Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:46 PM

28 posts, read 46,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Why the emphasis on risky behaviors (2WD Chevy)?
And why is it risky behavoir just because he is driving his car which just happens to be a chevy lumina 2wd? That is the car that I purchased for him 3 years ago and it is and has been a very good car, and it just happens that it is the only thing he has and I CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY HIM A BRAND NEW 4X4 or any other car for that matter! So that is why he is driving it, it's the only one he has!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 07:47 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
He'll be fine.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly in Colorado View Post
And why is it risky behavoir just because he is driving his car which just happens to be a chevy lumina 2wd? That is the car that I purchased for him 3 years ago and it is and has been a very good car, and it just happens that it is the only thing he has and I CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY HIM A BRAND NEW 4X4 or any other car for that matter! So that is why he is driving it, it's the only one he has!
He'll be a lot better off in that car than the people who think they are invincible because they've got the latest 4x4.

Another advantage to him spending the night along the way and yes, of socializing in pubs during the evening, is that he may meet fellow travellers who are going to the same destination. When my friend Jenny did the drive, she met people who would watch out for her on the road, and vice versa. Some of them drove together for awhile.

That wouldn't have happened if they hadn't met in a social environment along the way. And the chances are good that your son will meet up with other students headed up.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-08-2010 at 08:09 PM..

Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 PM

28 posts, read 46,080 times
Like I said earlier, I have invested alot for driving instructions on him and talked to him numerous times over the years about drinking and driving, I don't think my son is that stupid. Since he has been driving he has not received any tickets nor been in any accidents, I think that says something. I don't have a problem with him stopping for the night and having a few, as long as he doesn't get behind the wheel of a car and goes back to his room and leaves the next day. I don't think he has any intention of ever driving after he has had a few drinks, and I would appreciate it if anyone else has any nasty comments or criticism of my son to please keep it to themselves. I joined this forum to get advice for him on his drive up there and can do without the criticism of my son please.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:19 PM

68 posts, read 166,731 times
If you can't talk him out of it, make sure he brings emergency supplies to stay warm with just in case.There are some friends will go with him, so just take it easy, they can look after each other. So, I know you are a careful mother, great!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
When I was 18 a friend and myself went for a six mile canoe ride in Lake Ontario. It was late January. No life jackets, no nothing.

Compared to us, your son will be exponentially more prepared, and probably a tad smarter than we were.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:12 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,876 times
Wow, after reading this I can't imagine the torture I put my folks through with the stuff that I insisted on doing in my late teens and early 20's. Shelley, I think you received good advice. You're preparing his car for winter weather, he will/should have a well-stocked emergency kit, and he's with a friend. But please do not start smoking again or become an alcoholic.

At least he's not a Marine running around Helmand province. Then you might have genuine cause for concern.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:43 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly in Colorado View Post
I joined this forum to get advice for him on his drive up there and can do without the criticism of my son please.
I think it's great what he is doing. As long as he is prepared and kinda self reliant he'll do fine. We raise too many wimps in our country as it is. Encourage him and make sure he is prepared. You might also get him a phone card so he can call and check in since in many places a cell phone won't work. Looking forward to his trip reports!!!!!!

Old 12-08-2010, 09:52 PM

178 posts, read 250,825 times
Stiffnecked,

Tried to give you some rep for your bolded comment, but CD wouldn't let me. I agree whole heartedly.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:07 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times
Right on Stiff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks