Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 08:17 AM

502 posts, read 546,324 times

Advertisements

I've had labral tears but not incurred from the gym
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2023, 06:57 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,290,621 times
There are 2 main problems for why people end up with chronic rotator cuff issues:

1) Muscle imbalance - there are 4 muscles considered part of the rotator cuff and 2 of them act as external rotators. However most natural movements as well as lifting exercises (think chest press and pullups / rows) use the internal rotators. External rotator exercises are often ignored and these muscle get underdeveloped relatively.

2) Poor recovery for acute or overuse injuries - tendons in rotator cuff can get tendonitis or injured much like any other tendon in the body, and the medical community is very bad at communicating how to repair these.

Proper tendon rehab requires progressive overload of eccentric exercise of the injured muscle-tendon over the course of many months - and during the actual exercises the movement will feel moderately painful and potentially popping sounds (scar tissue breaking down). Most people won't do this or trust it is correct but it is. PTs aren't clear on this. Doctors would rather you get surgery for $$$.

I had a severe tear in my supraspinatus (rotator cuff) from a cycling crash that I literally could not lift my arm. 4 months later of smart, consistent rehab and I was at ~95% full recovered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness