Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is obesity a disease?
Yes 4 22.22%
No 14 77.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:52 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times

Advertisements

Do you think obesity is a disease?

To me its sticking a "medical" word to being excessively overweight and not a disease.

Obesity is almost choice in my opinion. People everyday work to lose weight and are successful. If you are too lazy do not exercise and do not want to help yourself then you will gain weight...its just the facts. Eat fast food and other bad foods a lot and not in moderation or lightly you will gain weight. If you think drinking the diet coke with your big mac and fries is being healthy you are sorely mistaken.

No one ever said it wasn't hard to lose weight. But in the end barring any medical conditions that may have caused it, YOU put the food in your mouth and YOU sat on the couch watching tv when you could've been outside exercising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 07:55 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Do you think obesity is a disease?

To me its sticking a "medical" word to being excessively overweight and not a disease.
No, it's not a disease. It could be a symptom of something medically wrong, or a side effect from medications being taken, but most of the time it's simple overeating and/or poor dietary choices combined with lack of exercise.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:01 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Here we go again ...

Quote:
Obesity is almost choice in my opinion.
No one chooses to be obese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
It could be a symptom of something medically wrong, or a side effect from medications being taken, but most of the time it's simple overeating and/or poor dietary choices combined with lack of exercise.
Just for the sake of argument ... Alcoholism is considered a disease. It often is a symptom of something medically wrong (self-medication). But couldn't alcoholism be defined as "simple overdrinking (to use your phrase) and/or poor dietary choices"?

So, if alcohol addiction is considered a disease, wouldn't food addiction also be considered a disease?

Of course, the definition of alcholism according to DSM-IV is quite complex, and food addiction may not fit into those parameters. But you get the idea.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:07 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
obesity isnt a disease, it is absolutely a choice (in 99% of the cases).

alcoholism isnt a disease either. its also a choice. calling it a disease is just some stupid way of justifying it and part of the techniques of rehab places in "treating" it. seeing as they fail more times than they succeed, the "experts" can kiss my butt.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Here we go again ...

No one chooses to be obese.

Just for the sake of argument ... Alcoholism is considered a disease. It often is a symptom of something medically wrong (self-medication). But couldn't alcoholism be defined as "simple overdrinking (to use your phrase) and/or poor dietary choices"?

So, if alcohol addiction is considered a disease, wouldn't food addiction also be considered a disease?

Of course, the definition of alcholism according to DSM-IV is quite complex, and food addiction may not fit into those parameters. But you get the idea.
What other "diseases" can you name where by simple virtue of ceasing to do something negative, you can stop being affected by the disease?

Old 07-15-2009, 06:57 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
One can't cease to eat. Overeat perhaps but I think some have an easier time to "just say no" while others may find it difficult. We are all built differently. Some have superfast metabolism while others have super slow ones.

An alcoholic can't cease to drink alcohol when their body is used to the alcohol in their system. Their body will go through withdrawl if they just stop.

You're right, we make choices everyday but it's not as simple as "doing it" or "don't do it". At least it's not for everyone. If you think it's that easy, then you don't know what that person is going through.

What about the opposite: anorexics - disease or choice?

One can argue all day whether or not obesity, or anything, is a disease but here's the dictionary definition: Disease Definition | Definition of Disease at Dictionary.com. Take it for what you think it's worth.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
One can't cease to eat. Overeat perhaps but I think some have an easier time to "just say no" while others may find it difficult. We are all built differently. Some have superfast metabolism while others have super slow ones.
Nobody said to stop eating. Just stop OVEReating and get that fat butt off the sofa and start exercising. Metabolism isn't an excuse. You can increase your metabolism by -- *gasp* -- exercise! Whoda thunk it?

Quote:
An alcoholic can't cease to drink alcohol when their body is used to the alcohol in their system. Their body will go through withdrawl if they just stop.
Some can, it depends on how far gone they are. But the fact is, when an alcoholic quits drinking (however they go about that, either willpower or drug treatment) then they cease to suffer from the "disease".

Quote:
You're right, we make choices everyday but it's not as simple as "doing it" or "don't do it". At least it's not for everyone. If you think it's that easy, then you don't know what that person is going through.
For some it is just that simple. My grandfather, after fifty years of heavy smoking and heavy drinking, just put it down one day and quit. Easy? Nope. But he did it through sheer willpower. If it were truly a disease, NOBODY should be able to do that.

Quote:
What about the opposite: anorexics - disease or choice?
Choice. Anorexics can get better by starting to eat food again.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:34 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Mercury cougar,

You've already made your point that you think obesity is a choice. You don't need to reiterate, which is basically what you just did. Yes, for some it is as easy as an on/off switch. My dad quit smoking when his doctor said stop. My brother joined the soccer team and went from fat to fit, but I disagree that obese people choose to be stared at, talked down to, be passed over for raises, mocked, pointed at, ignored, what have you.

Obesity is increasing at an alarming rate in young children. Are we saying that the increase is due to all these kids choosing to be fat?? It's hard being a teenage girl as it is let alone being a fat one. There are a lot of factors contributing to the increase in obesity in young children. Choice, I believe, isn't one of those factors.

Studies also show that kids who are fat young rarely turn out skinny when they get older. Not to say it doesn't happen but it's the exception not the rule.

I'm sure you will argue some more which is fine but I already know you think being obese is a choice. No point to debate the same thing anymore.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:24 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,294,766 times
*sigh* another of these threads where people will proclaim that everyone who is obese *chooses* to be that way.

I'm not going to repeat what I've said in the 2 previous threads that were similar to this one, because frankly, it's not worth getting banned for.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:29 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
just because they may go through withdrawal doesnt mean they cant stop. so you have to put up with a few days of being sick, boo hoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness