Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:10 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times

Advertisements

I'd like to put on more weight but I don't want to use those powder proteins(shake mix)...........

If decide to use them, what are some of the long term causes?

cr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 03:42 PM

622 posts, read 3,113,157 times
Ouch. I typed out a long reply and it got deleted.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I've been drinking shakes for 10-20 years with no problems (that I know of) lol.

Go to proteinfactory.com and take a look around. You can mix any blend of shake you choose and the % you choose. They have egg, milk, etc... Many different choices and sweeteners if you like. Maybe you can find something you are comfortable with if you choose to start drinking shakes. good luck.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:31 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,984 times
I'm not aware of any long-term causes, but if you start drinking shakes, make sure you are doing enough physical activity to actually use the extra calories. Some people say protein shakes can make you "fat", which they can if used improperly. I mix mine with a banana and 8 ounces of milk, which comes out to be around 500 calories! As a result, I only drink them on days where I actually work out. If the protein shake adds enough calories to a diet to put you over what you burn in a day (and what you need to build muscle), you'll gain fat.

I had a hard time building muscle until I started drinking the shakes. I really don't eat a lot of meat, and as a result I had insufficient protein to really build muscle. Drinking protein shakes really helped out.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:37 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
Long - Term protein consumption can result in kidney issues......

Old 11-10-2008, 06:31 PM

I knew you'd come through for a brotha......tell your hubby I said he's a lucky guy!

I kinda thought that.

Thanks Lola.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post

Old 11-10-2008, 06:33 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I knew you'd come through for a brotha......tell your hubby I said he's a lucky guy!

I kinda thought that.

Thanks Lola.
anytime sweetie

Old 11-10-2008, 08:30 PM

622 posts, read 3,113,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Let's think about this statement for a moment. Every living human who 'eats' has been doing "long term protein consumption". Am I misssing something here?

Is it long term 'HIGH' protein consumption? Yes, high protein consumption can cause kidney issues. So is this "protein" that is causing issues, contained in a shake or just 'protein' from any source?

High protein from any source can cause kidney issues. So what about the original question? Is the 'source' of protein safe or not? The source in question is protein shakes.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:13 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
I honestly couldn't tell you about the long-term causes. In fact, I think that you would have to tell me what your causes were.

As far as the long-term EFFECTS, apart from gassiness I doubt that you will experience anything. You can have kidney issues from improperly ingesting creatine supplements, but not protein powders. This is basically whey (milk), egg or soy protein, all of which are entirely inert in your body. Since protein powders are short on fiber and high on calories, you will find yourself with terrible gas and loose stools if you aren't eating balanced meals in addition to the protein powders, but you can live with that. For the rest of your life if you so choose.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:43 PM

146 posts, read 437,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
Some people say protein shakes can make you "fat", which they can if used improperly.If the protein shake adds enough calories to a diet to put you over what you burn in a day (and what you need to build muscle), you'll gain fat. .

Protien shakes making you fat? HA ...dont believe that. Its a supplement, not a T-Bone

Old 11-11-2008, 04:47 AM

Here is what I hane been reading:

There is a contradiction between the various fitness experts regarding the adverse effects of the whey protein. Different experts have different opinions. But there is no strong proof regarding the side effects of the whey protein. Still some of the side effects can exist. These can include:

Allergic Infections: Whey protein is obtained from the cow's milk which is very rich in lactose. So people suffering from lactose intolerancy can suffer from allergic infections.

Kidney Problems: If this protein is taken for a very long duration it can cause kidney disorders.

Liver Problems: In some cases the whey protein is found to be responsible for the liver damage.

Osteoporosis: The long term intake of whey protein can also result in osteoporosis in which the body joints are badly affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
in fact, i think that you would have to tell me what your causes were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness