Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 02:02 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times

Advertisements

Any women here who have successfully whittled the waist? Specifically, the sides of the waist?

Over the years I've read conflicting reports about whether that can be done. Some say yes. Others say exercising the waist area increases those muscles, which enlarges the waist. I've observed many female athletes over the years...for the most part, they have thick waists. Some have a waist width that about equals their hip width visually from the front. OTOH, I've noticed that dancers, who certainly use their entire bodies, often have small waists.

I've also read that women's waists tend to enlarge as they age, due to loss of muscle. I'm in my 60s. My weight for my measurements is less than when I was in my 20s, but my waist is about an inch thicker.

Any thoughts on this? Health and increasing muscle are my first concerns, but if I could get an inch off my waist with a few exercises, I'd like to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 02:21 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Are you talking about your obliques ?

Old 06-09-2023, 11:23 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
How's your diet is the first question

Old 06-09-2023, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Are you talking about your obliques ?
I suppose those are the obliques. Not the abs, not the lower back. The sides. The obliques actually stretch from sides to front, so...not sure. When you bend at the waist to the side and touch your calf....that area where you bend. That is one of the exercises for sides of waist.

Old 06-10-2023, 06:59 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Exercises won't really do it. Almost everyone's waist thickens somewhat with advanced age. But I have noticed that those who eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly and moderately have better, more proportionate physiques. I have noticed this in myself as well. Eliminate sugars and processed foods, especially starches, and do regular exercise such as walking, dancing, biking etc. with a little bit of weight training. As you pointed out, the women who are heavy into weight training have less waist definition due to overall muscle. Dancing and walking are great exercises.

Old 06-11-2023, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I suppose those are the obliques. Not the abs, not the lower back. The sides. The obliques actually stretch from sides to front, so...not sure. When you bend at the waist to the side and touch your calf....that area where you bend. That is one of the exercises for sides of waist.
Yup..those are the obliques.

Here's a site I use with some exercises for the abs/obliques:

https://www.spotebi.com/exercise-gui...ues-exercises/

Old 06-11-2023, 06:59 AM

Thanks for all your responses. It doesn't appear that anyone who saw this post has successfully whittled the waist. I read lots of suggestions in various sources, but never have seen/read that someone has actually decreased the waist. So I'm guessing it can't be done, except for losing fat (which affects all areas of the body, but in some may come off the waist more than other areas).

The only thing I've seen where people can whittle the waist is a waist trainer. The results are temporary, not to mention uncomfortable. I'm not sure that's healthy, either...constricting the body that way.

I was just curious if someone had actually succeeded in doing that.

Old 06-11-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all your responses. It doesn't appear that anyone who saw this post has successfully whittled the waist. I read lots of suggestions in various sources, but never have seen/read that someone has actually decreased the waist. So I'm guessing it can't be done, except for losing fat (which affects all areas of the body, but in some may come off the waist more than other areas).

The only thing I've seen where people can whittle the waist is a waist trainer. The results are temporary, not to mention uncomfortable. I'm not sure that's healthy, either...constricting the body that way.

I think the best you can do is firm up those muscles which helps to avoid "muffin top" look.
If you overwork them though (body building type strength exercises with heavy weights) your waist can widen due to bigger muscle mass.

Old 06-11-2023, 09:58 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:

I think you're right, this requires losing fat.

Maybe look up exercises for reducing "love handles". Couldn't hurt to try these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness