Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 03:41 PM

63 posts, read 95,906 times

Advertisements

in 1 hour? I tried and the most I can is 5.8 on treadmill. I heard of professional boxers being able to jog 1 mile in 6 mins but the fastest I am able to do it is in 9 mins. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 04:24 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
You can do speed training on a track to strengthen the muscles. Also hill running makes you stronger. Treadmill running in general is pretty easy.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:34 PM

532 posts, read 1,567,650 times
Yea, when I get on a treadmill, I can just focus in on the poster in front of me and count all the colors, identify all the shapes, count the cracks in the wall, etc, and theres no wind resistance, no ground texture changes, no elevation changes, nothing throwing off your rhythm. I guess to pick up your speeds it'd be best to start with the basics. Get your nutrition straight, and get out there and log miles. Learn how to redline, what the highest speed you can maintain for a while is. Once everything is in order then with determination you can get the times down. Are you saying you maintain a 9 minute mile for an hour? Thats really not bad, if thats the case, just work on finding that redline and bringing it up slowly.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
Yea, when I get on a treadmill, I can just focus in on the poster in front of me and count all the colors, identify all the shapes, count the cracks in the wall, etc, and theres no wind resistance, no ground texture changes, no elevation changes, nothing throwing off your rhythm. I guess to pick up your speeds it'd be best to start with the basics. Get your nutrition straight, and get out there and log miles. Learn how to redline, what the highest speed you can maintain for a while is. Once everything is in order then with determination you can get the times down. Are you saying you maintain a 9 minute mile for an hour? Thats really not bad, if thats the case, just work on finding that redline and bringing it up slowly.
No, 9 minute mile for 1 hour is the fastest. I begin by walking 4 minutes for a warm up-- speed ranges from 3.2-3.5. Then I start jogging from 5.1 and finish to 7.1 for 16 mins and back to 4 minute walking.

48 minutes of nonstop jogging
and
12 minutes of waking

Old 08-21-2009, 12:02 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusX View Post
in 1 hour? I tried and the most I can is 5.8 on treadmill. I heard of professional boxers being able to jog 1 mile in 6 mins but the fastest I am able to do it is in 9 mins. Any advice?
1 mile in 6 mins? Pfffft.....

world record for the mile was set by Hicham el Guerrouj in 1999:

1 mile in 3:43.13

check it out:

YouTube - Hicham el Guerrouj World Record Mile 3:43.13 Rome 1999

Old 08-21-2009, 12:12 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,112,694 times
Yep.

You need speed-work once you have your base.

BTW--By the time you are clocking 6-minute miles, you are no longer jogging, but running.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:47 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,197,793 times
I can jog approximately 8.5 miles per hour. I jog outside and on the treadmill. I like jogging on the treadmill because it's much easier on your joints. And, thinking long-term, it's better for you. When I am jogging really fast (i.e., especially above speed level 9.5 mph), I actually find it more difficult to jog on the treadmill than outside. That is because the space that you are jogging in is confined on the treadmill. You do not have that same level of confinement when you jog outside. Plus, when you are jogging really fast on the treadmill, you have to concentrate a lot harder than you do if you are jogging that same speed outside. Again, because of the level of confinement on the treadmill, it is much easier to fall off of it if you do not concentrate.

As for working on developing your speed, it is possible to develop that on the treadmill. You can work on it in short spurts. That is, increase your speed by .5 mph for 30 mins and see how you feel. Do that for a while and then slowly work up to doing that for 1 hr. After you are comfortable with that, you can increase the speed again by .5 mph and try that for 30 mins, etc.

I think it's best to develop speed slowly. That way, you can build stamina while you are working on your speed.

Last edited by davey123; 08-21-2009 at 05:10 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 04:12 PM

32 posts, read 11,561 times
if i jog more than one mile i would drop dead

Old 08-21-2009, 04:48 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusX View Post
Yes, I can, and not on a treadmill either, but outside on real terrain. I am a 47 yr old female and I regularly do 9-minute miles when I'm not trying to rush things.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:06 PM

Okay, I think the reason why I can't jog as much as you guys (8 miles etc...) is cause I DO NOT like to run, only jog. 5-7 mph is jogging speed for me. I am NOT going to run 9 mph, that would suck. I sometimes do it up to 8mph in order to get as much miles as I can and it sucks. It's called jogging, not running. You guys cheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness