Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:17 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,715,648 times

Advertisements

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., Dec. 9 (UPI) -- An Oklahoma man lost 239 pounds and won the top prize of $250,000 on the Season 8 finale of TV's "The Biggest Loser," NBC said Wednesday.

Danny Cahill, a 40-year-old land surveyor, musician and father of two from Broken Arrow, Okla., was declared the show's winner Tuesday night.

Man loses 239 lbs., wins 'Biggest Loser' - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 07:11 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,818,975 times
That's amazing, I weigh 230 and I've been bummed because I gained 10-15lbs when I broke my leg. I'm having a hard time getting it off. That guy lost more than my bodyweight and I'm a big guy!

Old 01-08-2010, 03:21 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,867,810 times
What kind of workouts/exercise did he do?

Old 01-08-2010, 06:00 AM

865 posts, read 2,436,775 times
Have you ever watched "The Biggest Loser"? They work out 6 hrs a day, have professional trainers, and have their diets monitored. It's hard core, and that's why they drop so much weight, so quickly. Afterwards, the idea is that the concepts that they've learned at "the Ranch", will carry over to their lives back home, so they can maintain their weight.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:40 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,812,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
Have you ever watched "The Biggest Loser"? They work out 6 hrs a day, have professional trainers, and have their diets monitored. It's hard core, and that's why they drop so much weight, so quickly. Afterwards, the idea is that the concepts that they've learned at "the Ranch", will carry over to their lives back home, so they can maintain their weight.
Have you seen the guy who won several years ago who gained the weight back? He said yes, they are with you every step of the way while you are on the show. Afterwards, they drop you and there is no follow up. While you are at the ranch, it is easy, they have all the tools for you, but this does not translate in the real world. I think the show needs to take more responsibility for how to lose weight and keep it off.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:03 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,818,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Have you seen the guy who won several years ago who gained the weight back? He said yes, they are with you every step of the way while you are on the show. Afterwards, they drop you and there is no follow up. While you are at the ranch, it is easy, they have all the tools for you, but this does not translate in the real world. I think the show needs to take more responsibility for how to lose weight and keep it off.
Perhaps, but don't you think that the person who gains the weight back has some personal responsibilities as well? After gaining say 50lbs back, don't you think a reasonable person would say, "no, I'm not going back there" and take the appropriate steps. There are personal trainers and dieticians everywhere. They would probably love the PR of working with a former "Biggest Loser" to help keep the weight off.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:08 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,744,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The biggest loser ranch is not required to stay slim. Look at all the slim people who go about their every day lives without ever even watching the biggest loser---they use normal gyms and eat normal food. The show is ultimately that---a show. Their goal is to gain ratings and if it helps some people lose weight, great. The show is not your mommy. If someone who has lost weight is going to eat and lounge like a lardarse, its really no one's fault but their own.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:22 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,317,702 times
Once you get up there those fat cells will always send hunger signals to the body even when deflated. I don't think its easy or natural to keep it off once you had that amount of unhealthy weight on you. At least not as easy/natural compared to others who did not have that problem.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,235,499 times
I agree with the poster who said they need more support to keep the weight off after the ranch.

IMHO 'Biggest Loser' contestants lose the weight much too fast. I mean 20+ lbs in ONE WEEK?

I think they are shocking their bodies too much, and they need more education on ho to translate a 24/7 fitness regime in real life. If these people were good at this stuff they wouldn't be obese in the first place.

Yes they have responsibility for taking care of themselves, but dumping people at the end of this kind of intensive, over the top, out of real life program, just seems to be asking for trouble.

They should really be allocated a personal trainer and nutritionist for the first 6 months post ranch to get used to how to do everything at home.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:18 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,812,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Perhaps, but don't you think that the person who gains the weight back has some personal responsibilities as well? After gaining say 50lbs back, don't you think a reasonable person would say, "no, I'm not going back there" and take the appropriate steps. There are personal trainers and dieticians everywhere. They would probably love the PR of working with a former "Biggest Loser" to help keep the weight off.
Of course the person needs to take responsibility. But it is similar to an alcoholic. You put a person into a radical program, speed it up into a few days, put the person back into the real world, you don't think they'll drink again?

Yes, they helped them lose weight, but they should they also help them to maintain that weight and live a health lifestyle. They way these people are losing weight is very unhealthy. For them to gain it back is even MORE unhealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness