Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 10:06 AM

140 posts, read 144,015 times

Advertisements

Bump. Anything change over the last 10+ years?

Son is almost 12.

At our family gym (think YMCA), middle school kids can have orientation to the "universal" equipment.

Not sure if I should get my son in a structured, body-part plan (chest day/leg day/etc.) or all-around stuff (pull-ups, push-ups, core work, and cardio). As johnny427 said, form will definitely be preached - light weight/resistance + high rep with good form.

With his size, a lot of the universal stuff is too big - requires a lot of adjustments & I'm trying to touch as little as possible in this Covid environment. This tends to lean to all-around workouts; but, should he do the same exercises daily (probably 5 days a week on avg, we get to the gym)?

If, for instance, I say just to various push-ups today, he'll end quickly...then, I'll tell him to run/jog. I'm afraid he'll get bored.

Appreciate any online resources you can point to. Not looking to re-invent the wheel & I'm sure in 10 yrs, some workout for kids is already out there. I saw one put out by Spartan (Race), at least the logo is there but it's burpees, crunches, etc. That's good, but I'd like to also incorporate dumbbells and machines. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 06:22 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I don't see anything wrong with getting kids around that age started lifting weights. ASSUMING they're taught properly with respect to form and not overloading themselves with too heavy weights. You'll likely have to be their shadow in the gym until you're comfortable leaving them to do it alone, which could take several years. Maybe start with machines and work up to free weights.

Old 11-07-2020, 12:40 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enTERPRising View Post
Bump. Anything change over the last 10+ years?

Son is almost 12.

At our family gym (think YMCA), middle school kids can have orientation to the "universal" equipment.

Not sure if I should get my son in a structured, body-part plan (chest day/leg day/etc.) or all-around stuff (pull-ups, push-ups, core work, and cardio). As johnny427 said, form will definitely be preached - light weight/resistance + high rep with good form.

With his size, a lot of the universal stuff is too big - requires a lot of adjustments & I'm trying to touch as little as possible in this Covid environment. This tends to lean to all-around workouts; but, should he do the same exercises daily (probably 5 days a week on avg, we get to the gym)?

If, for instance, I say just to various push-ups today, he'll end quickly...then, I'll tell him to run/jog. I'm afraid he'll get bored.

Appreciate any online resources you can point to. Not looking to re-invent the wheel & I'm sure in 10 yrs, some workout for kids is already out there. I saw one put out by Spartan (Race), at least the logo is there but it's burpees, crunches, etc. That's good, but I'd like to also incorporate dumbbells and machines. Thanks!
I'm empty nested now, they are both doing very well in life with good health, good degrees, jobs etc. We're all very close and talk frequently. Pretty much can't ask for any more than that.

IMO the best sort of exercise is the kind you are getting without it being exercise. Anything you can find that is fun for them and engaging is a win.

With regards to weights, it's kinda amazing what kind of shape you can get in with a simple pair of dumbells or two (one lighter, one heavier) if you have a place to keep them near the TV, it's not a bad idea like if they like the NFL and a game is on etc.

Old 11-07-2020, 01:21 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
We just got our 12 year old son a bench and weights. I work out with him. We are only benching about 35 lbs, and curling the bar only. We also do leg extensions with a 15lb plate and squats holding the bar only. We also do push ups.

Here is the bench we got:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/CAP-Stren...t-Set/46932995
We got a 5’ bar better than the one included. It’s small for an adult but perfect for a kid.

I am very careful to model correct posture and technique. We are working with very light loads, but will slowly increase over time. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness