Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:51 AM

48 posts, read 414,096 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone out there who is interested in talking about eating right and exercising...especially walking ( could be interesting to find out where people live that supports walking) ie: sidewalks/parks/walking clubs...notice I did not say the word Diet!!!.....there is no such word in my vocab...I figure if you eat more fruits/veggies than anything else and want a cookie or 2 or 3......then what's to stress about!?........just wondering if someone else wants to motivate/encourage us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 10:49 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,330 times
I try to do my three servings of fruit and three of vegetables every day. Plus lots of walking! Since I live in Manhattan, it's always a pleasure to walk for the sake of it. Just a nice stroll on the streets of New York. I also ride my bike.

It's not dieting, as you say. It's just health consciousness. If more Americans did it, we wouldn't be the fattest nation on Planet Earth!

Old 03-21-2007, 11:31 AM

585 posts, read 2,222,789 times
I've managed to loose about 30lbs just by eating less/better and exercise. Granted, my exercise is more rigorous than walking but it allows me to still drink beer and have a that occasional side of fries or slice of pie.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:31 PM

I can't wait until all of the snow melts! Last Spring and summer I walked 6 miles a day along the Tommahannock Reservoir.......absolutely beautiful!..I would walk in the village but the people there look out their windows, stare from their porches at the least bit of movement ...but at least I have the reservoir! There are no sidewalks where I live and you have to drive your car in order to find them!

Old 03-21-2007, 12:34 PM

Congrats for doing what your'e doing....I have read/heard that Manhatinites are the fittest people because of all of the walking....and as for losing 30lbs...........thAt's fantastic! I'm on my way there!

Old 03-21-2007, 01:57 PM

62 posts, read 329,939 times
I also want to walk to lose...but where I am on LI my neighborhood has no sidewalks, and people drive like maniacs and we are very close to 2 major roadways. I have 2 small children and I would take them with me, except there are not many walking trails you can find that you would not have to drive at least 25 minutes to find...it is sad...I think I'd walk more if I knew I had sidewalks and was not surrounded by 2 main roadways....hopefully I can find a place soon!

Old 03-21-2007, 02:27 PM

585 posts, read 2,222,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2kids View Post
....and as for losing 30lbs...........thAt's fantastic! I'm on my way there!
Oh, I forgot to mention that it took 2 years for me to loose the 30 lbs.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:06 PM

Default no sidewalks...main highway near by

That's exactly what I mean....I think that if communities thought more about adding simple changes people would be able to get out more....blah blah...We live next to a major highway as well...so I drive 10 miles out of my way to walk 6.....go figure

Old 03-21-2007, 07:48 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,002 times
Default ah, eating!

Oh, I love the subject of eating (and health too, of course)!
First I think you have to make eating (what you eat, how you eat, who you eat....oh, I mean who you eat with!) one of the most important things in your life. Think about it- there is so much unnecessary consumer junk that we're all constantly being told we need, need, need, we've got to have- all this stuff that keeps us running on the big treadmill of more, more, more, faster, faster, faster, and ultimately only filling the world with so much...stuff. Well, eating is something we HAVE to do- its one of the few 'consumerist' things that we can and should embrace and get enthusiastic about! Of course by that I don't mean wantonly eat any and all things that cross our paths... I mean give this activity the attention and passion and time it deserves! Make meals the most important parts of your day (and that of your family's), not just something quickly grabbed and scarfed down, but something you sit down and enjoy. The more real pleasure you take in eating, the more conscious you become of what you're eating and how you're eating, and then you get more pleasure, and so on.

But to get back on track-
Start with these two great books: What to Eat by Marion Nestle and Real Food by Nina Planck. They both put it all in brilliant perspective and (particularly What to Eat) will change the way you make your way through the supermarket. Both of these books will go a long way in helping you develop your own dietary 'intuition' and build your independence from food marketing. (and to keep this NY relevant- Nestle teaches at NYU and spends a lot of time around Ithaca and Planck ran the NYC Greenmarkets for a while)
I'm not big on cook books, but I did get one from the library recently that is great- actually its less of a "cookbook" in terms of recipes, and more of a general 'how to cook' kind of book. I tend to just wing it and make stuff up, while my significant other usually follows recipes- our 'success rate' I'd say is about equal. Oh, the book. Appetite by Nigel Slater. Michael Pollan's books are also great food/health related reading.
Another thing to do is join a CSA (community supported agriculture), also often called a 'farm share.' There are loads of them in NY state. You subscribe at the beginning of the season, usually in May sometime, and once a week until November you get a load of locally grown produce. You're eating fresh and in season (and usually organic), and it kind of 'forces' you to eat stuff you might not otherwise. There's a bit of a mystery as to exactly what you'll get each week, which is a little fun. One place to go to find out more is- http://www.localharvest.org/
OK, here is the absolute hardest one, but I really, really believe it might be the most important thing you can do for yourself and your family if you want to eat healthily (as well as have more time to exercise, etc.)- get rid of your TV. Instead of sitting in front of the television, make eating dinner the centerpiece of every evening- the preparing, the eating, the talking, the cleaning up afterward. Its hard at first if you're not used to cooking every night- you know, you come home from work, you're tired.... But if you stick to it and make it a habit it can easily become the best part of every day. The funny thing is that the longer you do it, the more likely you are to be disappointed when you do go out to eat, etc. You find yourself thinking, "I'm paying WHAT for this? We make better stuff every night at home! Heck, I don't even know what's in this stuff they're serving us!" Still, it is fun to go out...... But really, I can't think of anything that may be better for a family's health than getting rid of the TV (maybe splurge and buy a projector that hooks up to your computer and use that to watch DVDs on). You'll also be protecting your kids, however slightly, from the barrage of advertizing pointedly directed at them. Yeah, it's probably the hardest thing to even consider though, getting rid of the TV...

The exercise thing is a tough one, and I feel so bad for people 'trapped' in the suburbs where you have to get in your car to do just about anything. Do your best to find a good route to walk. Walking the same one or two routes all year is amazing- you really get a feel for the changes in nature going on around you. And walking is just generally good for one's well-being (better than pumping up and down on some contraption in a 'climate controlled' flourescent-lit workout room!). I think it was Andre Malroux or somebody who said he'd "never encountered a problem he couldn't 'walk' his way out of." Also, if you have enough of a yard, consider a garden- two birds with one stone- healthy food AND exercise! Another interesting book I came across recently is called Edible Forest Gardening, by Dave Jacke. A little dry sometimes, but it's pretty much about planting suburban yards for maximum food yield and minimal overall effort (hmm, which kind of negates the exercise part......).

Oh, and back to the eating thing... get the kids involved in food and preparing meals as soon as they show the slightest interest! One of many, many great things I remember about when I was a kid is my brother, sister and I 'helping' my mother in the kitchen all the time. But one of the best things was that maybe once a year- I think it was about when she decided the cabinets needed a purge and the kitchen needed a good cleaning- she'd let us loose in the kitchen to try ANYTHING! Any spice, any ingredient, and any weird thing way in the back of the cupboard. Taste, sift, mix, combine in whatever way we thought we might like to try with whatever tools. Of course the final results were truly disgusting and I don't think anything ever made it to the oven, but it was so much fun and we got to learn a lot about what things taste like individually, and what might go together (or NOT!), as well as what all the various kitchen tools could do (I think almost everything we had was manual then, so it was safe). Then we all 'helped' clean up the disaster area.

But good luck! Look at it all as fun, because it should be. And after all that typing I'M HUNGRY!

Old 03-22-2007, 06:22 AM

thanks for the list of books...I will check them out! My girls (6 & 10) are very active involved in sports, but will not walk with me!!!... I don't expect them to walk 6 miles...just 2 or so. Between me and my husband, we work 4 jobs...believe it or not, one of us is always home with the girls...we may be propped up against a wall drooling and with one eye open....just kidding: They eat very healthy foods..people don't know how I do it...I do have snacks in the house but if they really want chips, candy etc they have to eat a serving of fruit first. After that, the amount of junk they originally wanted drops to nearly nothing because they are already full. They will eat any veggie that's put in front of them so, we are following a healthy lifestyle. I think that they key to this is when they were toddlers they recieved way more veggies that meat so they developed a strong liking to them and I made their baby food myself.
But alas...mom needs to get in better shape. I do get quite a workout between my two jobs...I am a residential counselor and I work at my girl's school. I cannot get rid of my belly!!!! (Hate sit-ups) Today is going to be beautiful...in the 50's...I will take them and my puppy for a nice walk...oh, another bribe I use with them is that we will not stop at the playground untill they walk at least three times around the village....tiny village....nosy people....lots of dogs......but at least I get something out of it! I am planning a library trip soon and will look for the books you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness