Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:03 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,332,701 times

Advertisements

I'm 27, have been running on/off for about 6 years. Nothing too serious. Never more than 3 miles, 3 times a week. I've started playing tennis a few times a week (probably where the problem is coming from).
I stretch, and all that good stuff.

My knees hurt constantly. It's the front of my knee that hurts, right under my knee caps. It's kinda like a throbing pain. No swelling, redness, or heat.

They hurt horribly. I was at the grocery store and had to sit down they hurt so bad. Walking and standing are causing the pain.

It's not constant, only after 2 or more hours of walking/standing.

When I bend them, I feel instant relief. I was at a concert the other night, standing room only, and thought I was going to fall over from the pain. I ended up kneeling on the floor for a few minutes, and the pain was gone, until I stood up again?

Any ideas? Any particular knee braces I could try?

I can't stop running, it's a requirement for work. I've done a two week tennis hiatus, and that wasn't much help.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 12:06 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
Does it click or anything?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:10 PM

714 posts, read 2,307,339 times
Any grinding?

I have similar pain, it has been diagnosed as chrondomalacia. It's manageable. I would get it checked out ASAP, especially since you need your knees for work!

Old 11-18-2008, 12:10 PM

Pitt
Thanks for the quick response, there is no clicking. My knees don't even pop... you know, like you pop your knuckels..

I've been searching the internet, and most sites describe runners knee as pain behind the knee, or on the side. My is direcly in the front, middle. Like if I were stick my fingers under my kneecap.

It's more throbbing. Hurts right now because I'm thinking about it.. haha

Old 11-18-2008, 12:23 PM

Diertac,
Thank you too! We must have been posting at the same time, I didn't see yours! I don't know if I could call it "grinding" but maybe slight slight slight rubbing. I'll probably just have to go to the doctor- blah

Old 11-18-2008, 12:35 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
Try this exercise to see if it works:

-sit on a chair and slowly raise your leg out strait and slowly let it down. Pay attention to keep its strait. Start with a set of 10 and add 10 every week till you feel a difference. For me 50 does it fine every other day.

What I am thinking is that you twisted it with tennis or over stretched it too hard before tennis and made you prone to injury. You should talk to a sports med doctor so he can show you how to stretch correctly. Avoid running on hills for now and take a couple days off to let the swelling go down.
You may want to ask about shoes too. You should get new shoes every 300 miles. Do you?

Do go to the doctor and I know I am saying it again but the correct diagnosis in time will save you from further injury and you dont want to jack up your knees. They are hard to work on (surgery) and take a long time to heal.(joint damage can take up to 4 years)

A link to injuries:
Running Injury - Common Injuries in Runners

Could be bone spurs or calcium deposts that need to be removed too. So go to the doc before it gets worse.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:43 PM

Thanks, I will.
I'm pretty religious about my shoes. I think it's the starting/stopping in tennis. They didn't do this before I started playing tennis. I was stupid when I went from not playing since high school to playing for up to 3 hours as many times as 3-4 a week. I forget that 26 isn't old, but it's older than I was in high school when nothing hurt!

I think it might be patellar tendonitis... but I'll get a doctor to confirm this... of everything I've read that sounds the most like what I'm feeling.
It is in both knees... which seems weird to me... Both joints or tendons would start acting up at the same time. I don't know. It's driving me crazy though.

I'm going to have to call my Tennis partner and cancel for tonight

Old 11-18-2008, 12:47 PM

714 posts, read 2,307,339 times
The sudden stopping will kill your knees. Good luck! I started having knee problems when I was figure skating and when I went to the doctor he said, "Well how good of a figure skater are you?" His oh so polite way of telling me I was done with my hobby. (I wasn't that good anyway!)

Knee issues are usually very manageable though so long as you stay on top of them.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:27 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,919,305 times
The exercise Pitt_Transplant suggested sounds good because it is a quadriceps exercise. It's possible that if you run and do little else you may create a muscle imbalance by using the backs of the legs to push off with each step more than you use the quads. In any case, having strong quads will help with the stability of the entire leg, which helps keep the knees in line. You might try doing some reps of that exercise with the quads clenched tightly as you raise your leg. This is a light quad exercise, and at some point you might want to progress to weight-lifting exercises for the quads. However, you should see a doctor about this knee issue, and also make it a point not to do any really strenuous strengthening exercises--such as using weights--while injured, without getting a doctor's okay.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:30 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,919,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
The sudden stopping will kill your knees. Good luck! I started having knee problems when I was figure skating and when I went to the doctor he said, "Well how good of a figure skater are you?" His oh so polite way of telling me I was done with my hobby. (I wasn't that good anyway!)

Knee issues are usually very manageable though so long as you stay on top of them.
LOL, about the doctor's subtle suggestion to give up skating. Wonder what he would have said if your answer had been something like, "Well, I'm not saying I'm brilliant, but people have been known to call me Sasha."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness