Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:02 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,860,497 times

Advertisements

I'm confused as to why things say to do 3 reps of 10. Am I supposed to stop and do something else between reps? Why can't I just do 30 of the same thing? Someone shed some light please. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 10:06 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,016 times
If you can do 30 reps in a row, the weight is too light and you are not building/toning muscle. If you do 10 reps, you should be almost the the point of failure on the 10th rep. Then work out other muscles and come back and do the the next set of reps when you recover and can do 10 more. Rinse and repeat.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:13 AM

Ok sort of makes sense. I'm starting this new fit ball exercise routine 2-3 times per week. I work my abs, arms hips and thighs. The abs and arm exercise I can do pretty much 30 at once, the hip and thigh thing I have to stop. I was just wondering if I did all 30 at once, wouldn't that be fine enough or do my muscles need to rest to get the full benefit?

Old 09-04-2009, 12:15 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Ok sort of makes sense. I'm starting this new fit ball exercise routine 2-3 times per week. I work my abs, arms hips and thighs. The abs and arm exercise I can do pretty much 30 at once, the hip and thigh thing I have to stop. I was just wondering if I did all 30 at once, wouldn't that be fine enough or do my muscles need to rest to get the full benefit?
No.

I repeat the advice above: if you can do 30 reps in a row of something, you're going too light. The point isn't as much letting your muscles resting it's about stressing them. Stressing your muscles is the only way of building them. Thus, if you 10 reps at a higher weight, and do 3 sets, and RESTING (read: not doing anything else to any other part of the body) for a few minutes between, you'll get more than if you just did 30 at a time.

It's an extreme example, but one that I'm following now. People who want to build muscle mass typically lift 80% of their absolute max (= just once at the heaviest they can do) 6 repetitions over 3 sets. That shocks the muscles to developing. THen to tone them out they reduce the weight to 60% and do 10 repetitions over 3 or 4 sets. Again, it's the stressing of the muscles which make them grow and develop, not just repetition.

And what is the fitness ball? Is that a medicine ball? Even if it is, building muscle mass in the arms won't be done with balls. You'll have to go freeweights.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
No.

I repeat the advice above: if you can do 30 reps in a row of something, you're going too light. The point isn't as much letting your muscles resting it's about stressing them. Stressing your muscles is the only way of building them. Thus, if you 10 reps at a higher weight, and do 3 sets, and RESTING (read: not doing anything else to any other part of the body) for a few minutes between, you'll get more than if you just did 30 at a time.

It's an extreme example, but one that I'm following now. People who want to build muscle mass typically lift 80% of their absolute max (= just once at the heaviest they can do) 6 repetitions over 3 sets. That shocks the muscles to developing. THen to tone them out they reduce the weight to 60% and do 10 repetitions over 3 or 4 sets. Again, it's the stressing of the muscles which make them grow and develop, not just repetition.

And what is the fitness ball? Is that a medicine ball? Even if it is, building muscle mass in the arms won't be done with balls. You'll have to go freeweights.
A fitness ball meaning one of those big rubber balls that they sometimes use in yoga or pilates. So I'm not even using weights, just my own weight as resistance. So for example, I do push ups on the ball with my hips on the ball so I'm kind of over the ball. Make sense? All I'm looking for is toning my arms (I'm a woman and don't want muscley arms, my arms are actually pretty nice as is) and building some more muscle in my abs. I am also walking a few times a week, hiking etc as aerobic exercise. Not looking for major weight loss, just some strengthening and toning.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:17 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
A fitness ball meaning one of those big rubber balls that they sometimes use in yoga or pilates. So I'm not even using weights, just my own weight as resistance. So for example, I do push ups on the ball with my hips on the ball so I'm kind of over the ball. Make sense? All I'm looking for is toning my arms (I'm a woman and don't want muscley arms, my arms are actually pretty nice as is) and building some more muscle in my abs. I am also walking a few times a week, hiking etc as aerobic exercise. Not looking for major weight loss, just some strengthening and toning.
Ahh ... that makes more sense now LOL.

But still, doing 30 reps isn't enough. I'd get a couple 10 or 15 lb weights and doing 10 reps of those. That will give you a better toning experience, and then once those get light, simply don't up the weight and keep doing the same to maintain.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:23 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,324,862 times
Sandy Cat, you won't get muscley arms like a man without supplements or steriods and insane weight lifting.

To add difficulty when you do the push-ups, start with the ball at your thighs, then as you do the push up, lift your hips into the air and let you lower legs roll onto the ball... that adds a lot to the push up.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:40 AM

968 posts, read 2,588,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Sandy Cat, you won't get muscley arms like a man without supplements or steriods and insane weight lifting.

To add difficulty when you do the push-ups, start with the ball at your thighs, then as you do the push up, lift your hips into the air and let you lower legs roll onto the ball... that adds a lot to the push up.

LOL sure you can just eat at a surplus.

You can gain definition in your arms doing your current routine. I say definition because you'll lose fat surrounding the muscle. You will also see some strength gains.

But as one of the previous posters said you need to shock your muscles. 3-6 sets of 3-6 reps will provide that shock with heavy weights. Then I would do a couple of dynamic exercises to go along with it.

If you are cutting fat I would suggest lifting as heavy as you can for the reps I listed above and eat in a caloric deficit.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:06 AM

165 posts, read 405,676 times
It is a common, unfounded fear that most women have about weight training and getting "bulky." If it were so easy to get muscle mass, almost every guy in the world would be at a gym lifting. Putting on muscle mass is not easy and not something that most women have to worry about. Your testosterone levels are too low.

Strength training with free weights will give you some tone to your muscles. You have to eat properly to get the "muscly" look. You can have 300 pounds of muscle, but if it is covered by 300 lbs of fat, you will never see it.

A good strength training program, combined with cardio and proper diet will give many women the figure they desire. You don't have to try to bench press 200 lbs, but doing dumb bell bench press with 20 lb dumb bells will not make you bulky.

I hope this makes sense.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:31 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,445 times
Plus it's not like once you get them (if you get big arms) >BOINK< it just happens and then
they'll just stay that way for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness