Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 08:55 AM

43,211 posts, read 18,372,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I've lost 40+ pounds and I'm looking to tone up my muscles to tighten up my skin. I'm looking for recommendations on what to do. Right now, my main exercise is walking.
Sounds like what you want is muscle mass to fill in the loose skin.

Low reps with a heavy weight will build muscle mass.
High reps with a lighter weight will build muscle endurance.

You want both in your routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 12:26 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,689,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Sounds like what you want is muscle mass to fill in the loose skin.

Low reps with a heavy weight will build muscle mass.
High reps with a lighter weight will build muscle endurance.

You want both in your routine.
It depends on what you define as low and high reps. I've seen people do 30-40 reps with extremely light weight. I've found there are diminishing returns with reps. That endurance doesn't translate to endurance any other activity. Think about push-ups; if my goal is to do 100 push-ups, then I need to do lots of push-ups. But I could better spend that time lifting free weights and doing 1-3 sets of bench presses with 6-12 reps in each set.

Old 05-23-2023, 03:30 PM

43,211 posts, read 18,372,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
It depends on what you define as low and high reps. I've seen people do 30-40 reps with extremely light weight. I've found there are diminishing returns with reps. That endurance doesn't translate to endurance any other activity. Think about push-ups; if my goal is to do 100 push-ups, then I need to do lots of push-ups. But I could better spend that time lifting free weights and doing 1-3 sets of bench presses with 6-12 reps in each set.
You get to define it. We're not all the same so I didn't throw out any numbers.
I know what works for me.

The endurance is muscle endurance, not activity endurance.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:29 PM

6,473 posts, read 4,001,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Wrong....

Muscle weighs more than fat by volume, because of it's density. That's been discussed and proven many times over. Here's one link.

"Muscle weighs more than fat because it's denser, said Joel Seedman, Ph.D., neuromuscular physiologist and owner of Advanced Human Performance in Suwanee, Ga. If you hold a fistful of muscle, it will weigh more than a fistful of fat because you technically have more compact tissue in your hand."

https://www.health.com/fitness/does-...0two%20tissues.
Pretty much this.

The "muscle weighs more than fat" thing (by volume, people forget to add) is for those people who are thinner and stronger but only whine because the number on the scale hasn't gone down (I knew someone like this once. She admitted she was reaching her goals-- stronger and thinner-- but was fixated on that stupid number on the scale. I wanted to go to her house and smash the scale so she'd knock it off).

Old 05-24-2023, 05:26 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,680,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Pretty much this.

The "muscle weighs more than fat" thing (by volume, people forget to add) is for those people who are thinner and stronger but only whine because the number on the scale hasn't gone down (I knew someone like this once. She admitted she was reaching her goals-- stronger and thinner-- but was fixated on that stupid number on the scale. I wanted to go to her house and smash the scale so she'd knock it off).
My wife does this as well.... She complained that I seemed to get thinner while she didn't see any decrease on the scale. She got rather upset about it, assuming that all of her efforts weren't paying off even though her clothes are getting loose.

So I got on the scale to show her. I weigh exactly the same now as I did 6 months ago but I've dropped 2 inches in my waist and gained almost an inch in my bicep (for example). So something is definitely happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness