Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 06:11 AM

22 posts, read 22,812 times

Advertisements

Hola.

Anyone here into fasting for health? And in particular longer periods of fasting? Say 3 days minimum?

Why did you do it and what benefits did you feel? And were these benefits just "notably feeling better" or did you actually get some readable and quantifiable metrics - i.e. - through bloodwork results?

How about the fast itself? Did you jump straight in to a longer fast (72 hours or more), or had you done shorter ones previously? Say for 24 hours even on a 5:2 programme (2 days a week of full fasting)?

I want to try the 4 day fast (with my goal being the kinds of things talked about by Peter Attia - cell repair, body reboot, possible increased insulin sensitivity). Since I am not currently spending a lot of energy doing carido I thought that now would be the best time.

Can I just jump into this and see how far I get? My plan is to eat a bit more during the next few days and then start fasting on Sunday through to Wednesday. Or at least attempt it and see how far I go.
Not sure if you ideally need to practice fasting first before jumping straight into a longer fast or whether that does not really make much difference. I guess if it is going to be "painful" then best to just get it done all in one go without "practice pain"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 07:53 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,695,412 times
If fasting you need to be healthy to do it. Then fasting causes fatigue and headaches for many. Also eating extra before a fast kinda defeats the purpose. If you have never done it before you probably should start with a shorter time period and work your way up. Like always consult your health care provider before trying anything new.

Old 03-30-2023, 08:53 AM

17,422 posts, read 16,590,828 times
I did 24 hr fasts twice a week for a couple of months before switching to one 48 hour fast for a stretch leading up to a 72 hour fast. In my own case, I kept hydrated and did allow myself a mug of bone broth each day.

I found that my skin looked clearer, my hair and nails were stronger. My body adjusted to the fasting and my lab work numbers looked great.

But, as I said, my body adjusted to those fasts. And, after a while, I experienced a slow down in metabolism as a result.

Long story short, whenever I would stop fasting I would put on weight eating a normal amount of calories which had not been my goal. So I stopped fasting altogether, ate 3 meals a day and allowed myself to gain weight even while eating low carb. A few years have passed and I'm back to doing 16-8. I will not go back to the longer fasts. I am a 57 year old woman for the record.

There seems to be a fast and then binge trend and I do not think that is healthy at all. People will fast for 3 days and then when they break their fasts they gobble up large quantities of fast food and junk food. That is not healthy. And that is not what I was doing.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
If fasting you need to be healthy to do it. Then fasting causes fatigue and headaches for many. Also eating extra before a fast kinda defeats the purpose. If you have never done it before you probably should start with a shorter time period and work your way up. Like always consult your health care provider before trying anything new.
Why is that?

Old 03-30-2023, 09:41 AM

381 posts, read 172,358 times
try watching some of Dr. Jason Fung's videos. He runs a clinic in Toronto that specializes in fasting, has written 3 books and knows what he's talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/@drjasonfung/videos

Old 03-30-2023, 11:25 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,695,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuchyOuch View Post
Why is that?
For me personally it made me way hungrier during the fast. It was easier for me to reduce my food intake for a couple days before a fast. Also like the above poster all fasting did for me was make me gain weight including intermittent fasting. Once I came to the realization it had to be a lifestyle change I have so far lost 40 pounds and feel amazing, Another 20 to go.

I got all the benefits mentioned from fasting by just changing my lifestyle. For me the most noticeable was how much my skin improved.

Old 03-30-2023, 12:19 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,689,198 times
Quote:
Hola.

Anyone here into fasting for health? And in particular longer periods of fasting? Say 3 days minimum?

Why did you do it and what benefits did you feel? And were these benefits just "notably feeling better" or did you actually get some readable and quantifiable metrics - i.e. - through bloodwork results?

How about the fast itself? Did you jump straight in to a longer fast (72 hours or more), or had you done shorter ones previously? Say for 24 hours even on a 5:2 programme (2 days a week of full fasting)?

I want to try the 4 day fast (with my goal being the kinds of things talked about by Peter Attia - cell repair, body reboot, possible increased insulin sensitivity). Since I am not currently spending a lot of energy doing carido I thought that now would be the best time.

Can I just jump into this and see how far I get? My plan is to eat a bit more during the next few days and then start fasting on Sunday through to Wednesday. Or at least attempt it and see how far I go.
Not sure if you ideally need to practice fasting first before jumping straight into a longer fast or whether that does not really make much difference. I guess if it is going to be "painful" then best to just get it done all in one go without "practice pain"?
What does this have to do with Exercise and Fitness?

Old 03-30-2023, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
What does this have to do with Exercise and Fitness?
Everything.

You may as well have asked what does eating and drinking have to do with exercise and fitness.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,689,198 times
Quote:
Everything.

You may as well have asked what does eating and drinking have to do with exercise and fitness.
Just saying that Diet and Weight Loss would be a more appropriate place to post this.

Next we will see questions about including prescription drugs like Ozempic and Tirzepatide to your workout plan.

Old 03-31-2023, 05:28 AM

5,457 posts, read 4,070,431 times
What would be the point of this fast? And if anyone says "get rid of toxins" I am going to run screaming into a busy street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness