Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:35 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
It is my personal opinion that all diets and all exercise programs on tv or in books are overrated. I think the key to a successful healthy life is 99.9% based on genetics. I could eat exactly like any successful trainer and exercise exactly like him/her also and my results would be entirely different and possibly not even achievable due to my genetic makeup. I mean if we all ate the same foods, ate cleanly, and exercised with various equipment, wouldn't we all have the same build? So for those who have tried all sorts of diets and exercise programs at home or in the gym, and have basically exhausted yourself mentally, physically and for some financially, it's not worth it, because your genetic makeup will never allow you to reach that perfect body that someone else is wearing. Enjoy life, enjoy a treat or two without overeating junk food, and avoid eating too much at each meal, exercise logically without killing yourself each day. All those diets, exercise programs sold on TV or in books, all those web sites that help you manage your calories by number crunching, it all doesn't work. Your body is going to conform how it wants to conform to, no matter what you do, or what you eat, because of genetics. You can lose a certain degree of fat from your body but you are not going to lose all of it, no matter how hard you try and no matter how much you sacrifice with foods. For those who have great genetics in their family, be thankfull for what you inherited and enjoy what you eat whenever you want and by keeping that appearance with such ease while Jo Schmo measures everything he/she eats and works out like a mad man/woman each day in hopes or I should say dream to look like how you look. No matter what I do each day, it's never going to be enough to fullfill that dream. I had my share of success these last two years and now no matter what I do or eat, no matter how many plateau's I hit or overcome, it's never ever enough to get the body I want. There's no miracle pill either, no miracle supplement, nothing. I am what I am, and I'm going to be like how I'm supposed to be in the future based on my genetic makeup and looking at my family members, it's not going to be the body that I dreamed it could be.
Yes, tv exercise programs are overrated. You can not train for 2 months and expect to have the same body as a trainer who has been training for years.
If you eat less energy then you use, you will loose weight, there is no way around it.

You may be have genetics that make it hard for you too loose weight, but it does not mean it is impossible. Just extremely difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 08:39 PM

532 posts, read 1,568,054 times
There's alot that goes into it. One thing is your set point, what your body thinks your ideal weight should be. If your on a path to overshoot your setpoint, theoretically your metabolism will increase and your food craving decrease, if your on a path to undershoot it, your metabolism drops and you conserve energy and eat more. Genetics determines alot, Family determines alot, Culture determines alot, Lifestyle, etc, etc. The very genetics that may make one overweight now were key to survival way back when. However, culture and environment changes quicker than genetics.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:11 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
TheCaliforniaBEar wrote:
In the world of excercise there is a LOT of BS information, and there are thousands of con-artist "fitness gurus".

Why? Because people make money selling you on it. 90% of the information out there is false, it's all just big business. There is a sucker born every minute.
Ain't it the truth!

Far too many people are willing to take the word of an expert, rather than experimenting and finding out THEIR truth and what works for them. It's so much easier to be amongst the sheeple than to really KNOW. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sayin that the books, articles, and videos produced by these experts are pure rubbish because almost all of them have some useful nuggets, but you can only find them by experimenting rather than blind acceptance. If I had a dollar for everytime that I personlly took the gurus word as gospel, only to later discover that it was pure garbage in my case, I could build myself a really cool gym with all of the latest equipment. But that was in my early days of working out when I was in my 20s and 30s. I no longer buy any of it until it has proven to work for me. I'm maintain my willingness to experiment without believing any of it.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:23 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Fitness and exercise is not rocket science. Weight loss and fitness are simple concepts, but so many people want it to come easy, hence the infomercials and fad diets. You have to put in the time at the gym and eat better. No need for fancy supplements, eat only "this-or-that" diets, and gimmicks that require expensive gadgets. Well rounded exercise program and a well rounded diet will keep you alive and kicking for many years to come. If you have specific goals like competitive body-building or power lifting, it requires some degree of varying intensity and altering ones diet, but for the average person who wants to lose a few pounds and tone up, it's not all that complicated. Folks just don't want to work hard for it, they want the answer in a pill or twenty minute walk in the park.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,656 times
Smile Re :

I suggest you doing some cardio workouts that means jogging, sprinting, and running.

Do crunches every other day. Don't lift weights your to young and it will effect your spine causing you no to grow to your full potential! well it could have a slight effect!!
Check this web site for more info Summer Health Tips | General Fitness and Health Tips Daily
Hope this helps!!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:22 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Fitness and exercise is not rocket science. Weight loss and fitness are simple concepts, but so many people want it to come easy, hence the infomercials and fad diets. You have to put in the time at the gym and eat better. No need for fancy supplements, eat only "this-or-that" diets, and gimmicks that require expensive gadgets. Well rounded exercise program and a well rounded diet will keep you alive and kicking for many years to come. If you have specific goals like competitive body-building or power lifting, it requires some degree of varying intensity and altering ones diet, but for the average person who wants to lose a few pounds and tone up, it's not all that complicated. Folks just don't want to work hard for it, they want the answer in a pill or twenty minute walk in the park.
True, although, genetics can make it tougher on some. For instance; I work out religiously, i'm in good shape and have been my entire life but no matter what I do I can't change my butt....it's not big, not small and i'm totally good with it but it's annoying to know that I couldn't change it if i wanted to. It's true though that there are many who want a quick answer to their weight/body issues....sometimes it's just not that easy but the point being missed here is the health aspect of it all......if you work out and eat healthy you will see changes....do it for the health of it and the rest will follow

Old 09-16-2009, 08:56 AM

lola8822 wrote:
It's true though that there are many who want a quick answer to their weight/body issues....sometimes it's just not that easy but the point being missed here is the health aspect of it all......if you work out and eat healthy you will see changes....do it for the health of it and the rest will follow
For better or worse we live in a society that values quick & fast rather than slow and steady. To a certain degree we've all been brainwashed with that attitude. If we can step back into ourselves for a moment every now and then, perhaps more of us would realize that our health is our greatest asset. Having that insight would dramatically change the way we live our lives. More of our actions would come from that place.......do it for the health of it and the rest will follow

Old 09-16-2009, 10:31 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,821 times
Yes, I too also believe that a lot of exercise books and T.V. exercise programs are overrated.

You shape depends on:

1. Your daily nutrition (how many calories and fat grams do you eat per day).
2. Your exercise routine (are you getting all 3 components into your workout weekly; cardio, strength, and flexibility).
3. Your health (are you healthy enough to do the workout. Always get a physical from your doctor before starting any kind of workout routine).
4. Your genetics (some people get real thin from working out and some don't. It depends on your heritage).

Old 09-16-2009, 01:26 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
It is my personal opinion that all diets and all exercise programs on tv or in books are overrated. I think the key to a successful healthy life is 99.9% based on genetics. I could eat exactly like any successful trainer and exercise exactly like him/her also and my results would be entirely different and possibly not even achievable due to my genetic makeup. I mean if we all ate the same foods, ate cleanly, and exercised with various equipment, wouldn't we all have the same build? So for those who have tried all sorts of diets and exercise programs at home or in the gym, and have basically exhausted yourself mentally, physically and for some financially, it's not worth it, because your genetic makeup will never allow you to reach that perfect body that someone else is wearing. Enjoy life, enjoy a treat or two without overeating junk food, and avoid eating too much at each meal, exercise logically without killing yourself each day. All those diets, exercise programs sold on TV or in books, all those web sites that help you manage your calories by number crunching, it all doesn't work. Your body is going to conform how it wants to conform to, no matter what you do, or what you eat, because of genetics. You can lose a certain degree of fat from your body but you are not going to lose all of it, no matter how hard you try and no matter how much you sacrifice with foods. For those who have great genetics in their family, be thankfull for what you inherited and enjoy what you eat whenever you want and by keeping that appearance with such ease while Jo Schmo measures everything he/she eats and works out like a mad man/woman each day in hopes or I should say dream to look like how you look. No matter what I do each day, it's never going to be enough to fullfill that dream. I had my share of success these last two years and now no matter what I do or eat, no matter how many plateau's I hit or overcome, it's never ever enough to get the body I want. There's no miracle pill either, no miracle supplement, nothing. I am what I am, and I'm going to be like how I'm supposed to be in the future based on my genetic makeup and looking at my family members, it's not going to be the body that I dreamed it could be.
Sorry, but this is a cop-out. The truth is most people don't even come close to reaching their genetic potential. Instead of worrying about what others have achieved, why not just focus on the best you can achieve for yourself? I look at my parents who aren't tall, aren't athletic, and aren't physically strong. I suppose I could be like you and throw my hands in the air and declare myself genetically cursed. But after spending years working out and eating right, I now look nothing like my parents except in the face. And one thing I don't do is look at someone and say "I could never look like that." For years, I would see runners who had 6-packs and wondered why I could never see that kind of definition in my mid-section. Finally, after a lot of trial-and-error to see how my body responds, I'm seeing the definition I thought I would never attain. Stop using your genetics as a lame excuse. And BTW, there are plenty of other reasons to exercise and eat right that have nothing to do with looks. How bout doing it for your health?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Metabolic lifting for calorie burn is an URBAN LEGEND. It does not work.

To build and harden muscle, lift weights.

To burn fat, diet and cardio.

Lifting weights is NOT effective for burning fat, no matter how you do it. I don't know where this rumor started. But if you ask any decent bodybuilder about this they will laugh in your face.
By itself, it's probably not enough for most people. But any fat loss plan should incorporate both cardio and weight training. Lifting weights isn't just for building muscle. It's also for preserving what you have, something you're in danger of losing if you're dieting and doing cardio. I've tried losing weight with just cardio and diet. It worked, but I lost muscle too. When I added weight training, not only did I stop losing muscle, I increased how much fat I was burning. So it's not an urban legend that weight training raises your metabolism. Have you bothered to look up all the studies that have measured post-exercise metabolism?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:47 PM

DennyCrane wrote:
after a lot of trial-and-error to see how my body responds
You nailed it Denny. This is the key to success! Too many sheeple take the word of the so-called experts as the gospel truth, lacking the willingness to experiment and find out what works for them. Too many sheeple want to be TOLD what to do, without putting in the time and effort to try this and try that and KNOW with certainty what works and what is a bunch of BS crap to sell books and DVDs at their expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness