Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:22 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times

Advertisements

For the guys, how do you get your pecs to even out? My left pec is smaller than my right. Should i lift a heavier dumbell with my left and lighter one on the right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 10:38 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Lay off the "self help" stuff for a while. Or at least switch to the other side, thats the main cause of poor symmetry in muscle development in men.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:26 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
LOL, you gotta be kidding me. I guess if you do it with one hand... seems to be the norm, can't say I understand that or ever have, but whatever.

I've never had any problems with muscular imbalance, but I've had difficulties with of course dexterity imbalance. I'm left-legged and in martial arts heavily favor my left foot for any sparring moves, and if someone knows that it's easy to make me have to use my worse side. I practice twice as hard with my right leg to compensate but it doesn't seem to matter much, it's always lagging behind.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:26 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,912,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
For the guys, how do you get your pecs to even out? My left pec is smaller than my right. Should i lift a heavier dumbell with my left and lighter one on the right?
Could be genetics?? But we can Defy Genetics through Determination!...lol..so ..the big pec is the stronger one and the small pec is the weeker one....with that in mind, It can be OVERTRAINED! preventing growth..Try actually the opposite..Hard lifts and MORE rest than the big one...Remember MUSCLES GROWTH IS AT REST ! working them harder can lead to tail chasing. You can try both ways for 2 months to monitor results...good luck!

Old 11-22-2008, 04:41 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
hmmm....mine are pretty even hahahahaha

Old 11-22-2008, 05:29 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
hmmm....mine are pretty even hahahahaha
Oh really? Well I'll have to feel them myself to make sure of that. Standard procedure.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:37 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Men have breast tissue too that can throw it off. There is plastic surgery for that and its rather cheap.
Fat or thin a man can have/devleop breast tissue. If you check it out you will see pics of guys who obviously workout and are fit but needed to have a reduction done.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:49 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Oh really? Well I'll have to feel them myself to make sure of that. Standard procedure.
hahaha....you couldn't handle me

Old 11-23-2008, 11:15 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,200 times
Realistically, dumbbells are the key to most muscle imbalances. I've never heard of this with pecs, but its pretty common on arm work. For most people, if they are right handed, the right arm is a bit stronger. To combat this, you use dumbells, and END the exercise when the weak side fails. In other words, even if you could squeeze out a few more reps on your strong side, you don't unless the weak side can do so as well. Not sure how this idea translates to pecs though. You are already using dumbbells, which is good.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:18 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch View Post
To combat this, you use dumbells, and END the exercise when the weak side fails. In other words, even if you could squeeze out a few more reps on your strong side, you don't unless the weak side can do so as well. Not sure how this idea translates to pecs though. You are already using dumbbells, which is good.
This is actually a very good idea. OP, maybe you can try working out at your gym on the HammerStrength ISO equipment to remedy this. When you fail in your sets, you can just stop there, or try to do one last set with just the weak side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness