Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 07:43 AM

2,457 posts, read 1,703,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
What would be the point of this fast? And if anyone says "get rid of toxins" I am going to run screaming into a busy street.
From the OPs original post you better start running because that seems to be their reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2023, 09:51 AM

17,454 posts, read 16,633,115 times
Quote:
What would be the point of this fast? And if anyone says "get rid of toxins" I am going to run screaming into a busy street.
My goal was to heal insulin resistance. I didn't achieve that goal. And I won't be doing any more longer fasting.

Old 03-31-2023, 09:57 AM

29,765 posts, read 34,491,950 times
Quote:
And what little I've read about water fasts is that they're generally okay (in the sense of it won't kill you,) but longer fasts are ironically bad for your kidneys, if "detox" is what you're going for

Old 03-31-2023, 11:47 AM

19,113 posts, read 27,710,534 times
I've done complete cleans for a week. 7 days, Sunday to Sunday.
Apple juice and metamucile. Wasn't really hard to do, not hungry at all.
On Wednesday, mucous plaque started coming out. Trust me, you don't want the description. Pictures online are indeed, what it is.
Bigger problem is, Thursday and Friday you go non stop. As in - you sit, defecate, stand up and pull your pants up - and you have to go again. So don't do it, if you work.
I didn't become 20 yrs younger or else noticed any betterment. But, over the next 2 months, I slowly lost 50 lb. With no change in diet.
Also, you need to come out of it wisely. Starting with steamed veggies and very small portions.
Few years later, I attempted it again and, after day 3, I stopped. It just didn't feel right and no plaque was showing.
Is it a panacea to everything? Naahhh. But sure did remove the plaque.

Old 03-31-2023, 12:03 PM

29,765 posts, read 34,491,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I've done complete cleans for a week. 7 days, Sunday to Sunday.
Apple juice and metamucile. Wasn't really hard to do, not hungry at all.
On Wednesday, mucous plaque started coming out. Trust me, you don't want the description. Pictures online are indeed, what it is.
Bigger problem is, Thursday and Friday you go non stop. As in - you sit, defecate, stand up and pull your pants up - and you have to go again. So don't do it, if you work.
I didn't become 20 yrs younger or else noticed any betterment. But, over the next 2 months, I slowly lost 50 lb. With no change in diet.
Also, you need to come out of it wisely. Starting with steamed veggies and very small portions.
Few years later, I attempted it again and, after day 3, I stopped. It just didn't feel right and no plaque was showing.
Is it a panacea to everything? Naahhh. But sure did remove the plaque.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/mucoid-plaque

Quote:
A mucoid plaque is a term used by some practitioners of alternative medicine. It refers to a buildup of intestinal mucus inside the colon due to unhealthy eating habits. There is currently no evidence to suggest that mucoid plaques exist.
https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/he...crap-literally

Quote:
Now let’s get real here. Have pathologists who have carried out thousands of autopsies seen pounds of goo encrusted in intestines? No. Have colo-rectal surgeons who have operated on colons thousands of times seen such sludge? No. Have radiologists who have perused thousands of x-rays of the colon noted the buildup of “mucoid plaque?†No. Why? Because it doesn’t exist.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-31-2023 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-01-2023, 06:30 AM

382 posts, read 173,445 times
Like a lot of threads, there is some really bad advice here from some people who either don't know what they are talking about or aren't talking about the same thing. Or doing said activity wrong. (like drinking applejuice with metamucil which isn't a fast - sweet sugar-laden apple juice during a fast? )

go back to my post, find the info, educate yourself and decide if it's for you. Follow the advice of a medical professional who's written 3 books and operates a clinic doing this very thing.

Of course I haven't head a thing from the OP.

Old 04-01-2023, 07:10 AM

2,457 posts, read 1,703,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOFFLine View Post
Like a lot of threads, there is some really bad advice here from some people who either don't know what they are talking about or aren't talking about the same thing. Or doing said activity wrong. (like drinking applejuice with metamucil which isn't a fast - sweet sugar-laden apple juice during a fast? )

go back to my post, find the info, educate yourself and decide if it's for you. Follow the advice of a medical professional who's written 3 books and operates a clinic doing this very thing.

It is most of the posts in most of the threads on here. For the most part just read the forum as comedy and you will be much better off. The house and work sections are beyond hilarious.

Old 04-01-2023, 08:33 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,049,895 times
Quote:
try watching some of Dr. Jason Fung's videos. He runs a clinic in Toronto that specializes in fasting, has written 3 books and knows what he's talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/@drjasonfung/videos
Quote:

That's pretty funny considering you're recommending that the OP follow the advice from someone who other medical professionals consider to be a charlatan dealing in pseudoscience.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Jason_Fung

Old 04-01-2023, 09:03 AM

382 posts, read 173,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's pretty funny considering you're recommending that the OP follow the advice from someone who other medical professionals consider to be a charlatan dealing in pseudoscience.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Jason_Fung
that's pretty funny considering you're listening to medical "professionals" who are bought and paid off by the pharmaceutical industry, big medical and everyone else who has money to make off selling you something or a supplement or magic pill.

who pays these critics? on whose board of what companies are they sitting? until you can tell me that.....

sorta like when cable news has a retired general on talking about what we should do about russia, china, taiwan etc and don't disclose they sit on the board of raytheon, general dynamics, lockheed martin etc.

Old 04-01-2023, 09:30 AM

17,454 posts, read 16,633,115 times
Quote:

Then feel free to chime in and report on your own experiences with these longer fasts. Probably most of us who have done them are familiar with Fung and Berg.

As far as doing a fast wrong goes, basically you don't eat for multiple days and drink only water. In my case, I allowed myself a mug of bone broth as Fung (I think?) actually has said that it's o.k. to do and won't be enough to break your fast.

It's not complicated. It just wasn't the miraculous cure all that some claim it to be, at least not for me.

If it works for you and you notice substantial benefits from extended fasting, that's great. I've seen people claim to do marathon fasts - 2 weeks or longer- which does not sound healthy at all to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness