Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:01 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Male 24
push ups at home, eleptical and (mostly machine) weightlifting (full body - legs/upper body seperate days) when in the gym. Could be the salt, but I eat relatively healthy aside from that. I rarely eat fried foods. I am somewhat of a vegetarian. I eat seafood and eggs only if you consider that meat. I don't drink soda or alcohol (if you consider that I drink each of them it 3 or 4 times a year). I drink water 90 percent of the time, but when I do drink juice after a work out like i said work out for that day goes to waste. It is pretty simple just don't do it I was just wondering why this may happen.
What exactly happens, though? What makes you think that you can "feel" whether a workout has been successful? What is it that you feel if you don't drink juice? What is it that the juice makes you not feel? How are you gauging whether your gym efforts are "undone"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 12:30 PM

943 posts, read 4,259,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
What exactly happens, though? What makes you think that you can "feel" whether a workout has been successful? What is it that you feel if you don't drink juice? What is it that the juice makes you not feel? How are you gauging whether your gym efforts are "undone"?
When I dont drink juice my body will stay tight for the rest of the day or if I did a lot of cardio i will feel lighter and weight loss will continue, but if I drink juice I will feel less springy, heavier and the scales wont go down if i am focusing on cardio (although losing weight is no major issue just proving the point). I don't think you guys believe me, but this is no coincidence. I have been working out since high school (football) and I can say I learned to keep track of my body and its patterns since I was about 20.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
When I dont drink juice my body will stay tight for the rest of the day or if I did a lot of cardio i will feel lighter and weight loss will continue, but if I drink juice I will feel less springy, heavier and the scales wont go down if i am focusing on cardio (although losing weight is no major issue just proving the point). I don't think you guys believe me, but this is no coincidence. I have been working out since high school (football) and I can say I learned to keep track of my body and its patterns since I was about 20.
Just what kind of weight loss do you see from one cardio session? Other than water depletion... how noticeable is it? I am certainly questioning what you are saying because it makes no sense to me: is there something that I'm missing? The "feel less springy" seems to reference either a mental association with juice or a sugar high/crash. I don't see how scales can accurately reflect anything after 1 cardio session.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Just what kind of weight loss do you see from one cardio session? Other than water depletion... how noticeable is it? I am certainly questioning what you are saying because it makes no sense to me: is there something that I'm missing? The "feel less springy" seems to reference either a mental association with juice or a sugar high/crash. I don't see how scales can accurately reflect anything after 1 cardio session.

I am not talking about one session. Lets say my weight was heading on a downward spiral after a month of consistent intense cardio work outs (increase in metabolism), that spiral would cease temporarily on a day I drink juice. Maybe somebody that works out intensely should cut off juice for a couple of weeks and stick to water and/or protein shakes. This might not be so general. You never know. With that said everyone's body is different, so it is not fair to say it does not make sense.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I am not talking about one session. Lets say my weight was heading on a downward spiral after a month of consistent intense cardio work outs (increase in metabolism), that spiral would cease temporarily on a day I drink juice. Maybe somebody that works out intensely should cut off juice for a couple of weeks and stick to water and/or protein shakes. This might not be so general. You never know. With that said everyone's body is different, so it is not fair to say it does not make sense.
If protein shakes, which contain sugar almost invariably, don't have this effect on you but juice does, I'm trying to figure out what the trigger would be. Your fat loss won't stop without a reason. I'm looking for the reason... and nothing in juice (if you drink a single juice drink) has the capacity, as far as I'm aware, to stop a fat loss cycle. Do you see where I'm coming from?

Old 07-08-2008, 05:11 PM

I got you. Don't know what to say. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:23 PM

38 posts, read 83,104 times
Sounds like you "plateaud"......htt://faculty.css.edu/tboone2/asep/Astrorin1.doc

Has great info. If you cannot get past this because it is a little technical.

Mix up your exercise. Not to be confused with "routine" in other words. Example.
Throw in a regular outdoors sports...like...kayak...or bicycle...hike....besides the days 2X in the gym.....

Old 07-18-2008, 04:28 PM

622 posts, read 3,113,157 times
I'll also go with the "sugar high/crash" theory. Nothing else I can think of.

Oh yeah, juice has calories too. Water doesn't. But.... hmmm, I don't know if that will do it.

Maybe you have some kind of really acute response to sugars in juice. Some people do crash like that.

Just guessing at this point. good luck with it. Personally, I'd avoid anything that doesn't agree with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness