Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 04:40 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times

Advertisements

I am training for the NYC marathon, second year! Last year I did not fair well because of many issues... this year I want to run across the finish line instead of limping!

My main question is my hands and feet swelled incredibly while running. I could never figure out why. I have done a half marathon since with no problems, but am nervous about this happening again..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:34 AM

689 posts, read 2,583,002 times
Training for my first half marathon in October. Don't know about the hand and foot swelling thing. I have heard that your feet will swell but not about the hands. Maybe after every mile put your hands on the top of your head for a minute or so to get the blood flowing in the other direction.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:05 PM

938 posts, read 3,507,812 times
I'm starting training for a full in August (the face is in February). I did a half last February, can't wait to do a full.

How hard was it to get a spot in the New York Marathon? I think it would be an awesome race to run in, but I hear its hard to get a spot. I'm not fast enough, nor will I ever be, to qualify for it based on my speed in other races alone (I did the half in less than 2 hours, hopefully my full will be less than 4). If my full goes well in 09 I'll probably apply for it though!

Old 07-28-2008, 01:38 PM

26 posts, read 75,632 times
I've run two marathons in Denver. The first year was great, no problems, ran a 3:29. Second year, I limped to a 4:07 amid thirty degree weather and sleet.

For swelling, you should just plan on stopping every five miles or so and give yourself a quick massage of your muscles. Also, does this happen on your long training runs? If not, then it could just have been a one-time thing that you don't need to worry about anymore. During both my marathons I didn't experience any swelling during the race but immediately after my calves swelled more than 2".

The New York Marathon is really hard to get into - but not impossible. If you apply early enough you should have a decent shot.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:11 PM

Interesting, it could have been a one time thing. I read something about salt, or lack of salt causing this. I'll have to read up on it.

I have applied for the NYC marathon twice, and didn't get in either time. You can however apply to be on one of the fundraising teams, and get a spot. That is how I have done both years.

Most of my friends did the same thing. I have only known one person out of about twenty that got in without doing fundraising. Or you can apply every year, after three years if you don't get in, you automatically get a spot.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:20 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,865 times
I read this the othe day, he mentions swollen wrists from pumping arms....

Haruki Murakami: Nobody pounded the table anymore, nobody threw their cups | Sport | The Observer

"I gave up on my disobedient legs and started focusing on my upper body. I swung my arms wide as I ran, making my upper body swing, transmitting the momentum to my lower body. Using that momentum, I was able to push my legs forward (after the race, though, my wrists were swollen)."

Old 07-28-2008, 06:26 PM

Thanks SD, what a read. I cannot imagine running that long....impressive.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:39 AM

333 posts, read 999,696 times
Hi... I've run a couple of Marine Corp marathons. Not sure what to tell you about your hands and feet swelling other than visiting a sports doctor.

When is the NYC marathon?

Old 07-29-2008, 09:43 AM

41,975 posts, read 75,239,807 times
I've never run a marathon but have walked a couple of full and half marathons. It's been awhile and I've grown lax, but I'd like to give them another whirl.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:47 PM

938 posts, read 3,507,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Interesting, it could have been a one time thing. I read something about salt, or lack of salt causing this. I'll have to read up on it.

I have applied for the NYC marathon twice, and didn't get in either time. You can however apply to be on one of the fundraising teams, and get a spot. That is how I have done both years.

Most of my friends did the same thing. I have only known one person out of about twenty that got in without doing fundraising. Or you can apply every year, after three years if you don't get in, you automatically get a spot.
I may look into a fundraising team. Of course I live a long ways from NYC, but I read somewhere your chances of getting in are a little higher if you are from outside the area. I ran the half in 1:57 (only really trained for 6 weeks, but I had been running for a few years). I want do to the full in less than 4 hours but the Austin Marathon is pretty hilly, along with the half for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness