Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 04:43 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I'm 41 and last week I worked out 6 days out the week. I'm noticing that my shoulder sockets are sore lately. I also have a knot in my left trap. I hear so many stories about people with shoulder injuries. Is this preventable or inevitable?

No, not inevitable.

People often do damage to rotator cuffs, shoulders and other parts after years of lifting incorrectly.

Improper BB and DB bench pressing, improper incline DB pressing, doing machine bench pressing and machine incline press in any way, upright rows for shoulder impingement, doing BB squats with strong Quads but lack of attention on the hams and glutes.

For many years this damage is being done but the pain does not appear until decades after.

Not saying this is you, but it's common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 07:05 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Shoulders do more than we give them credit for... You'll find that out when you injure them.

I think anyone who spends a lot of time in the gym will eventually injure their shoulder(s). I did that about 6 months ago while bench pressing with free weights. It was my last set and I just overdid it that day and should have stopped, but as I lifted the bar and moved it forward to bench position, I felt something in my left shoulder go twanggg. ~6 months later and my shoulders feel normal again, but I've given up most free weight training and do everything possible to maintain perfect form to avoid another injury. For us gym rats, it's a terrible feeling when you get injured and realize you have to cut back if not eliminate working out for a long period of time. That's no bueno! so I believe the answer is do everything possible to maintain perfect form, don't overdo it as you get older and be especially careful with free weights as you age.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:02 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
No, not inevitable.

People often do damage to rotator cuffs, shoulders and other parts after years of lifting incorrectly..
Single event injuries occasionally happen. It's also quite possible to injure the rotator cuff by not doing anything incorrectly.

Repetitive arm movements overhead are the culprit in this case.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:03 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Face pulls go a long way in preventing/correcting this issue, along with maintaining external rotation within your movements.
Besides sleeping incorrectly on my side, only upright rows using an overhand grip have caused me problems; as they force internal rotation. The solution was simply switching to an underhand grip, so thumbs face outwards.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:31 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Face pulls go a long way in preventing/correcting this issue, along with maintaining external rotation within your movements.
Besides sleeping incorrectly on my side...
What's the correct way of sleeping on your side?

Old 06-29-2023, 12:38 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
I am only now sleeping on my left side - the side with the labrum tear. The shoulder seems to slide forward, but not as much now that I have been steadily working the muscles as the PT directed. On the other hand, sleeping on the good side means the left side slides forward and I have to push it back. This video has a lot going on and perhaps it works, but frankly with all the pillows, I can't do it. (Especially with a cat sleeping next to my chest or on my shoulder watching me.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=2-hS6mo7x4k

Regarding face pulls, that is what I was injuring myself with. Perhaps I was doing them wrong, but my PT told me to steer clear and gave me other exercises to do.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:50 PM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
What's the correct way of sleeping on your side?

Hand under the pillow, on the side you are on; will help prevent extended internal rotation of the shoulder.
Re-training yourself to sleep on your back works wonders, but I found this to be an almost impossible task.
So I settled for an ergonomic pillow that is designed for both back and side.
The above vid has some good tips, problem is; I move around a lot...so difficult to keep pillows aligned at 3AM.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:21 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,017 times
The most high risk exercises in the gym are those involving the shoulder at the extreme vertical angle, when the elbow is to the side and above the top of the head.

Shoulder presses are the worst followed by inclined barbell and dumbbell, lat pulldowns behind the head.. It is kind of unbelievable the twisted knot of muscle, tendons, ligaments, and bursa the shoulder possesses. It's not about proper form, it is just a bad angle of attack for the body.

I have softball shoulders with striations and all I do are various angles of shoulder raises. Keeping that elbow at shoulder level is key.

I remember in high school my football coach and track coach had two different styles of training and thought processes. My football coach was a typical meathead and the track coach was an old guy that has seen it all. I remember my track coach being adamant no one will ever do shoulder presses or squats. Do ANY other exercise but those two particular ones.

For some reason or another that stuck with me from the beginning. Now I'd train with the football coach at the YMCA off season and it always kind of irked him I would never do squats. To paint a picture this guy was bodybuilder level and likely on the juice. It's all about form yada yada yada. To me however it never made sense to put that much pressure on two little bones of vertebrate. Long story short, a few years after HS he had a catastrophic back injury from squatting, lost most his muscle and has been hobbling into the gym ever since lifting baby weights.

Last edited by HansProof; 06-29-2023 at 07:29 PM..

Old 06-29-2023, 07:59 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I'm 41 and last week I worked out 6 days out the week. I'm noticing that my shoulder sockets are sore lately. I also have a knot in my left trap. I hear so many stories about people with shoulder injuries. Is this preventable or inevitable?
I'm 68, lift regularly, and have no rotator cuff injuries. I've had some shoulder pain in the past and I've been very careful with my shoulders for decades. This means no DB bench presses or chest flyes, only military presses on a machine with my palms facing, no upright rows, no kipping pull-ups, and avoiding too much range of motion on chest fly exercises on a machine.

I do no upper body warm-up exercises and don't do any rotator cuff exercises.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:07 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Most shoulder injuries and impingements in a gym come from improper technique. I might suggest very carefully re-evaluating HOW you perform your movements and doing some research on proper technique. I had a shoulder impingement for almost a year before figuring out that I was causing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness