a 107 pound lunch, every day! (Amazing, for a librarian.)
I’m short. But i more so want to buff and tone up.

What’s a 107 lb lunch!?

Old 03-25-2023, 10:35 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
I started strength training 2 months ago and getting slightly discouraged. In the beginning I was taking progress photos weekly but not seeing a change so I stopped. I have felt a little more toned this week so decided to take a progress photo. But now discouraged seeing no difference between the first day I started.
You need better lighting. No joke.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:22 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,081,172 times
Quote:
Yea that makes sense. I just thought that since I had been working out before that maybe it would be faster to see a change. I’m also wondering how I know that I don’t need to change something I am doing if the change isn’t noticeable. I started playing around with my cardio workouts but not sure if I am overdoing it or not doing enough.

But definitely in this for the long haul. I have felt healthier and more confident overall so enjoying the lifestyle change.
Best part is your last sentence. Hard to put a price on “feeling healthier and more confident”. With these “fitness goals”, your efforts are showing success.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:21 AM

495 posts, read 327,291 times
Why would you expect to see visible results yet? I've read it takes 3-4 months.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:38 AM

310 posts, read 323,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan lizard View Post
Why would you expect to see visible results yet? I've read it takes 3-4 months.
At the very least. To see a true transformation it takes a year.

Old 03-28-2023, 07:28 AM

That makes sense. I almost feel like I’m overdoing it though. Have been feeling exhausted after. But I have been doing 2 rest days and just doing around 45 min workouts so not sure why I’m so low energy.

I took a 1 week break when I went on vacation and was able to lift more after I came back. Was shocked at the progress. But obviously can’t do that all the time.

Any recommendations ? Should I take my 2 days back to back for longer recovery?

Old 03-28-2023, 09:57 AM

310 posts, read 323,061 times
Quote:
That makes sense. I almost feel like I’m overdoing it though. Have been feeling exhausted after. But I have been doing 2 rest days and just doing around 45 min workouts so not sure why I’m so low energy.

I took a 1 week break when I went on vacation and was able to lift more after I came back. Was shocked at the progress. But obviously can’t do that all the time.

Any recommendations ? Should I take my 2 days back to back for longer recovery?
The second day after training can be the sorest. Since your back is bothering you one has to wonder how your form is. If you are using proper form the only soreness should be in the worked muscles. Proper form cannot be stressed enough. If you are on your own lifting I hope you are watching videos and using a mirror.
Learn more moves and mix up your workout.

Work you core! Find exercises for your core and work them in. It is the single most important body to work. Everything stems from there.

Old 03-28-2023, 01:29 PM

1,128 posts, read 609,356 times
I say listen to your body... there is such a thing as overexercising. It's different for everyone.

What many people don't realize is that rest is when your muscles rebuild itself and that's when you get the gains.

However I also suspect that you aren't eating enough proper calories to help your muscles rebuild. Protein of course. But also make 100% sure that you fuel your workout with a proper pre exercise meal. Rest for 1 hr to digest, then workout. Drink lots of water during the workout esp if it's hot.

luckyme609 knows the goods. CORE is probably one of the most important part of you to strengthen. That's one reason why I never skip my leg days - heavy squats. After a year of consistent squats you will feel the difference in your stability and core strength.

I also agree with form. Don't worry about boasting about how heavy or how many reps. Concentrate on form. Control the weight. Slow and no jerking. That builds strength and muscle.

Old 03-28-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I say listen to your body... there is such a thing as overexercising. It's different for everyone.

What many people don't realize is that rest is when your muscles rebuild itself and that's when you get the gains.

However I also suspect that you aren't eating enough proper calories to help your muscles rebuild. Protein of course. But also make 100% sure that you fuel your workout with a proper pre exercise meal. Rest for 1 hr to digest, then workout. Drink lots of water during the workout esp if it's hot.

luckyme609 knows the goods. CORE is probably one of the most important part of you to strengthen. That's one reason why I never skip my leg days - heavy squats. After a year of consistent squats you will feel the difference in your stability and core strength.

I also agree with form. Don't worry about boasting about how heavy or how many reps. Concentrate on form. Control the weight. Slow and no jerking. That builds strength and muscle.
I have been doing around 1400 calories a day and aiming for 85g protein. I usually eat a late breakfast at like 1030 and then have a protein shake and go to the gym on my lunch break at 1230. Weekends I splurge a bit and don’t really count the calories or protein. But I still have been trying to make healthier choices.

I just recently added in core workouts at the end of my leg routine. Have been doing 10 min twice a week. Is that enough?

I think I do a decent job with my form. Don’t have a one on one trainer so I’m sure there are corrections I could make but I have looked at pics and videos online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness