Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 05:48 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times

Advertisements

Electrolytes in drinks are a scam people. You get more than enough if you eat a relatively healthy diet. They are already in things like bananas, nuts, dairy, fruits, vegetables, etc. But hey, if you want to throw down $3.99 for a sugary drink that will bloat you, knock yourselves out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 08:16 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
I think you'd be surprised how easily the average individual could find themselves needing to replenish their electrolytes.
I agree. I have found that they help a lot when I am sweating a lot in the gym or doing activities outside where I sweat a lot. I get dehydration migraines and even when I wake up with a headache (I’m a middle aged lady who sometimes sweats A LOT at night), the powder can help. I take Key Nutrients, which is a sugar free/keto friendly variety. I am not keto, but I don’t really need the sugar portion regardless.

I think people also underestimate how much water they need a lot of times. If you go on a hike in summer in FL, you probably need a few liters for a few hour hike, and the electrolytes will help there.

Old 06-23-2023, 11:49 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I agree. I have found that they help a lot when I am sweating a lot in the gym or doing activities outside where I sweat a lot. I get dehydration migraines and even when I wake up with a headache (I’m a middle aged lady who sometimes sweats A LOT at night), the powder can help. I take Key Nutrients, which is a sugar free/keto friendly variety. I am not keto, but I don’t really need the sugar portion regardless.

I think people also underestimate how much water they need a lot of times. If you go on a hike in summer in FL, you probably need a few liters for a few hour hike, and the electrolytes will help there.
I also agree. The idea that no one needs to replenish with an electrolyte drink is just as short-sighted as saying that everyone needs to replenish with an electrolyte mixture.

I am one such person who needs electrolyte drinks on a regular basis regardless of the fact that I eat a healthy, well-balanced diet.

I usually drink Gatorade; I buy the canister of powder and use 2 scoops + a lemon for 32 oz. of water. My nephrologist also said that one can also use a mixture of 16 oz. of water + 16 oz. of Gatorade plus a generous pinch of salt.

Old 06-23-2023, 12:27 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I also agree. The idea that no one needs to replenish with an electrolyte drink is just as short-sighted as saying that everyone needs to replenish with an electrolyte mixture.
Ridiculous. Sorry not sorry. How did people survive before Gatorade then? If there were all these electrolyte-deprived humans, how did they do it? Or is that the reason the average age of living was shorter back then, because Powerade didn't exist?

Old 06-23-2023, 03:44 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Ridiculous. Sorry not sorry. How did people survive before Gatorade then? If there were all these electrolyte-deprived humans, how did they do it? Or is that the reason the average age of living was shorter back then, because Powerade didn't exist?
People survive, but they may not feel well. I’d rather drink electrolytes than take ibuprofen or migraine medicine. I certainly didn’t die of dehydration before, but I felt lousy.

Old 06-23-2023, 03:58 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
People survive, but they may not feel well. I’d rather drink electrolytes than take ibuprofen or migraine medicine. I certainly didn’t die of dehydration before, but I felt lousy.
Exactly

It’s very easy to be cavalier about electrolytes when you don’t need them.

Old 06-24-2023, 06:15 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Well, we just like them. Our whole extended family drinks Ultima, usually with a dash of salt. We add a scoop to our water bottles when we're going to be out all day exercising or doing sports in the hot sun. No calories, tastes good, keeps us hydrated along with plain water.

Old 06-24-2023, 12:11 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,855,311 times
Well, if it has sugar, then kinda defeats the purpose, other than calories it is also not healthy.
If it has artificial sweeteners, then the new literature about them raises a lot of concern, except Stevia and that is also to be seen.
So, you need a drink only with electrolytes.
I watch tennis, and for the most part the pros (Novak, Rafa) are taking a bite of bananas and drinking some water. And that is at a 5 hour grand slam final. My one hour jogs are nowhere close to that intensity level.

Old 06-24-2023, 01:56 PM

6,093 posts, read 3,334,624 times
I think it is medically proven that electrolyte drinks are superior over water for hydration.

My preferred drink is an IQ hydration packet mixed into 16 ounces of water. I drink this every single morning. They are sugar free, keto friendly. They taste decent enough, considering that taste isn’t the reason you should be drinking it.

Now I will admit, they are pricy, as they run about $1.00 or so per packet. But how can you put a price on optimal health? In my opinion, they are worth it.

Old 06-24-2023, 02:44 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,532,523 times
I have type 2 diabetes and I urinate very frequently when my blood sugar is high. Drinking regular Gatorade just makes it worse because it has so much sugar in it. I'll drink Gatorade zero and I have a prescription for potassium and magnesium.

I forgot to add that yes I do like to eat bananas, but one time I had checked my fasting blood sugar and then I had half a banana and a glass of milk with my vitamins. And just having that little bit of food bumped my blood sugar up 95 points.

Last edited by _redbird_; 06-24-2023 at 04:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness