Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:44 PM

34 posts, read 72,822 times

Advertisements

Did you ever make it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 05:40 PM

59 posts, read 113,453 times
Oh my goodness...I could have sworn that I did post a reply to let all of you know that we've made it...I typed a lot with our experience too...darn it, I don't know why it didn't get sent.
Anyhow, yes we made it and our drive was pretty smooth except we got a flat tire on our trailer I believe it was on the way from Fort Nelson to Whitehourse (we just passed Toad River). We were going to pull into this small motel/gas station by the side of the highway and my husband who's driving the UHaul with the trailer missed the entry. So he was doing the pain in the butt 3 point turn in front of me and that's when I noticed the flat. We were only 2km away from the motel so I drove to the motel to see if they have service. Turned out the couple is contracted with UHaul and the husband fixed the tire for us in less than 1 hour while I had a nice chat with the wife. They are really nice people and she told me they actually thought about closing for winter because it's too expensive to run the place in winter when things are really slow. But they decided to stay open to help people on the road...I was so happy to hear that since we would have no idea what to do if they were closed. =)

So now I'm in my house in Fairbanks working. Man...cable is not available at our house so we got Dishnetwork and Hughesnet internet. Dishnetwork-can't get HD channels or any local channels here. Hughesnet internet-still pretty slow (voice delay and blurry video on Skype) even tho they marketed "high speed". Since internet is slow, my plan of using a voice IP internet phone won't work so I need to look into getting a land line for work...any suggestions???

Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Good to hear you made it. I'm not sure where you're living, but I have Dish Network and get most of the HD channels, the premiums (HBO, etc) only work in HD occasionally, and I have all of the locals, too. (no HD locals, except for sports on NBC occasionally)

As for internet - again, depends on your location, but I use the ACS DSL and speeds are quite good, even at the mid-range package.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:42 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Pictures?
Welcome to Alaska!

Old 02-14-2012, 07:30 PM

I live up the hills off of Chena Pump/Chena point. The Dishnetwork guys said that because of our location/satellite angle, there's just no way to get HD and local channel even if they give us the dish...=( I chose Hughesnet initially because of their promotions which pretty = free dish. However, they neglected to tell me that I'm responsible for the installation (saw their web that says free installation but when I called in later, they said it's only the lower 48). And the guy came and worked on the installation for like 2 days. The issue then came up (re. payment) when he was almost done. He told me he could just leave without finishing it. But then I waited that long and I feel bad for the guy...so I ended up using Hughesnet...sigh!

Sorry...not really any good pictures since we both drove. And we were nervous most of the time because we've never done anything like this...=)

mreece: have you tried video conferencing with your internet??? How is the connection with video? If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay per month? Do you have a cap on the download?

Also...what insurance company do most people or Dr. use here? It turns out my company's insurance doesn't cover anything outside of CA so I have to shop for an individual/family health insurance now....grrrr

Old 02-15-2012, 05:05 PM

I frequently use skype and ichat video. it's decent but not great, i have the mid-range bandwidth (1 mbps down / 320 up) which is $70. their high-end (3mbps down / 512 up) is $90. definitely more expensive than down south, and slower than cable, but there's no data limit, which i think GCI has here...

Old 02-15-2012, 08:36 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,275 times
GCI and Hughsnet both have limits. I live right down below you on the Tanana River, howdy neighbor. I have ACS internet, midrange is like $60 a month, no limit. They also have my land line. The only cell reception that works at my home location, also known as the deadzone lol, is AT&T. So I have to have a land line for phone at home.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 AM

5 posts, read 6,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blin9465 View Post
I live up the hills off of Chena Pump/Chena point. The Dishnetwork guys said that because of our location/satellite angle, there's just no way to get HD and local channel even if they give us the dish...
Which satellites are you bringing in? Pretty sure the 110 brings in locals, and there are HD channels on both the 119 and 129 satellites, although the 129 has more of them.

Ran into the same problem with the local channels, and our local dish guy really helped us out. Call Dish, and give them a zip code for the service address in the MatSu Borough, as opposed to Fairbanks area. Leave the billing address the same, and your street the same on the service address, just change the zip code and town. They have no idea where what is what up here anyway. This will enable you to receive local channels, although they will be out of Anchorage.

I know plenty of people who have done this, because of some BS in the programming up here.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
Which satellites are you bringing in? Pretty sure the 110 brings in locals, and there are HD channels on both the 119 and 129 satellites, although the 129 has more of them.

Ran into the same problem with the local channels, and our local dish guy really helped us out. Call Dish, and give them a zip code for the service address in the MatSu Borough, as opposed to Fairbanks area. Leave the billing address the same, and your street the same on the service address, just change the zip code and town. They have no idea where what is what up here anyway. This will enable you to receive local channels, although they will be out of Anchorage.

I know plenty of people who have done this, because of some BS in the programming up here.
Hummm...interesting....There was already a Dish set up outside of our house from our neighbor in the next unit so I have no idea what size it is. The installation guy was the one telling us no HD and no local channels due to our location.

But if I call Dish now, won't they question why I'm only changing the city/zip of the service address and also keeping the billing address exactly the same??? I don't care where the local channels are coming from...I desperately need those sitcoms we are used to watching!!!

Old 02-25-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post

Hey Mad Dog...thanks so much for your suggestion...I did exactly what you said and viola...local channels from Anchorage!!! Yay! Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks