Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 20,024 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to Alaska (from California, raised in Oregon) after I get out of high school. I was looking at going to the University of Fairbanks but I'm not sure if it's the right choice. Is it a "good school"? I'm looking to study in physics or computer programming. And how hard is it to get into? I get straight A's, but I did terrible my freshman and sophomore year (I had to take care of my little sister).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 10:39 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadronc View Post
I'm planning on moving to Alaska (from California, raised in Oregon) after I get out of high school. I was looking at going to the University of Fairbanks but I'm not sure if it's the right choice. Is it a "good school"? I'm looking to study in physics or computer programming. And how hard is it to get into? I get straight A's, but I did terrible my freshman and sophomore year (I had to take care of my little sister).

Being from out of state, tuition will likely cost you three times as much. Go to college in CA where it'll cost you much less.

Move to Alaska after you finish college in California.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:04 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
UAF is the best one in Alaska, and probably in a lot of other places for space and physics. UAF also has the largest international arctic research center of the Norther Hemisphere (IARC), for those interested in learning about global warming/cooling. Computer programing is good, and should be similar to the college in Anchorage (UAA). A few things about UAF: earthquake research, biology, space (including Northern Lights), physics, and engineering.

After a year of residency in Alaska you can legally become a resident, and tuition will be quite cheap compared to other places. But if you aren't a resident, then CA is a lot cheaper.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Being from out of state, tuition will likely cost you three times as much. Go to college in CA where it'll cost you much less.

Move to Alaska after you finish college in California.
I know it's going to cost more, but I seriously HATE California. And I have a college fund, so I'm pretty much set on that.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
UAF is the best one in Alaska, and probably in a lot of other places for space and physics. UAF also has the largest international arctic research center of the Norther Hemisphere (IARC), for those interested in learning about global warming/cooling. Computer programing is good, and should be similar to the college in Anchorage (UAA). A few things about UAF: earthquake research, biology, space (including Northern Lights), physics, and engineering.

After a year of residency in Alaska you can legally become a resident, and tuition will be quite cheap compared to other places. But if you aren't a resident, then CA is a lot cheaper.
Is it hard to get into? My GPA is low, but I expect my SAT scores to be pretty good. And I'll have taken two years of language and up to precalc.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:38 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Is it hard to get into? My GPA is low, but I expect my SAT scores to be pretty good. And I'll have taken two years of language and up to precalc.
I am not certain about how difficult or not it is. Just check with the right people at the U:
University of Alaska Fairbanks | UAF home

Old 08-30-2010, 02:22 AM

406 posts, read 755,857 times
Good School not the greatest... Budget for the whole system is well you know..

Old 08-30-2010, 11:01 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,331 times
Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) | Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education
I think if you are a California or Oregon resident, you can take advantage of the Western Undergraduate Exchange.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:11 PM

204 posts, read 472,082 times
=) I'm currently a student at UAF, and so far I love it here. Even though classes just started today, I can tell that the administration/faculty really cares about us as students here. I'm very excited to be here, so yeah...

Old 09-03-2010, 12:15 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,260 times
UAF is wonderful for certain things.
Fairbanks is da'Bomb!

and if you are 30ish, it is really easy to get into. Not sure about fresh out of high school kids though.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks