Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 AM

314 posts, read 1,277,966 times

Advertisements

running for 30 minutes (9-10 minute miles)
or
weight lifting for 30 minutes (high rep-low weight)

I am usually a runner, but my knees are giving out...thinking of going to weightlifting to save my knees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 07:48 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadgrad View Post
or

I am usually a runner, but my knees are giving out...thinking of going to weightlifting to save my knees.
Running for 30 minutes definitly burns calories....you will burn more calories in 30 minutes of running than you will in 30 minutes of weight lifting however, cardio sheds body fat/calories ONLY while you are physically doing the cardio. Lifting weights, although caloric loss isn't as great as cardio, increases muscle which burns more calories consistently even when you aren't working out. It is very important to use a combination of weight training and cardio. Have you tried the eliptical? It's much easier on your knees and gives you all of the benefits of running.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:03 AM

I was thinking something like eliptical as well at a gym. I'll miss the fun of running and exploring neighborhoods, I just dont think my knees can do it.

Maybe if i strenth train my legs it'll help a little...

Old 12-30-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I was thinking something like eliptical as well at a gym. I'll miss the fun of running and exploring neighborhoods, I just dont think my knees can do it.

that could be. Running is pretty tough on your joints though. I have an eliptical at home so I use that 99 percent of the time however, if i'm away from home and I need to do cardio i'll run but I try to limit my actual running on pavement in an effort to preserve my knees .

Old 12-30-2008, 08:17 AM

thanks for the replies! I think eliptical could be a good comprimise for me...

Old 12-30-2008, 09:09 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
thanks for the replies! I think eliptical could be a good comprimise for me...
I have the same problem with my knees. I seem to be able to tolerate the stationary bike fairly well and I think it delivers more impact than the elliptical trainer. If you are so inclined, you may want to look into spinning classes at your gym. That will burn calories. Rowing is fun, too.

You can turn weight lifting into a calorie burning session by doing circuits. The way I have done this is probably a bit unorthodox, but something like this:

1 set of 10 major muscle group (e.g. bench press)
rest for no more than thirty seconds
1 set of 10 periferal muscle group (e.g. lat pulls)
1 set of 10 major/secondary muscle group (e.g. incline press/shoulder press)
1 set of 10 periferal muscle group (e.g. preacher curls)

Increase weight, repeat sequence at 8 reps

Increase weight, repeat sequence at 6 reps (should be failing at 5 1/2)

Then do your supersets (e.g. light cable tricep push-downs to failure, light dumbell curls to failure, light dumbell shoulders to failure, dips to failure)

At this point you should feel like you just ran a few miles, about 20 minutes have elapsed, and you will be so pumped you can't touch the back of your neck and you will have trouble lifting your car keys to the ignition. Don't forget to stretch afterwards.

Plan the workout in advance and stick to the plan. Change up your muscle groups, weights and sets.

Enjoy.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Depending on the nature of your knee issues, weight training probably isn't the best idea. I tore up my cartiledge through years of heavy squats, power cleans, nautilus machines, etc. etc.

If you are having joint pain, that joint probably shouldn't be doing anything but body weight exercises like lunges. Bear in mind that any joint pain during an exercise should be a hint to discontinue that exercise. Probably forever.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
Quote:
or

Running burns calories fast, but very brisk walking is not far behind in efficacy but is kinder on your knees.

Walking fast is great exercise - it gets you out in the fresh air/neighborhood and if you do the same distance then you will burn almost the same calories as on a run, it will just take a little longer. You could take some hand-held wieghts with you to pump arms as you walk...

Do the weight-training as well, just careful on the knees

Old 12-30-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I have the same problem with my knees. I seem to be able to tolerate the stationary bike fairly well and I think it delivers more impact than the elliptical trainer. If you are so inclined, you may want to look into spinning classes at your gym. That will burn calories. Rowing is fun, too.

You can turn weight lifting into a calorie burning session by doing circuits. The way I have done this is probably a bit unorthodox, but something like this:

1 set of 10 major muscle group (e.g. bench press)
1 set of 10 periferal muscle group (e.g. lat pulls)
1 set of 10 major/secondary muscle group (e.g. incline press/shoulder press)
1 set of 10 periferal muscle group (e.g. preacher curls)

Increase weight, repeat sequence at 8 reps

Increase weight, repeat sequence at 6 reps (should be failing at 5 1/2)

Then do your supersets (e.g. light cable tricep push-downs to failure, light dumbell curls to failure, light dumbell shoulders to failure, dips to failure)

At this point you should feel like you just ran a few miles, about 20 minutes have elapsed, and you will be so pumped you can't touch the back of your neck and you will have trouble lifting your car keys to the ignition. Don't forget to stretch afterwards.

Plan the workout in advance and stick to the plan. Change up your muscle groups, weights and sets.

Enjoy.

that's sort of similar to a cross-fit program....I wouldn't discourage working out the legs though....there are excersizes that will help support the knees when strengthened such as calf raises and leg extensions.....Of course she obviously won't want to be doing lunges when her knees are bad but ignoring her legs completley could be a mistake.....this is why I always recomend a doctors visit before begining any regiment especially when there are existing problems.

Water aerobics/weight training could also be a great step in rehabing your knees.....

Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
that's sort of similar to a cross-fit program....I wouldn't discourage working out the legs though....there are excersizes that will help support the knees when strengthened such as calf raises and leg extensions.....Of course she obviously won't want to be doing lunges when her knees are bad but ignoring her legs completley could be a mistake.....this is why I always recomend a doctors visit before begining any regiment especially when there are existing problems.

Water aerobics/weight training could also be a great step in rehabing your knees.....
I hope I didn't come across as advocating ignoring legs altogether. I just think that weight loading an injured or debilitated joint can be very bad. Also, exercises that isolate the big thigh muscle groups (like quad extensions and hamstring curls) can be extremely hard on your knees. That's unnatural load distribution and it encourages unnatural wear patterns. I'll see if I can scan an image of my knee MRI and post it here to illustrate how bad that can be.

Cycling hard is a great lower body exercise that gets every muscle group and doesn't subject your knees to forces they are not designed to tolerate. If you look at seasoned spinners legs, they aren't exactly undeveloped.

Totally agree about water training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness