Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:31 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times

Advertisements

Plenty of people do not have the cash (me...lol) or want the larger look of lifting weights. But people also like to use the excuse not to do anything because you need to buy into a gym or buy some stuff for home.

So I thought this would be a good thread to post some stuff you guys like to do or did to get started or just part of what you do. The only rule is that you can not use any equipment other than something that is around the non-working out household (like a chair or counter edge)

So post it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 03:18 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,615,259 times
I once tried pull ups on the shower curtain bar........

.......It didn't work out too well........

Old 09-22-2009, 04:18 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
LOL....ohh Yeh I imagine you would weigh more than a shower curtain.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:40 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,118,408 times
Do walking and running count? One only needs a pair of shoes to get started.

It's easy to start a basic yoga routine. If you can't afford to take a class (although many studios around here seem to offer "first class free" deals....) then check youtube or your local library for instructional videos/dvds.

Do crunches while watching TV.

People who want to lift weights on a budget can fill old milk jugs with sand or water.

Got stairs? Run up them. Repeat.

Go to the local park/playground during off-peak hours and play like a kid. Most also include heavy-duty bars for pull-ups, dips, and the like. Don't forget to spend some time on the swings!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
It's easy to start a basic yoga routine. If you can't afford to take a class (although many studios around here seem to offer "first class free" deals....) then check youtube or your local library for instructional videos/dvds.

Do crunches while watching TV.

Go to the local park/playground during off-peak hours and play like a kid. Most also include heavy-duty bars for pull-ups, dips, and the like. Don't forget to spend some time on the swings!
+1 rep points for you. (tried to rep you but need to spread it around more)

There are some really great complete Yoga routines to be found on Youtube. I also recommend going to the park as they often have pullup bars, rings, situp benches, etc. to work with.

You can do Tabata (20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest for 8 sets) intervals of:

Pushups, situps, air squats, burpees, pullups with a towel hung over a tree branch, or shot put tosses with rocks/stones in the backyard.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 09-23-2009 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: couldnt rep the above poster.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:40 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
I joined a YMCA. They have memberships that go by your income, and most of the perks of the big gyms. The hours are shorter, but it only costs me $10.75 per month. For that I do 2-3 yoga classes per week, step aerobic three times per week, there's a weight room, a cardio room, water aerobics, and more stuff.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:20 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
My favorite without equipment:

--pushups
--dips on a chair/steps
--lunges
--squats
--hamstring curls
--fire hydrants

For cheap equipment, jump rope and bands are great for making your own home gym!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:26 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,953 times
Get big water bottles and use them as weights.

Fill up a sturdy duffle bag up with heavy stuff. I use a leather duffle bag fall of water bottle and rocks and it weighs 65 pounds, enough for a great workout.

Do exercise on the equipment at a playground. There are great bars there for dips, pullups, etc.

Pushups, sit ups.

Find a big rock somewhere in the woods and do strongman style lifts with it.

You don't need a gym to work your muscles well. If it's heavy, lift it.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:54 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,921,046 times
Like others who have posted here, I have been known to use the jungle gyms in parks. I've been through a couple of periods when I could not aford a gym membership. Nowadays I'm less inclined to get "exercise" per se than to get involved in activities I enjoy for their own sake, which also are physically strenuous. Still, I do supplement this with a basic strength workout, but I do this at home, mostly using body weight, but also utilizing a few objects around the house. I find that the mix of moderate and relatively heavy resistance I get this way makes for a good all-around muscle workout. Here are the exercises I do most often:

Chest: push-ups, incline push-ups, dips. I do the dips in the kitchen, at a spot where two counters intersect to form a right-angle corner. I face into the corner and brace my hands on the counters to either side. If you do these, you want to make sure that the counter and your hands are really dry, so you don't slip and send your face crashing against the edge of the counter top. I also occasionally do push-downs at my desk, with my hands braced near the front edge of the desk.

Shoulders: I have an old PA speaker which I'm guestimating weighs around forty pounds. It has a handle because it's a portable speaker. I grab the handle and do upright rows, same number of sets with each hand.

I've also found that an upright vacuum cleaner is good for upright rowing of a lower intensity. I'll do these every now and then, by grasping the upright handle at a comfortable height with one hand, then doing the upright rowing motion while holding the vacuum cleaner somewhat out to the side, which increases the intensity over holding it centered in front of the chest as you would for standard upright rows.

Some good pushing exercises for the tops of the shoulders are jack-knife push-ups for an exercise with lower to moderate resistance, and, for higher resistance, nose-in-ring or the same idea with the hands at shoulder width.

Upper back: A tree limb of the right thickness at the right height is great for pull-ups. Sometimes I'll walk to the local high school, where I do an exercise along the front of the bleachers which is a cross between a pull-up and a rowing motion. You brace your feet against the front edge of the walkway along the front of the bleachers while gripping the top of the front railing. Start with your arms extended so that you hang down as far as possible. One rep is pulling up until your chest touches the top railing and returning to the starting position.

Abs: crunches, alternating crunches, Russian twists, ab curls. I'll also exercise the external obliques with whatever heavy object I can find around the house to do the exercise where you lean to the side against resistance. Crunches with the legs together and swiveled over to the side are pretty good for this area too, but they don't quite get take you through the full range of motion. Good when nothing else is available, though.

Legs/lower body: the classic knee bend. Sometimes I'll do a set of two hundred or so, which lasts long enough that it also nudges briefly into cardio territory. I'll do this just once every couple of weeks. The rest of the time I'll do knee bends on one leg, keeping my weight back, the way you would do when squatting with a free weight.

Side-stepping off of the bottom step in a set of stairs, with both abduction and adduction motions, stepping down in various directions (a little forward, straight out to the side, more toward the back and out to the side, etc.) for the inner and outer muscles of the legs.

Sometimes I'll do dead lifts with an emergency portable generator. Don't know how much it weighs, but it's plenty heavy. This one is good for the lower back as well. Grabbing the handle at one end of the generator, then standing and leaning to the side against the weight of the generator is the way I usually do that external oblique exercise I mentioned above when describing ab exercises.

In one of those too-poor-for-a-gym-membership times, during my younger wilder days, I used to exercise my legs by driving to a quiet side street and pushing my car, walking both forward and backward. These are multi-joint movements which I feel are more the natural way our legs were made to be used than leg extensions and ham curls. Obviously you've got to be really careful doing this, so you don't end up losing control and getting run over if you happen to be on a slight incline so that the car would roll toward you if you weren't pushing it. This is an exercise to do ONLY if you have a really, really good feel for what you can handle.

I now sometimes do a tamer, perhaps more sane, version of pushing the car while walking backward. You can exercise your legs with about the same motion by walking backward uphill. You get the best effect if you can find the steepest hill which still allows you to smoothly do a long step through the full range of motion without having to cut the step short to keep from tipping over forward. Experimenting will give you a good feel for when you have an embankment with the optimal grade. Try to maintain some tension in your quads through the full range of motion, also something for which you can gain a feel after a little practice. I've found that a bank of the right grade which is high enough to allow me to take ten steps to reach the top works well for this exercise. Ten steps up, then do some negative resistance walking forward back down the bank, and do this ten times, for a total of one hundred backward steps uphill, does not take me to exhaustion, but I definitely know I've worked those muscles. If you can't find a slope high enough for so many steps, you can find a slope just high enough to allow you to take one full, long backward step uphill, and do reps with each leg--step up and back, then downward and forward, up and back, down and forward, etc.

Um, well, that's about it. Great idea for a thread, Pitt.

Last edited by ogre; 09-24-2009 at 01:04 AM..

Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Plenty of people do not have the cash (me...lol) or want the larger look of lifting weights. But people also like to use the excuse not to do anything because you need to buy into a gym or buy some stuff for home.

So I thought this would be a good thread to post some stuff you guys like to do or did to get started or just part of what you do. The only rule is that you can not use any equipment other than something that is around the non-working out household (like a chair or counter edge)

So post it!

I use large stones and throw them. I use my car and push it for about 30 meters.

Uh, don't know if this counts but I also found a simi truck tire along with freeway and tied that to a chain; I then dragged it for a block with my arms mimicking standing push ups/rows for a block long in a industrial complex. I use to do it every sunday as a recovery day.

Last edited by Morphous01; 09-24-2009 at 09:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness